SR1911 10mm Failure...And The Final Update

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asltrfl

Bearcat
Wow! When I first saw the pics, I thought for a minute that Ruger had come out with investment cast barrels

MTbisley44 said:
Any updates for us?

On the second page of this thread, I reported Ruger had replaced the barrel and tested it with thirty rounds of soft-puffer ammo.

I have since tested it with maybe 300+ rounds of some much more potent ammo with no indication of a barrel lug failure.

This new barrel does not feed as well as the original barrel and I've experienced quite a few mis-feeds. Some ammo is worse than others. I have polished the feed ramp and although it now feeds better, it's not yet perfect. I'll keep trying. I will not yet carry this gun in a social situation or in the mountains.

April 3rd...Another range report...Burned another 50 rounds today. Seems to not matter what ammo, 1 in 8 rounds fails to feed. The rounds get halfway in the chamber and things come to a halt. The jam is easily cleared, and the same round drops in the chamber effortlessly. This is becoming a very expensive range gun.

Yawn

Blackhawk
I think it should become a frequent flier back to prescott asap. You shouldnt have he fix of one problem to cause another.

Yawn said:
I think it should become a frequent flier back to prescott asap. You shouldnt have he fix of one problem to cause another.

I fully agree. On the other hand, if returning the gun for repair causes a new problem each time, I will try to weed the problem out myself first.

Yawn

Blackhawk
Well, I agree to that... but i would give Ruger one last chance first. Actually, i would give them one more chsnce before I just demanded a brand new firearm from them.

Yawn said:
Well, I agree to that... but i would give Ruger one last chance first. Actually, i would give them one more chsnce before I just demanded a brand new firearm from them.

WAYNO and I shoot together. Lately we have been trying to iron out problems with cycling/feeding high power rounds. I have had an occasional failure with my SR, but WAYNO's pistol jam's quite a bit more. We have done a lot of expensive testing and trials at the range, but still the problem exists. I personally think, at this point, that it is a recoil spring issue. Ruger spring rate 18/19 lbs. Wilson Combat shows springs in the 19 lb. range for 45 +P , but 24 lb for 10mm/460 Rowland. Now, will the spring be too heavy for standard loads? Dunno, but higher spring rate may be the answer.... OR just send it back to Ruger.

Dave

I am losing interest with this 1911.

I have polished the feed ramp, I have smoothed the breach face. I have tried cleaning the gun during range sessions when it starts misbehaving. I've swapped magazines. Seems there's nothing I can do to make this gun run with heavy loads. Sure, by spending more of my own money I can change springs. I can also experiment with small-or-no radius firing pin stops.

I have truly spent hundreds of dollars on ammo trying to figure out what makes this gun work. And remember, this gun operated perfectly, even with heavy loads, up until the barrel lug sheared off. Since Ruger has replaced the barrel, I've had nothing but fits with this gun. And Dave's gun runs quite well with any and all ammo, and he has all the original springs and firing pin stops as I do.

Finally, Ruger has told me they test these 1911's with low power ammo. If I return this gun again, and it operates perfectly with the low powered stuff, which it will, then I fear they'll return it to me saying there's nothing wrong.

So in the meantime I have an $800 pistol that I cannot use anywhere but at the range. Yep, I can shoot only low powered ammo, and it will function well with it. But powder-puff 10mm ammo defeats the purpose of the 10mm. I want to shoot, and I expect to shoot, 10mm ammo loaded to the levels the cartridge was originally designed for. Otherwise I may as well be shooting a 40 S&W pistol.

Eventually I'll rekindle the ambition to resolve these issues, but in the meantime I'm taking a break.

WAYNO. :cry:

Cholo

Staff member
WAYNO, that's really disappointing. For the life of me I can't figure why Ruger would test them with low powered rounds. That's almost like testing their .357's with .38's.

Bear Paw Jack said:
Sorry to hear that. I know you were excited about the gun when you got it. Believe I would call Ruger and talk to the supervisor on this and see what he says.

I really was excited when it was working well. As I said, it was the best shooting 1911 I've ever shot, regardless of caliber. But prior to that, I also said I had no interest in any 10mm semi auto, as I didn't believe any semi-auto could hold up to the 10mm cartridge. Looks like I'm still partially correct. When some dust settles, I will contact Ruger.

Cholo said:
WAYNO, that's really disappointing. For the life of me I can't figure why Ruger would test them with low powered rounds. That's almost like testing their .357's with .38's.
That's what I have stated also. On the other hand, at well over a dollar per round for higher-velocity factory ammo, if they tested too much with this stuff, it would erase any profit on such a gun. :wink:

Yawn

Blackhawk
Heliman said:
Yawn said:

WAYNO and I shoot together. Lately we have been trying to iron out problems with cycling/feeding high power rounds. I have had an occasional failure with my SR, but WAYNO's pistol jam's quite a bit more. We have done a lot of expensive testing and trials at the range, but still the problem exists. I personally think, at this point, that it is a recoil spring issue. Ruger spring rate 18/19 lbs. Wilson Combat shows springs in the 19 lb. range for 45 +P , but 24 lb for 10mm/460 Rowland. Now, will the spring be too heavy for standard loads? Dunno, but higher spring rate may be the answer.... OR just send it back to Ruger.

Dave

But if standard spring weight were the problem, why wouldnt everyone be having similar issues? Why wouldnt your issues be as bad as Waynos?

Yawn

Blackhawk
Cholo said:

That is a strike in my opion against Ruger! Testing 10mm guns with low power loads is not evidence of 5e good customer service that i have been hearing about. I know many cars that run breat if you keep the speed below 25mph. Or this is like the government saying we lowered taxes, but in reality just calling your boss and having him lower your salary. Wow, that is a really big knock on Ruger to me

Yawn

Blackhawk
WAYNO said:
Cholo said:

That's what I have stated also. On the other hand, at well over a dollar per round for higher-velocity factory ammo, if they tested too much with this stuff, it would erase any profit on such a gun.

Well then, maybe they shouldnt build a gun that doesnt require that much testing. Unacceptable

I just got off the phone with Ruger Customer Service regarding this issue with "powder puff +P" loads as it pertains to failure to feed issues. He repeatedly said that this pistol is engineered to handle "standard SAAMI loadings". I finally got the guy to say it is not designed to handle +P+ loads. He also said the pistol doesn't like some hollow point bullets. Geez, why do I have this pistol? I bought it for a stand alone woods gun. I wanted to be able to load it with "factory hunting loads". I guess it is a good thing that I bought a Sig P220 Elite for the intended purpose. It eats everything with complete reliability.....

Surely someone will say that I should use a .41 Mag or .44 Mag revolver for this purpose. Well, the Ruger 10mm holds 8+1 as does the Sig and they carry better FOR ME...... The Sig will be my choice for this purpose and the Ruger just a range gun with anemic potential.

Wilson Combat does sell a 23-24 lb. recoil spring.....Hmmm? 8)

Dave

cmonti77

Single-Sixer
This has been a pretty eye-opening thread with regard Ruger's present QC, and reinforces my appreciate for this forum. I was seriously considering one of those new 'target' SR-1911's (albeit the 9mm version) but now I think I'll wait for Coonan to make a 9mm.

cmonti77 said:
This has been a pretty eye-opening thread with regard Ruger's present QC, and reinforces my appreciate for this forum. I was seriously considering one of those new 'target' SR-1911's (albeit the 9mm version) but now I think I'll wait for Coonan to make a 9mm.

Let me be the first to say that the other SR1911 models have been flawless for me. It just seems to be this particular 10mm offering that is troublesome. JMO though...

Dave

Heliman said:
I just got off the phone with Ruger Customer Service regarding this issue with "powder puff +P" loads as it pertains to failure to feed issues. He repeatedly said that this pistol is engineered to handle "standard SAAMI loadings". I finally got the guy to say it is not designed to handle +P+ loads.

Dave

But we're not talking +P+ loads. We're talking SAAMI loads at the upper end of the factory loaded 10mm spectrum. Why would he feel the need to mention +P+ loads? Is this how they're trying to get out of any responsibility?

WAYNO said:
Heliman said:
I just got off the phone with Ruger Customer Service regarding this issue with "powder puff +P" loads as it pertains to failure to feed issues. He repeatedly said that this pistol is engineered to handle "standard SAAMI loadings". I finally got the guy to say it is not designed to handle +P+ loads.

Dave

But we're not talking +P+ loads. We're talking SAAMI loads at the upper end of the factory loaded 10mm spectrum. Why would he feel the need to mention +P+ loads? Is this how they're trying to get out of any responsibility?

Probably. He was defensive right away, like he had had the same comments from other folks....

cmonti77 said:

This has gotten a bit out of control. There's no doubt I'm disappointed with this particular pistol, but I've owned 4 other Ruger 1911's and they've performed flawlessly. And this one did too until the little setback. Heliman's otherwise identical pistol has been great.

I expect that eventually this pistol will be made right. I just needed to rant a bit first. If I needed another 1911, I would not hesitate to buy another, (.45 or 9mm) but I still believe the 10mm is a punishing cartridge for a semi auto pistol. The stars, moon and planets really need to be aligned when the monkeys at the factory are making these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts