SP-101 22LR TERRIBLE ACCURACY!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

357Nut

Bearcat
I've owned the new SP-101 for about a month now. I was so excited when Ruger came out with this gun. I've put about 40 different kinds of ammo through it and accuracy runs from bad to dismal. A good friend order his at the same time (both from a member of this forum). If anything his SP-101 shoots worse than mine.

Thinking we may not be getting along with the fiber optic front sights I ordered an insert for my Ransom Rest. Testing in the rest produced the same horrible groups (3-4inches) at 25yds that I was getting free hand at 15yds.

Also rounds from SK, RWS and Eley stick in the chambers bad enough that I have to tap on the ejector with a rawhide hammer to remove fired caases.

I own more Ruger revolvers than any 10 men need but this is the first to shoot so poorly. I even have several Single Six convertibles which are not known for their accuracy. They all easily out shoot this gun.

I will be contacting Ruger Monday to see about returning it for repair. Hopefully they will be able to make this gun shoot.

Anybody else out there have the new SP-101 experiencing poor accuracy?

9x19

Hunter
The originals weren't anything special in the accuracy department either.

All three of mine were less accurate than my S&W 63.

A shame really, 'cause I really liked the SP101 better.

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
I have an old model SP101 in 22LR. It is not all that accurate either. I installed some Wolf springs to get the trigger pull down, but that did not help much. My Single Six 4 5/8" barrel outshoots my SP101. The only gun I have that is not as accurate (in my hands) as my SP101 is my new Single Six Birdshead 22. May have something to do with the fixed sights and my degrading eyesight?

Besides the dozens of Single Sixes I have, I also own four S&W 617s, which are all very accurate. With that said, my next revolver will be a S&W 63.

Tuco Tom

Single-Sixer
This SP101 is no target revolver...

I've been paying particular attention to my grip, shooting across sandbags @ 16 yards using the 8-ring, six bull target. I'm slowly getting better with four shots inside the 9-ring with four in the eight ring. Hey I kept them all in the Black!
Using Winchester (Walmart) 555/333 box (36 gr. copper wash H.P. @ 1280fps).
I've had a trigger job done reading +/- 3# on my Lyman guage.
But I had the forcing cone re-cut and I believe this has helped.
I like the factory fiber sights.

The SP101 isn't a target pistol....

Snake45

Hawkeye
Tuco Tom said:
No, but just about any revolver of quality manufacture should be able to stay inside 2-2.5" at 25 yards (if not better), at least with SOME kind of ammo, and preferably a reasonably cheap one. 3-4" groups at 25 is unacceptable for a brand-new revolver in 2011, especially for what a new SP101 costs. I'd send it back to Ruger and tell them to fix it, rebarrel it, whatever it takes, or refund my money and I'd go looking for something else. :evil:

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
Take unfired 22LR and see if it drop in the front of cylinder . If it goes all the in the cylinder and don't stop like in pic , it is drilled out and not chamber , it won't seal correctly or shoot for beans plus it will leadup super fast . That's why I sold my last 3 Ruger 22 revolvers . I couldn't find any ammo to shoot good in them and I spent a 1/2 day cleaning the lead out of barrel .

Picture1030.jpg

DPris

Buckeye
Gauge the forcing cone & see if it's cut too shallow, if possible.
The first one I had was bad & the one I have here now had a very shallow cone, had it opened up.
Indications are some of the first .22 SPs may have shipped that way.
Denis

triker

Single-Sixer
Keep this thread updated guys, it is of interest to me anyway. I have one on order and now thinking about cancel the order if accuracy is that bad. I would like to have a 22 that I could at least hit the side of a barn with. As one poster basically said, as much as it costs, it should be fairly accurate. triker

357Nut

Bearcat
Snake45 said:
Tuco Tom said:
No, but just about any revolver of quality manufacture should be able to stay inside 2-2.5" at 25 yards (if not better), at least with SOME kind of ammo, and preferably a reasonably cheap one. 3-4" groups at 25 is unacceptable for a brand-new revolver in 2011, especially for what a new SP101 costs. I'd send it back to Ruger and tell them to fix it, rebarrel it, whatever it takes, or refund my money and I'd go looking for something else. :evil:

Snake you hit the nail on the head. I have no use for a revolver with this lack of accuracy. For the price it really should shoot much better. I'm hoping Ruger can make it right.

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
This target was shot the day I got the gun . I took the gun out of box and shot 12 rounds on this target and continue to practice shooting on my steel targets . Saved 12 rounds out of a box of 500 to shoot at the end of practice to put on the 1st target to see if after 500 rounds if gun leaded up without a cleaning . Not 1 drop of lead was found in gun when I cleaned it later .
Picture1009-1.jpg

DPris

Buckeye
Don't give up on the gun based on this.
Both samples I've had here were capable of 2 inches & with some loads under 2 inches.
The first, until the cone leaded to the point of slinging Remington target loads sideways at 25 yards, had a best 5-shot 25-yard group of 1 5/16 inches.
The current one, after the cone was corrected, averages just a hair over 2 inches with the American Eagle stuff I usually use as a general purpose round. It'll do better with other rounds, and worse with other rounds.

If you're sufficiently interested, as I was, the .22 Rimfire Plug Gauge is Part # 080-580-122 at Brownells, it sells for $40 & the order line is 800-741-0015.

We'd already gauged the cone on Gun # 2 & found it way off at my gunsmith's (who then opened it up) before I ever fired it, but I wanted my own gauge to compare with other .22 revolvers I have now & may get in the future.

Handy to be able to tell in about a minute if a particular cone's cut out of specs, backed up by a close visual check under bright light to look for machining marks that may also contribute to leading & subsequent inaccuracy.

This gun outshoots my S&W 34, incidentally.

You can either have yours checked locally if you have access to a good gunsmith, return it to Ruger, or buy your own gauge & go from there.

Nobody needs to panic & cancel plans to get one of the new .22 SPs. Ruger's aware of the initial cone problem & has made corrections.
Denis

357Nut

Bearcat
Just an update. I initially used the Ruger online form and received an email telling me where to send the gun for service. This morning I called and talked to a lady asking if they would send a shipping label. She stated they don't do that but she would send UPS to my location to pick it up. So it is going back tomorrow and hopefully will come back fixed.

I still like this revolver (not thrilled with the front sight) and hope it comes back usable.

Denis,

Thanks for that info. I haven't given up yet but others should be aware of these issues and be prepared to lose the gun for however long it takes Ruger to repair it.

DPris

Buckeye
Nut,
I've been advising people of the cone issue for a few weeks now, just to help buyers & prospective buyers be aware & not give up on the gun over the issue.

Ruger's aware, I'm told the problem was identified & corrected in subsequent production.

There are several Ruger products I like & own, and some I don't; this little gun is one I do particularly like.
I just want to see it given a fair chance, and don't want to see people panicking over a few initial reports of problems like yours. :)

In my case, since I have access to a good gunsmith, it was worth it to me to check out the gun live & in person, spend 10 minutes of my life & $20 to get the problem resolved & corrected while I waited. :)

This little gun will see some serious trail time on the ATV.
I need to get back into more rimfire fun shooting, and it's a great instrument for my needs & situation.
Not perfect, but no gun I own is. :)
I'll live with the DA trigger pull & the fiber optic, neither are deal killers.

Hopefully you'll like yours a little better when it comes back home.
Denis

357Nut

Bearcat
Denis,

Sounds like we have some mutual interests. Guns and ATVs are two of my favorite things to do with my free time.

I own several Rugers as well and the recent run of GP-100s (starting with 176) are some of the best Ruger 357s I own. The shoot everything well and some rounds amazingly well. Zero leading on my lead reloads out of the box.

I wish the SP-101 were built to the same standards and hopefully they are now and mine will be corrected. I've sent back a Colt and several Smiths for accuracy problems. This is my first Ruger to go back.

Scott.

DPris

Buckeye
Coincidinkally, I have a new GP here to work with. Had not planned to keep it when done, but it's about the best-made GP I've seen & it'll be staying on.
I'm thinking the eastern plant's gettin' business done nowdays after the QC issues it was having a while back. :)

Denis

slofyr

Bearcat
DPris said:
....I'm thinking the eastern plant's gettin' business done nowdays after the QC issues it was having a while back. ...

There is absolutely no excuse for any of Ruger's facilities to have quality control problems at any time in the build process. The company has been in business for decades and should have figured it out years ago. Ruger tries to be as good as Smith but just keeps dropping the ball.

DPris

Buckeye
Well....I wouldn't say Ruger tries to be as good as S&W and keeps dropping the ball.
Both companies have their good days & their bad days.

One could also say that S&W's been at it even longer & there's no excuse for any S&W plant to have QC issues, but we know they do. :)

The issues at the Eastern plant were not simple & neither is the story.
Regardless, changes were made & the plant seems to be turning out some pretty good stuff in general.
May be some birthing pains with the new .22 SP, time will work things out.
Denis

357Nut

Bearcat
Guess you are a Smith advocate. I have many of each brand and right now Smith isn't producing anything as well finished as the last two GPs I bought. Some of the old Smiths were awesome. The stuff they are building right now leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion.

I've had more issues with Smiths and will always remember when I called after finding the barrel on my new model 27 Performance Center gun was not square to the cylinder. The guy on the phone recommended I just keep it and have the barrel replaced when I had worn it out. Nice service on a $700 gun back in 2000.

I will say my recent experience with Smiths service department was outstanding. They replaced the cylinder on my 10 shot 617 that was not very accurate and had it back to me inside 10 days.

Guess Smith shouldn't be having QC issues either, they have been at it longer than anyone except Colt.

Keep in mind Ruger's warranty is good for anything they made. Smiths lifetime doesn't work on guns made before Safety Hammer took over. I tried to get a bad cylinder on a 17-3 replaced but it isn't covered by their lifetime warranty. Made prior to the present ownership.