New Full-Size Lightweight SR1911

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Palmetto State Armory sent me a flyer a week ago with the full-size alloy framed SR1911 at a very aggressive price. I cursed, and then clicked "add to cart". This showed up a few days later. I've got some other irons in the fire right now, but I hope to get to the range with it before the end of the year.

It does seem to have a very stout recoil spring. That concerns me a bit on an alloy gun. Should an alloy-framed gun have a stronger than standard spring?

PXL_20231110_025801666.jpg

PXL_20231110_025819262.jpg

Possibly, but I believe that I have heard that strong recoil spring can lead to cracking of the frame at the dust-cover or the take-down pin hole...?

Cholo

Staff member
It does seem to have a very stout recoil spring. That concerns me a bit on an alloy gun. Should an alloy-framed gun have a stronger than standard spring?
It might. I feel pretty certain that Ruger knows the best spring to put in their LW 1911's for shooting standard 45 ACP offerings.

I did too until I got the Lightweight Commander in 9mm.
Same. Not only that, I'm a big fan of 9mm in 1911s. I have a Les Baer Custom Carry II that is just a laser beam and easy to shoot. I know some purists won't have a 1911 in anything other than .45 ACP, but I am confident that JMB would have happily chambered it in anything else if a contract materialized. But, I do have several 1911s and most are .45.

Trooper Joe

Single-Sixer
After buying 3 guns in the last several years from PSA, I had trouble with the 4th gun purchase. It was an RIA 1911 that had a serious idiot scratch on the frame and slide. This was allegedly a new in the box-firearm that had obviously been mishandled by someone.

PSA advised that I had to send it to RIA repair. RIA repair required that I had to have my local dealer send it at my cost.

I contacted my credit card company and PSA sent me an approved return authorization the next day. As soon as they received it the charges were removed from my credit card. There was no notification of being "banned for life" by returning a defective item.

In the last several weeks, I have tried twice to purchase two more firearms and was denied by PSA each time.

Has anyone else had this kind of trouble with PSA? Please disguise your identity if you reply. I would not want anyone else to be "banned for life" also.

Trooper Joe

neorebel

Bearcat
I picked one of these up from my LGS last week and took her out the next day to shoot it after a thorough cleaning and lube with lubriplate 105.

She was amazing no hiccups or problems of any kind. VERY accurate out of the box.

When I saw the price for it at $600 I was shocked. Why is Ruger selling them for so little?

Ruger makes amazing weapons and at this price it was a no-brainer for me.

I love the light weight for carrying. Yes, it may not be much, but it helps.

I have been carrying for over 30 years and I can say the lighter weight makes a difference to me.

Cracking? I've never seen it with an aluminum frame Ruger.

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
Ruger owns 'Pine Tree Castings' in NH which has been making cast frames and parts for Ruger And other Manufactures for a very long time.....

( In my opinion ) they are the very best at what they do..... so much so, other gun makers go there for their frames as well...

I would never sweat owning a Ruger cast frame.... steel or aluminum......esp. when that's the way most if not all guns are heading.....( other than polymer )

Latest posts