Seater plug for .430 cast bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Boatbuilder

Bearcat
My RCBS 44 spl/mag seater plug for flat nosed bullets is deforming the nose of large diameter meplat cast bullets like the Cast Performance 260 grain design I recently tried. RCBS says that they will make me a custom seater plug, but before going that route, does anyone know of an off-the-shelf seater die from any manufacturer that will handle large diameter meplat cast bullets without deforming them?

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I had the same problem with my flat nosed seater plug marking certain cast bullets that I use in my .454 and .45 ACP. I found the flat nose seater plug from my RCBS .45 Colt die set did not mark them at all. Maybe that will work for you. Some seater plugs have a little rim around the very end that does not match up well with certain hollow point bullet shapes and will cause a ring on the bullet as it is seated. Just removing that little shoulder with a file often solves the issue.RCBS will make one for you though. Send them a request along with a couple sample bullets. They often will do that kind of thing for free just to improve the future product with the same mod if the bullet you use is popular.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have read that you can modify the plug you have with some slow set epoxy glue or epoxy putty so that it fits the nose of your bullet.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
Or maybe just file or grind the seater plug you have so it has a flat surface.
You could probably even contact RCBS & they will send you one for free that you could use to replace the one you modified.

stevemb

Hunter
I chose to mill off the cupped portion of the seating plug. Better to send manufacturer some bullets and money ? Maybe.

Rusty W

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
I have read that you can modify the plug you have with some slow set epoxy glue or epoxy putty so that it fits the nose of your bullet.

I've done this very thing w/a 9mm cast bullet. NOE may have what you need also. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=86&products_id=727&osCsid=5rc6pm16up4kh0n2ovt3th24j7

smorin2

Single-Sixer
ask rcbs for a seater plug-fill with jb wwld-sand smooth-it's what i did for the Lee 310wfngc works great

Boatbuilder

Bearcat
I decided to order the custom seater plug from RCBS and sent them sample bullets and a check for $25. To make my own would require ordering another plug anyway since I want to keep using the one I have for other bullet types. Thanks to all who responded.