Insulting the Ruger LCP II 22LR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Nay sayers? What I wrote is not "hear say". I recently took over 100 pounds of "range brass" to the recyclers from my gun club's pistol range. Before the recyclers will accept the range brass it has to be "inspected" for live rounds. During my "inspection" I found over 100 live 22 LR rounds, most had sufficient dents in the rim but were not discharged. If I am correct the method of applying the priming compound in a rim fire case is to put a drop of wet priming compound into the spinning case, the centrifugal force distributes the compound into the rim. If the drop is a "light" drop there may not be enough compound in a spot in the rim thus causing a dud. There are billions of rounds of 22 RF made weekly so the probability is inferior rounds is high. I would expect their priming failure rate is higher than 4 in a million rounds. BTW I found one 9mm dud. Centerfire ammunition is far more reliable.

jav

Single-Sixer
Only this one
image.jpg

jav

Single-Sixer
Although I really like CCI ammo of all sorts, for .22 rimfire I think Aguila is more consistent through my whole collection of ,22, .22LR, and .22 WMR firearms. That being said, the mini-mags will do the job in the LPC II just fine.
You know Joe I did get a bunch of Aguila it did run good in the summer hotter months I started to have trouble with them in the winter . The only thing that would work was the mini msgs 36 . Do I will try them again in the summer both my lcp2 and Walter p22 reacted the same would not shoot them .

You know Joe I did get a bunch of Aguila it did run good in the summer hotter months I started to have trouble with them in the winter . The only thing that would work was the mini msgs 36 . Do I will try them again in the summer both my lcp2 and Walter p22 reacted the same would not shoot them .
I have to admit that my outside shooting becomes limited in the winter as I hate the cold. Winter is indoor range time for me, so I haven't had your experience, and appreciate the heads up. If I ever have to work in the cold I will use my mini-mags. Thanks again.

Reactions: jav

flyboy

Bearcat
I am still experimenting with ammo in my 22LR pistol. It came back from Rugar service with new springs. I think the hottest one I have now and need to shoot it , is the CCI 32 grain 1640 FPS.

The Federal 45 grain under a 1000 FPS was bad. The other two shot okay but still jammed…..

I am spending a lot to find the ammo that works as good as it can.

I'll shoot the federal in my revolver since it shoots anything and that is what I am carrying right now in a sticky pocket holster.

The holster works good and as I said I can pull the revolver and fire within 5 seconds….

If I am right ? the 32 grain lighter bullet 1640fps should be reliable ? Has anyone shot this?

With my level of experience and age, that is okay for now….
17B996E1-D04E-4C6F-9535-B8A434098EE9.jpeg

Last edited:

jav

Single-Sixer
I am still experimenting with ammo in my 22LR pistol. It came back from Rugar service with new springs. I think the hottest one I have now and need to shoot it , is the CCI 32 grain 1640 FPS.

The Federal 45 grain under a 1000 FPS was bad. The other two shot okay but still jammed…..

I am spending a lot to find the ammo that works as good as it can.
I haven't but being at 1640 fps I don't see a problem good luck

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
A friend of a friend bought a Ruger Mk IV on my recommendation. Unfortunately, almost everything he tried in it doesn't cycle well - including my suggested Mini Mags. What does work for him consistently are the Stingers.

Good to see that you're trying a variety.

Just noticed in your photo that CCI created tribute ammo to 22 Plinkster. Wow. If Glock creates a Hicock45 tribute or somebody creates a Paul Harrell tribute, I'm going to have to buy it.

pharmer

Single-Sixer
.22 is better than a sharp stick. Rimfire ignition is the "problem." My experience: I have had maybe a dozen ignition failures in 50+ years of centerfire shooting. One round in a batch of 13,500 WWB I bought cheap had a dead primer. I mostly use bulk box Federal "plated" 36gr HP's and have 1 failure in each box along with "light" powder charges that fail to cycle the gun. "Trendy" rounds are maybe half as bad. Not betting my life on any rimfire including spendy .22 WMRF. $.02 Joe

I seriously doubt those are going anywhere near the posted velocity coming out of a LCP.
Not had my chronograph out in years but my gut says knock about 30 percent at least off those numbers
might be more realistic.
I have never shot any .22 rimfire ammo in any gun ever that did not have a small percentage of failure
to fire. As mentioned before, not so bad in a DA revolver but in an autoloader could get you
killed. And the thing is there's know way to know when the "dud" will appear.

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I liked this pistol for it's size and lack of recoil, since after years of gun ownership I still do not consider myself a crack shot and ready to handle any problem while carrie a gun.

I have a carry license now and went through the course qualified on the range with a 9mm and even passed the written with a required over 80% mark.

So I walk a round with a Rugar 8 shoot 22 revolver with a sticky holster and can pull /it in 5 seconds and start pulling the trigger if need be……

However I also have a Rugar LCP 2 LR 22. I had problems with feed and learned that the ammo could be a problem. To be sure I sent it back the Rugar and they changed the internal springs and shoot 100 rounds with no failure, as their report said!

Great I though and I took it to the range and it did really well but still had a few feed problems.

So, I just bought a 100 rounds of the hottest CCI 36 grain bullet with a rating of over 1600 FPS …… (rifle)

I really like the the little 22LR pistol want to pocket carry it…..

Lastly the reason I am writing this is because I was literally insulted by a range employee, who is an expert in his field that the LR 22 is literally garbage and it is dumb to carry it or even own it.

Now I never will be as proficient and experienced as this fellow but I really like the gun and want to work out the problems.

I am not new to shooting but I am getting older and re-coil is a problem when under a self defense situation……

BTW I dislike people that look down on others with less experience and this is one reason I am writhing this rather lengthy story…..

Thanks
flyboy
Flyboy, i agree. I dont care if a persons wants to carry a starter pistol or siren ,im not going to insult them or the choice of weapon. Respect is a thing that went by the wayside when our parents generation passed.God help us

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thanks for all the replies and I know when one commits to carry that we take on a lot of responsibility and own all rounds coming out of the gun.

The other part of the story is carrying with one in the chamber. During my required NY training it was drummed into us that one in the chamber is the only way . I have to say, i was uncomfortable and again the instructor stressed in the chamber is the only way.

The range qualification required us the draw from a holster to qualify. There were numerous dry runs until we all had the commands down pat. The high accredited instructor was nice but stern with years of training mentioned that a friend of his accidentally shot himself in the leg drawing his pistol. It got my attention. The training went well, but i could see how pulling the trigger at the wrong time was possible. I also practiced a lot pulling and racking the slide over and over until I could do it pretty good. There was even information that the Israeli Defense force carried with no round in the chamber?

So until I am comfortable, I carry the Rugar 8 shoot 22LR revolver with a pocket sticky holster. I practice drawing it and firing at the range. RIght now I am comfortable with it. I can draw it and with the heavy trigger pull fire close range fairly well.

Thanks again and I to add to the story I have a Rugar 10/22 breakdown rifle on order…..Using the best 22LR ammo and the 15/25 round clips makes it a viable weapon and plinker !

Thanks again all
Flyboy
Flyboy... I'm no expert, but I believe that 15/25 round clips are illegal in NY State..... IIRC, 10 rounds are the absolute max... (?)
p.s. over the years, I've learned to ignore "range experts" and gun clerk warriors.... oh, and generally toxic personalities too :)
J.

A .22lr semi auto as a self defense weapon is the one that you should be well trained in stoppage, FTF and failure to eject drills. If not get some dummies and practice the tap, rack and go fail to fire and clear a jam. If you need to know that stuff I can explain it. Better to be taught in with an instructor.

jav

Single-Sixer
You know what is another good 22lr is a blazer 40gr 1235FPS works great in my p22 going to try on the lcp2 next month

Full truth, I don't have an LCp II. I don't have an LCP anything. I know one person who has an LCPII in 22 and it works very well for him.
I believe that if I was going to carry a 22LR it would be one of at least 5 22's that would work for concealed carry. My edc is every thing from one of various 9mm's, various pocket revolvers from 38 Special to 44 Special. I don't live in a dangerous place so I think my risk is very low, but not zero. That's why I carry. One never knows.

I don't think a bad ever looked at a gun pointed at them and said. Oh, it's only a .22 so I can attack them. If that's what you can handle, That's what you can handle. Practice so that even in a bad situation with an adrenalin dump you can hopefully hit where you want to. Shoot till they drop.

I have no problems with Blazer, Aguila (super and sub)sonic, Federal HVHP, or W-W Wildcat.
RWS sub-sonic is accurate but has the slimy grease coating making normal (non-range) use problematic. This is why I no longer recommend it.
The SR22 pistol I carry on the farm is loaded with Federal bulk HVHP and has never failed.

wproct

Single-Sixer
If a person makes the decision to carry a .22 handgun, I can see the advantages of a double-action revolver. In the case of a FTF the next round is only a trigger pull away. However, if one wants a semi-auto handgun, one I always liked is the Beretta model 21 Bobcat. It has a nice stout trigger pull so that when you pull it it's not gonna be by accident. Secondly, in case of a FTF the tip up barrel allows for easy access to the chamber and it makes loading easier as you don't have to manually pull the slide back against the heavy recoil spring.

Reactions: jav

Latest posts