SR1911 10mm Failure...And The Final Update

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonti77

Single-Sixer
WAYNO said:
This has gotten a bit out of control. There's no doubt I'm disappointed with this particular pistol, but I've owned 4 other Ruger 1911's and they've performed flawlessly. And this one did too until the little setback. Heliman's otherwise identical pistol has been great.

I expect that eventually this pistol will be made right. I just needed to rant a bit first. If I needed another 1911, I would not hesitate to buy another, but I still believe the 10mm is a punishing cartridge for a semi auto pistol. The stars, moon and planets really need to be aligned when the monkeys at the factory are making these.

I agree and I still give serious consideration to the 9mm version. I really like the aesthetics of these target models, with the nitride-coated bull barrels offsetting the stainless finish. Even the 10mm version I consider to be a tremendous value for what you pay. But if I bought one in 10mm, I admit I would probably only shoot 40S&W out of it, if not have a Nowlin 40-cal barrel installed altogether.

Yawn

Blackhawk
WAYNO said:
cmonti77 said:
This has been a pretty eye-opening thread with regard Ruger's present QC, and reinforces my appreciate for this forum. I was seriously considering one of those new 'target' SR-1911's (albeit the 9mm version) but now I think I'll wait for Coonan to make a 9mm.

This has gotten a bit out of control. There's no doubt I'm disappointed with this particular pistol, but I've owned 4 other Ruger 1911's and they've performed flawlessly. And this one did too until the little setback. Heliman's otherwise identical pistol has been great.

I expect that eventually this pistol will be made right. I just needed to rant a bit first. If I needed another 1911, I would not hesitate to buy another, but I still believe the 10mm is a punishing cartridge for a semi auto pistol. The stars, moon and planets really need to be aligned when the monkeys at the factory are making these.

Wayno,

I think your comments snd the comments of others turned the discussion from the gun to Rugers customer service. No one is disputing that Ruger can make a fine gun. But multiple people speaking of piss poor customer service on this issue is alarming. But them nit fixing the problem, and testig in lower strength calibers because that is what they jnow the gun can only handle is now acceptable, especially in the 10mm market. No, this isnt an caliber wide issue among their product line... My guess is that Ruger got into the 10mm semi market before it was ready to and now are in too deep to make it right propperly and keep stock prices high. But that midset is not the Ruger that many of us have known... and may be signalling the shift from them that many of us have been concerned about. If my life snd my fsmilies life is standing behind a firearm, i need the manufacturer of that firearm to stand behind their gun... all of them. None of us carry a gun that ftfs every now and again, so why would i carry a gun from a manifacturer who operates manufacturing, qc, and/or customer service as a ftf every now and again. If your gun had sheared in a firefight, instead of target practice, well... this woukd have been a whole different conversation... and "we only test at low powered loads" would have been much worse. Ruger is not giving acceptable response snd not standing behind their product... that is an ftf each time they do that... snd i will most likely look elswhere in the future for new model firearms.

That is my takeaway from all of this.

Yawn

Blackhawk
cmonti77 said:
WAYNO said:

I agree and I still give serious consideration to the 9mm version. I really like the aesthetics of these target models, with the nitride-coated bull barrels offsetting the stainless finish. Even the 10mm version I consider to be a tremendous value for what you pay. But if I bought one in 10mm, I admit I would probably only shoot 40S&W out of it, if not have a Nowlin 40-cal barrel installed altogether.

That true and honest statement of only shooting 40sw out of a 10mm firearm is exactly the point of what i am spesking of. That is a big stagement in a loss of trust and a shame for a 10mm firearm.

I dont want the surgeon operating on my leg who usually gets it close to right, but tells his patients about the advances of prostetics and wishes them the best of luck when he gets it wrong because deep down he is reslly an srm surgeon only. I actually dont even want him working on my arm either if he is dispalying the attitude to any patient... would you? I want the surgeon who is almost always perfect, and fixes my leg to perfect when he gets it wrong the first time... dont you?

Mike J

Hunter
Heliman said:
I just got off the phone with Ruger Customer Service regarding this issue with "powder puff +P" loads as it pertains to failure to feed issues. He repeatedly said that this pistol is engineered to handle "standard SAAMI loadings". I finally got the guy to say it is not designed to handle +P+ loads. He also said the pistol doesn't like some hollow point bullets. Geez, why do I have this pistol? I bought it for a stand alone woods gun. I wanted to be able to load it with "factory hunting loads". I guess it is a good thing that I bought a Sig P220 Elite for the intended purpose. It eats everything with complete reliability.....

Surely someone will say that I should use a .41 Mag or .44 Mag revolver for this purpose. Well, the Ruger 10mm holds 8+1 as does the Sig and they carry better FOR ME...... The Sig will be my choice for this purpose and the Ruger just a range gun with anemic potential.

Wilson Combat does sell a 23-24 lb. recoil spring.....Hmmm? 8)

Dave

While reading this thread I was wondering if a heavier recoil spring might make the difference. You shouldn't have to do that but if I owned one & was having these issues I would probably give it a try.

grobin

Blackhawk
Considering the problems the other manufacturers have had with the 10 mm autos I don't don't feel that Ruger is doing too bad; but I expect better. Apparently the only ones not having issues are SIG & TNW. The Glock 40 seems to be OK, but the other Glocks have a tendency to discombobulate when fed maximum loads. I don't see problems with the Redhawk in 10mm.

grobin said:
Considering the problems the other manufacturers have had with the 10 mm autos I don't don't feel that Ruger is doing too bad; but I expect better. Apparently the only ones not having issues are SIG & TNW. The Glock 40 seems to be OK, but the other Glocks have a tendency to discombobulate when fed maximum loads. I don't see problems with the Redhawk in 10mm.

You are not going to have problems with a Redhawk. Full house 10mm ammo is a fluffy kittens cat compared to full house 41 mag let alone the 44 mag, 454 etc.

Yawn

Blackhawk
grobin said:

Exactly Grobin..I expect better. Not perfection, but better customer service and problem solving. I initially purchased my first Ruger in part because of comments in this Forum that Ruger will make it right. Search that or similar phrases and will find not shortsge of abundance wih regards to that! But they arent making it right. And that is a big knock on their branding and trust in my opinion.

Yawn said:
grobin said:

Exactly Grobin..I expect better. Not perfection, but better customer service and problem solving. I initially purchased my first Ruger in part because of comments in this Forum that Ruger will make it right. Search that or similar phrases and will find not shortsge of abundance wih regards to that! But they arent making it right. And that is a big knock on their branding and trust in my opinion.

Todays update...

Both Ruger and Federal Cartridge are now interested in my pistol.

Ruger sent me another return label, and I shipped the pistol to them today. I asked them to either give me a refund, or replace the pistol. We'll see.

And Federal Cartridge? They pretended they never saw my original correspondence to them, but magically they saw my correspondence when Ruger insinuated that the Federal ammo was loaded to +P or +P+, which it is not. So Federal had me package up their remaining ammo, and arranged for a UPS truck to pick it up at my house and they would supply the shipping label. But then the drivers saw the ORM-D label on the box and completely freaked out. They refused to accept an ammo package. This is getting totally off the wall crazy.

Heliman said:
Yeah, if you ship ammo through UPS you need to go to a hub........they won't pick up, but will deliver. :?

Wouldn't you think Federal would know that? They are the ones that arranged the pickup, arranged the shipping label directly from the UPS driver, including the hazard placard and ORM-D label. Somewhere along the way, wouldn't someone have said, "you can't do that?"

There is a lot of confusion regarding shipping ammo, and there shouldn't be. This is just one example of information I've found online...

"According to UPS Hazardous Material Center, you can have ammunition picked up at your front door if you have a UPS account. You still have to have the proper markings on the box."

In this case I was not the shipper. Federal was the shipper, and yes they do have a UPS account.

Their letter to me...

Okay, lets pickup that box of ammo for testing. Do you have the damaged barrel that we can examine or did Ruger keep it since they replaced it.

Package any remaining ammo back into a factory box (w/plastic holder or tray, if applicable) then into a sturdy corrugated cardboard box and tape securely closed. Using a black magic marker or other suitable method, obscure or black out any other markings or addresses that may appear on your box. We do not provide the box or packaging material.

Print out and apply the following Limited Quantity marking to one side of the box: https://www.ups.com/img/en/ormd_ammunition_diamond.jpg

We will have a UPS driver come to your address with a prepaid shipping label, they will not leave the label they will place it on the package and bring back here for us to examine.

We do not have the actual label to send to you; the UPS driver will print it and bring with them at the time of pick up.

UPS does make 3 attempts to pick up the package and they will not come out on weekends or holidays, if you are comfortable with leaving the package out for the UPS driver to pick up, please do so. We have no control over what day or what time UPS will come to pick up the package as UPS schedules the pick up for when it will work for the driver in your area.

If you do not want to leave the package out for UPS pick up, we can pick up from a different address or you can ship the product to us and we would reimburse you for the shipping cost.

Let us know if this works for you and we will contact UPS, we unfortunately cannot pick the day or time they will arrive, UPS schedules pickups for when it best works for the driver in your area.

Mike J

Hunter
It stinks that you are going through so much hassle with this. I hope they get all of it sorted out. Please keep us posted on the outcome.

Yawn

Blackhawk
WAYNO said:
Yawn said:
grobin said:

Todays update...

Both Ruger and Federal Cartridge are now interested in my pistol.

Ruger sent me another return label, and I shipped the pistol to them today. I asked them to either give me a refund, or replace the pistol. We'll see.

And Federal Cartridge? They pretended they never saw my original correspondence to them, but magically they saw my correspondence when Ruger insinuated that the Federal ammo was loaded to +P or +P+, which it is not. So Federal had me package up their remaining ammo, and arranged for a UPS truck to pick it up at my house and they would supply the shipping label. But then the drivers saw the ORM-D label on the box and completely freaked out. They refused to accept an ammo package. This is getting totally off the wall crazy.

Wow! Yes, it is totally off the wall crazy! It has made the website even more interesting though!!

I am so sorry Wayno! Ruger just seems to keep digging this whole and i think federal will add a few scoops out of it for them. At this point, i hope you get your money back and a gift card for some free swag

Handgun$1

Bearcat
Hello everyone, I just joined.
I also have had my SR1911 10mm barrel break. After about 200 rounds, the lug on the bottom of the barrel was almost completely sheared off. I sent it to Ruger and they replaced the barrel. I fired about another 200 rounds (S&B) today and, when I took it apart the lug was cracked again. This time from the front to the link pin. I will call them again soon, this is not good.

cmonti77

Single-Sixer
Handgun$1 said:
Actually it cracked from the BACK to the link pin. How do I post photos?

1.) Go to https://postimages.org

2.) Choose the picture from your files and upload

3.) After the upload completes, click 'direct link' from the selection of links

4.) Copy the image URL in between the 'Img' brackets to display the image in your forum post

Handgun$1

Bearcat
[ https://s18.postimg.cc/44so2yj55/BA70_CF81-8614-4_FBE-933_F-140_C6728_E251.jpg ][/img]

This is the replacement barrel unfortunately, I did not take a picture of the first one.

Handgun$1

Bearcat
Sorry to join and post so much right away but, I don't know anyone locally to talk to about 1911s. I have a couple of questions regarding my 10mm.

Could these barrels breaking this way be dangerous? In neither occurance was there a malfunction or other indication of the breakage as with the original poster.

Would you ask Ruger for anything other that a repair? I will never be able to trust this pistol nor, feel that it is safe?

Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts