Single Six S/N 3007XX

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Street....it may well be that it was shipped with the hard rubber grips. But, original owner says it was purchased with walnut. Other owners of early Magnum Only single sixes have shown that the only indication that their revolver came with walnut was a sticky on the end of their box. Box marked RSSM only. Either way it is a fine example. As a note to all members here.....the lady I spoke with at Ruger, Linda, told me that this extra info is available and will be provided if the request contains a seperate note asking for those particulars. David.
PS- possibly I should note that fact somewhere else here on this board so all members see it?

street

Hunter
Dantforth said:
Street....it may well be that it was shipped with the hard rubber grips. But, original owner says it was purchased with walnut. Other owners of early Magnum Only single sixes have shown that the only indication that their revolver came with walnut was a sticky on the end of their box. Box marked RSSM only. Either way it is a fine example. As a note to all members here.....the lady I spoke with at Ruger, Linda, told me that this extra info is available and will be provided if the request contains a seperate note asking for those particulars. David.
PS- possibly I should note that fact somewhere else her on this board so all members see it?
Yes! All 6 1/2 in Single-Sixes only had RSSM on the box, even the ones with walnut grips, even the convertibles, and even the convertibles with walnut grips. All of these guns the box will only have "RSSM" as the model number on the end of the box. Only the shipper will have RSSM, RSSMW RSSMX to denote the model number. And yes the early ones with walnut grips will have the small brown sticker, "with walnut grips" on the end of the box. This stopped when they started shipping the guns with Walnut grips in 1960 I think! And of course when the XR3-RED grip frame started being used then only walnut was used, in 62-63.

Now as a collector, what someone says doesn't mean anything when you have a letter from Ruger stating otherwise. As a collector only what will letter counts, even if it is wrong. If it's wrong, then one needs to do everything in his power to get it changed. If you can't get it changed then the letter will over ride everything else.

Now the gun in question, which doesn't have the original box, with the walnut sticker, is a RSSM per the Ruger letter. If Ruger says it was shipped with the walnut grips then the letter will state a model number RSSMW, which it doesn't.

So from a collectors point of view then the gun is a magnum only with black hard rubber grips. As most of the early magnum guns were.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
They got everything else right except that .22.22! I spoke to the lady and it definitely was .22 WMR only. No convertibles made then. Is somebody teasing here? So, to be correct I am looking for a set of correct period black rubber XR3 grips to replace those beautiful walnuts. Such is the life of a collector. David

street

Hunter
Ale-8(1) said:
street said:
Finally a correct letter from Ruger. This letter shows it was shipped as a Magnum Only with black hard rubber grips.

I dunno Street. It says ".22.22 W.M.R." in the letter. Convertible or mis-type??

:?

Yes I saw that and I know this is a stretch but maybe they meant it was a .22 caliber and the .22 caliber was a.22W.M.R!!!! Thus the .22.22W.M.R. Anyway at least they didn't say it was a .22LR-.22W.M.R. :roll:

street

Hunter
Dantforth said:
They got everything else right except that .22.22! I spoke to the lady and it definitely was .22 WMR only. No convertibles made then. Is somebody teasing here? So, to be correct I am looking for a set of correct period black rubber XR3 grips to replace those beautiful walnuts. Such is the life of a collector. David

As nice as those grips are I would not have a problem with keeping them on your gun. Some of the people that bought that gun with the black grips. The first thing they did was replace them. They were not all that popular back then. Even Ruger started shipping them with walnut in a couple of years. Just realize that it came with the black grips and tell the person, if you decide to sell it, that the grips are added. After all Stag, Ivory, and these Walnut could be bought from Ruger and added to your gun after it was shipped. If you ever display your Rugers at a Ruger show be sure to list it as having the Walnuts added as an accessory.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Well the box arrived. In better shape than I expected. Whomever has S/N 302981 .......I have your box. So, the box is later than the original would have been as my S/N is 300780. Owners manual is dated 8-1-59. I suspect it is also later than the one which would have been with my revolver? Comments? Photos to follow.