Help Support Ruger Forum:

Campagnolo

Bearcat
OK I tried the Texas gunrunner's test. Results as follows:

sp 101 22 - unfired 22 falls in to 4 of 8 holes in front of cylinder

old model single six - unfired 22 falls into all 6 holes

New model single six - unfired 22 falls into all 6 holes

Old model bearcat - unfired 22 falls into all 6 holes

S&W 617 - unfired 22 will not fall into any of the 6 holes - in fact the lead bullet will not fit into any of the 6 holes This is a significant difference with the S&W WHY????????

Campy :shock:

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
Campagnolo said:
OK I tried the Texas gunrunner's test. Results as follows:

sp 101 22 - unfired 22 falls in to 4 of 8 holes in front of cylinder

old model single six - unfired 22 falls into all 6 holes

New model single six - unfired 22 falls into all 6 holes

Old model bearcat - unfired 22 falls into all 6 holes

S&W 617 - unfired 22 will not fall into any of the 6 holes - in fact the lead bullet will not fit into any of the 6 holes This is a significant difference with the S&W WHY????????

Campy :shock:
The S&W cylinder is chambered with a reamer . The ones that drop in are just drilled cylinder with a drill bit and the bullet is not sealing in them .

DVRich

Bearcat
Tx gun runner said:
Take unfired 22LR and see if it drop in the front of cylinder . If it goes all the in the cylinder and don't stop like in pic , it is drilled out and not chamber , it won't seal correctly or shoot for beans plus it will leadup super fast . That's why I sold my last 3 Ruger 22 revolvers . I couldn't find any ammo to shoot good in them and I spent a 1/2 day cleaning the lead out of barrel .

Picture1030.jpg

I own 2 .22 single sixes plus 1 brand new hunter single six and they are all like this. I don't have any lead buildup and they all shoot just fine. After firing at the range, I run a bore brush through the barrel once and a cleaning patch....barrel clean. I went to the gunshop where I bought it and they have 6 brand new.22 single six models.....they are all the same way...the .22 LR can be put in the business end and they will slide all the way in to the rim.
I guess that is the way they are supposed to be. I couldn't imagine all of them are defective.

001-1.jpg

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
DVRich
I didn't say they are defective . It is a super cheap way of making a 22 gun that will leads up and don't shoot for beans . The avg people that buys that gun will never complain because they don't shoot that good . They will blame the ammo or there shooting skills not the gun . I own 8 SA Rugers and love them . I've owned 3 Ruger SA 22LR in the last 12 yrs and could not get any of them to shoot over 50 rounds without leading up and the more you shoot the worse it gets .

DVRich

Bearcat
Tx gun runner said:
DVRich
I didn't say they are defective . It is a super cheap way of making a 22 gun that will leads up and don't shoot for beans . The avg people that buys that gun will never complain because they don't shoot that good . They will blame the ammo or there shooting skills not the gun . I own 8 SA Rugers and love them . I've owned 3 Ruger SA 22LR in the last 12 yrs and could not get any of them to shoot over 50 rounds without leading up and the more you shoot the worse it gets .[/quot

Never have had any problems with leading up and when I go to the range I normally shoot about 300 rds minimum. From a sandbag rest at 25 yards, 1 inch groups. Wouldn't trade my single actions for all the gold in Mike Tyson's mouth.
People also say the Ruger Mark IIIs jam excessively until they are broken in......I have fired about 3000 rounds through my Ruger Mark III Competition and still waiting for the first jam.
I used nothing but Federal Champions.
I do wish that Ruger would make Houge grips standard.
This is the first time I ever heard of this problem and nobody here complains about lead fouling and accuracy problems.
I can hit a beer can at 50 yds with no problems with CCI Target ammo from a rest......of course I have 20/10 vision.
Sorry you have had problems, but I am impressed with my single sixes.
As soon as Ruger comes out with a 6.5" barrel SP101, it'll be mine.

DPris

Buckeye
Geeze, I have never had a Ruger Single-Six lead up, period.
My oldest one from 1975 has (embarrassed as I am to admit it) gone for a couple years at a time more than once between cleaning, involving several hundred rounds, and never leaded.
Denis

9x19

Hunter
slofyr said:
DPris said:
....I'm thinking the eastern plant's gettin' business done nowdays after the QC issues it was having a while back. ...

There is absolutely no excuse for any of Ruger's facilities to have quality control problems at any time in the build process. The company has been in business for decades and should have figured it out years ago. Ruger tries to be as good as Smith but just keeps dropping the ball.

S&W goodness? :shock:

SWbrokenbarrel.jpg

slofyr

Bearcat
I've observed the barrel from a Smith centerfire revolver bouncing end-over-end downrange after the shooter fired a hot home load in it. I've also seen a Beretta/Uberti launch the top strap into the ceiling and the side of the cylinder through the lane divider. Not sure what happened to this Ruger, but I'd bet its inferior metallurgy yielded to a bit too much pressure like that Smith. :wink: Any handgun can be buggered.

2s0ld6u.jpg

9x19

Hunter
Nope,

No excess pressure involved. S&W went thru a period of over-torquing their barrels a few years back... you'd think they've had time to figure out NOT to do that by now.

:lol:

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
I got a Baby Vaquero in 22LR 5.5 SS , because the grip frame is the same size and weight as my Vaquero 4.62 SS SASS match guns and would be the perfect gun to practice with . I had 13 steel target setup in my back yard to practice on for rifle and pistol . I could load ammo for my centerfire guns faster then clean the lead out of the 22 Vaquero , plus the 22 start shooting wildly after as little as 100 rds . If you got one that don't leadup and shoots good , you are super lucky . This forum and other ones has ton of complains about Ruger 22 revolvers accuracy . I didn't start this post , I gave my point of view .

357Nut

Bearcat
Lets not turn this thread into a S&W versus Ruger war. They both make good products and they each can have their issues.

I will come back and let everyone know how the SP-101 works when it returns. UPS did pick it up yesterday as the lady at Ruger said they would.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
357Nut said:
Keep in mind Ruger's warranty is good for anything they made.

Hi,

I must have been asleep the day Ruger started offering a warranty. When was that? None of mine have one, just some mumbo jumbo about how hard it is to offer a written warranty.

Nonsense... that just leaves the door wide open for a memo from the bean counting department, and Ruger's famed customer service is gone. That fast. Ol' Bill mighta been the kind of guy one could trust w/ a handshake, but he's gone... and it's a different world.

Don't believe me? Isn't THIS thread about a "brand new release" that's only half finished cuz someone was trying to save a nickel or so? Seems wise management would at least want to get the product STARTED w/ a good reputation. But...

Rick C

slofyr

Bearcat
My first Ruger was a Bearcat purchased new in 1966, IIRC. It sprayed lead sideways, but still did an adequate job knocking tin cans off of tree stumps, and it was really fun to shoot. Three years later I bought another Bearcat that had the same dang timing problem! Jumping ahead to this decade, I bought a new .22 Single Six convertible that consistently shot three separate groups because of improperly machined chambers. Sold that turkey and bought a 22 Bisley which, except for the weight, was a fine 9-ring gun [B-17 target, 25yds, offhand]. Seeking something lighter and with less forward mass, the next Single Six purchased was an NR4L which I modified with Bisley hammer and trigger. This one is a keeper, a 9-ring gun like the Bisley, and my favorite single-action shooter. Earlier this year I bought a new stainless Bearcat which is about as accurate as a kid's BB gun. Even from a rest at 25 yards it barely groups within the 8-ring.

With the currently fashionable, but marginally useful for bullseye fiber optic plastic sight, the stiff trigger and hammer pull, and straight-bored chambers, it's sort of obvious that Ruger did not intend the new .22 SP101 to be exceptionally accurate. The performance of this revolver seems to echo that old '64 Bearcat of mine that was so bitter-sweet.

Cholo

Staff member
I have only 2 Ruger .22 revolvers, a NM and an OM SS. I can drop LR cartridges in both ends and don't get a bit of leading. The both shoot well under 2" at 25 yds too. I guess I'm just lucky, so I'll buy a lottery ticket tomorrow :wink:

I tried dropping a LR down a Colt SA, one of 3, and a S&W M34; no deal. It sure got me to thinking. Interesting observation Tx gun runner! The proof's in the pudding, but it does make me wonder.

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
Any gun will shoot a luck 5 shot under 2"group at 25 yds . Show me a gun that will shoot a 2" group shooting 10 shots or more group at 25 yds everytime you shoot it is not lucky . This is only the second time I've shot this gun in 30 yrs and 1st time with this load .

Picture1135-1.jpg

357Nut

Bearcat
I received a letter from Ruger just letting me know they received my SP-101 on 11/18/2011.
Hopefully I will have it back before Christmas.

357Nut

Bearcat
UPS dropped off my SP-101 today. According to the paperwork from Ruger they replaced the barrel, cylinder and pawl. It does seem to lock up tighter than before.

I will test it tomorrow at the range and see if it has improved at all.

KLR650

Bearcat
I had one of the older ones a few years back and the only brand that would shoot accurately was CCI Green tag. Everything else was more like a pattern than a group. Had 3 chambers that were hard to load and eject cause they were so tight. Then at about 50 rounds the cylinder would start to bind and at 70 rounds it was locked up tight. Had to take a cue tip and clean beneath the extractor star to get it rolling again. I don't know what the deal is with the rimfire sp101 but they can't seem to get this one right.

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
If I order one now am I for sure going to get one made after the cone problem was corrected?