Ruger Quality control

Help Support Ruger Forum:

br6ppc

Bearcat
I have owned a number of Ruger revolvers. I have only had a problem with one. The last one I purchased was a BH 41 Mag. Functionally, it's just like every other Ruger I've owned, it worked fine (I don't like the internal lock, personal preference). It has an under rotated barrel. I had to bend the front sight to the right just to get it to shoot to point of aim. The fit of the grip frame is the worst part. The grip frame stands proud of the frame almost 1/8 inch on both sides of the hammer. I ordered this revolver online so I didn't get to see it before purchase. I am going to send it back to Ruger. This is the only problem gun I have ever had from Ruger. This is a great track record, but the obvious defect with the fit of the grip frame, it doesn't reflect well on Ruger QC. I think mine was just a OOPS that happened to make it out the door. I am definitely still going to buy Ruger, looking for a 5.5 SBH right now. None of the mass production companies can have 100% perfect QC and still make the guns affordable. We should let them know of any problems though.

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
My most recent blackhawk also has some issues with the fit of the grip frame. Like the previous poster, it stands a bit proud on either side of the hammer. It has zero impact on how the revolver performs and it's not something I'm worried about. In fact, I had the thing for several months before I even noticed it.

Jeff

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
I thought I had read that when old Bill passed on and the company needed to do some cut backs, QC was the first to go. I agree, I also have had problems with the Quality control for the company, but I still love the product.

To ask why someone would keep buying the products is a stupid question. This is a management problem and could be fixed really fast and at a minimum amount of cost.

Sloppy is not something that endears your customers, now is it?

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
the fatman said:
I'm thinking about ordering a couple of Ruger single actions. You guys are giving me a less than warm fuzzy feeling.

Please don't listen to people on any forum and take it to the bank. Do your own research and go from there my friend.

This is just one of my babies and I love it:

Blackhawk44spec-a.jpg

And this one also:

NewRugerBlackhawk.jpg

Now I would trust my life with anyone of my Ruger handguns.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Thing is it's not just Ruger, it's dang near everyone and quite probably $ related.
I bought a new S&W 460V about a year back. Now it works and there's nothing glaringly wrong with it, BUT, fit and finish is not what I expected from a S&W. Lockup is loose but within spec, barrel gap is large at almost .008 but according to S&W within spec. Trigger is nothing to write home about and no better than the factory Rugers. The overall finish on the gun is just OK.
Want better, pay the BIG bucks to get one of the custom built guns out of the Performance Shop, or pay to have yours worked over.
I've been getting a taste for Marlin 1894c in 357. OMG, you don't want to do some googling and read about the guns that have been coming out of Marlin recently. You absolutely want to see and handle one of these before you do the paperwork.
I don't know, are we expecting too much for the prices we willing to pay for mass produced items, or are we getting hosed?
Sal

RalphS

Single-Sixer
Over the past 8 years or so -

I bought a new S&W K frame revolver. The barrel to cylinder gap was .012. Went back to S&W for a new barrel.

I bought several Remington shotguns new. Half of them had to go back to Remington to fix problems.

My new Marlin 1894c (bought way before the Remington merger) had to go back to Marlin because it wouldn't cycle properly.

My new LCP had to go back to Ruger for a new frame.

My Redhawk 45LC which I bought used but only owned for 2 weeks by the previous owner had a timing problem that had to be fixed by Ruger. I didn't realize that there was a problem when I bought it but it was obviously there since it left the factory. Of course, the cylinder throats need reaming too which I paid CAS to do.

Both of my Redhawks have chipped recoil plates. Recoil plates shouldn't chip. They will need to go back sometime to get this fixed.

Probably half the guns I've bought have had to go back to the factory to fix problems that QC should have found. The interesting thing is that once they go back, I believe that they get looked at by a real gunsmith who goes over everything in the gun and fixes whatever problems he finds. When they first left the factory, I doubt that any real gunsmith inspected the guns.

I am not enthusiastic about buying new guns any more. My Redhawks were bought used but one was a safe queen that was never fired and the other was only owned for 2 weeks by the first owner who bought it for cowboy action shooting and found out that it wasn't really suited for that. Even slightly used guns have problems.

Latest posts