My Factory New Super Blackhawk Hunter and Quality issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Hay Guy's/ Gal's

I have been away from Ruger for a long time now. Really been working on building up my Lever action rifles in most of the calibers that interest me. But after that I have been buying some revolvers to go with my rifles. Recently went looking for a 44 Mag in a revolver and looked at two Ruger Super Blackhawks (wanted single action) one with the 4.2" barrel and one in a Hunter model. I figured on the Hunter model due to the weight and length, and wanted to fit it with a Red Dot along with using factory sights. I brought her home fitted her up with the Red Dot and went to clean her up. Upon opening the Loading Gate, wow took some good force to open it. Really had to force it opened. Took it apart and discovered that the frame next to the pivot point was not really machined very well and was cut at a little angle to where the gate would rub and scrape against that bad cut. Little file work and all is well, gate still a little stiffer than my Vaquero though. But I did order a reduced gate spring for it to help that. Also while taking her apart for the gate problem I noticed that the Transfer Bar, the pin that goes into the trigger was not a round pin but a half moon pin. Knew this could not be right. You could see where it was ground down. Don't know what they were thinking on assembly of this revolver. I wrote Ruger yesterday and asked for them to send me another Transfer Bar. I will see what they say about it. Really kind of disappointed in Ruger Quality the last few guns of theirs that I have purchased.

Took her to the range today to sight her in and see what she does. Very happy with the way she operates and she is very accurate. All though I am disappointed in Ruger quality I am very happy with the way she shoots. The transfer bar although is at an angle to the firing pin she did work. She is at an angle due to that half moon pin. I went ahead and ordered a new transfer bar off of ebay and will keep the one Ruger sends me, if they due as a spare.

Transfer Bar Pin part showing

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Well I got her all fixed up and found out why the transfer bar was ground down like it was. I bought a new transfer bar off of ebay because I did not want to wait on Ruger ( they were doing inventory) nut did send me one. I tore the revolver all the way down and put back together with the new transfer bar. The loading gate would not open. So tore it all back down and realized that the transfer bar was hitting the frame of the revolver when trying to cock the hammer and pull the trigger. Sticking real bad. I ended up have to grind one side of the transfer bar exactly like they did except I left the pin part untouched that went into the trigger. That way the transfer bar always stays straight to the firing pin. While in there I replaced the loading gate spring with a reduced power, Power Customs Spring. I have also replaced the front sight with a fiber optic sight and the rear sight with the V=Notch sight witch I always really liked. The grips that came with the revolver were just fitted horribly. The grip frame stood proud in several areas and were a little uncomfortable to hold (sort of). I replaced them with Maple grips and fitted them.. Now the grips and grip frame are even and feel very good in the hand. I will get pictures up really soon, but the revolver now operates smooth and the loading gate does not try to break your finger when opened. When I first got the revolver home and opened the loading gate for the first time it took a lot of force. Very, very hard to open the first time and very stiff after that. One reason was the poor cut on the frame that rubbed the loading gate and think the rest was that transfer bar set up not letting it clear completely. But now all good and feels and works great. Now very happy with the Super Blackhawk Hunter.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Yes, a working mans brand is Ruger. A working man does not mind to pay for a revolver that is a working mans gun. But he does expect it to function even if the finish is not perfect. But I would rather have to replace a transfer bar if it breaks (probably will never happen) than grind anything down on the frame and make it a little weaker. Glad I got it fixed and did not have to send it back to the mother ship. But that was just a terrible job of fitting any parts. They are probably rushing production so much that they just ground it flat quickly to get it done in time. But now it is corrected as much as possible without touching the frame.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Gads I'm reading a lot nowadays on out of box Ruger and S&W quality (or lack of it) and it's really disconcerting. It's beginning to look like they're using the "Customer Quality Inspection process" instead of actual in house inspections. I'm wondering if they have that much faith in CNC machining to bypass quality control measures?

I now have two older production Ruger Hunter revolvers (2011 in .41 and 2014 in .44) and both are flawless.

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
Gads I'm reading a lot nowadays on out of box Ruger and S&W quality (or lack of it)……
I've read hundreds of those too in the 15 years I've been here. Obviously, problems do happen but there's other things to consider too. I'm way past getting too excited about such events,

One example is the dreaded Redhawk barrel falling off. After all the hoopla, yes it did happen, and to a very small handful ( Less than 10? ) guns all made the same day or week.

Something I learned in marketing classes at Indiana University back in the 80's was that the average happy customer tells one or two people, The average UNhappy customer will tell 50 or more. Not uncommon at all for someone to join here just to bash Ruger or otherwise complain about their recent purchase.

The OP of this thread is NOT one of those. I'm just trying to remind how social media and human nature work.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Hit man thanks fore the post. I am from Bloomington Indiana. raised and lived in Indiana until I was 32 years old and left for work.

I Love my Ruger's and not bashing the guns but am disappointed in their quality as of late. But here is my most recent look at the Super Blackhawk Hunter, in it's finished state.

Finally got some pictures of her today finished and everything working well. Still need to sight her in with the new sights. Suppose to be back up in the 60's by Thursday so maybe then or next weekend. No fun sighting her in when the weather is in single digits to teen digits. Which is very uncommon for a Southern State.

hittman

Staff member
I wasn't taking a shot at you, hope you know that,
Lord knows I too have had problems with a certain gun they have made but …. In reality the problems are a huge MINORITY, not "commonplace"……. Unless of course it's YOUR gun LOL.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
hitman, thanks. I do believe that it is not just Ruger. I've had a Henry problem on a barrel not rifled to a quarter inch of the muzzle also. Good thing Ruger and Henry are both excellent and take care of thier mistakes.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
As I've often said & hittman has also voiced,, the problems are in the minority when you look at the volume of production. And yes,, they will correct mistakes. But also noted is how many crow loudly about a problem,, and yet few praise them.

I've personally owned well over 300 Rugers,, over 40 S&W's, and a variety of other guns. Yet,, I have had very, very few problems.

And yes,, I'm one of the VERY RARE & FEW who actually had a Redhawk barrel separate from a frame.

It's a man made, manufactured product. Nobody, nowhere, in any capacity is 100% perfect (not since Jesus was here,) and all these angry or disparaging folks fail to look at their own mistakes. I've made mistakes, and everybody I've ever met has made some. Ruger manufacturing also has had the occasional mistake.

It's HOW you handle the correction of a problem that truly shows what kind of company, or heck even a person you are.

I still feel that for the money spent on a Ruger,, you get a good bargain. Look at the $50,000.00 (or higher) vehicles we have. Then look at the recalls they have. It happens.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Yes, things do happen and people make mistakes. The assembly line people are probably also the quality control so when they see something wrong they are suppose to fix it or mark it to be fixed. When you are pushed to make the numbers that a company wants with fewer people, things do happen and quality takes a hit. Every company is like this.

Not downing Ruger, just disappointed in this particular Revolver. Would not hesitate to buy another Ruger and will again. Going to be looking for a 357 Vaquero Soon or a Blackhawk. This Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter after getting everything corrected. It is awesome and I very, very much like it. I have a removable rail for it with a RMR and a Red Dot that uses the Ruger Rings. But I do believe I like the V-Notch rear and the Brass Bead front sight the best.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
jstanfield 103,, you have a nice looking Ruger there! Enjoy!!!!!

I've said it often,, mass manufacturing to get high numbers of production, by assembly line workers is much different than a smaller company, with skilled builders who make sure they do it right. But to meet demands,, you either have a lot of complaints of a long wait time for the skilled people to build stuff,, or you go with mass manufacturing and accept a percentage of returns for repairs.

When Bill Ruger was alive,, we'd see them introduce a new gun or two and get us all excited. Yet,, it might take 1-3 years before production by his skilled builders to build enough to where we'd see those models in a gun shop. I recall how often people complained about wanting the newest offering,, yet not being able to get one. And if they did,, they'd pay a premium just to get it.
Now,, we have a larger company,, where they mass produce firearms,, and the general market can get them very quickly. But the workers are largely machine operators & parts assemblers. They do a specific job, check the specs, and if it gauges properly,, it gets passed to the next station. But if it's "close" on the gauges,, but can still barely pass,, it goes on. And if this happens at a few more stations of assy, then by the time the gun gets to the test firing, it may work a ok,, but not be quite right. It gets shipped, and once in the hands of the customer,, who discovers an issue,, customer service hears about it. No longer do they use seriously skilled gun types,, (can't afford them,) but instead just machine operators & parts assemblers.

But when you look at the sheer volume of production, and how many really GOOD guns are out there,, the return rate is actually very low. It's just that it's a different business model.

If you want perfect,, hand assembled & carefully checked guns,, pay the money & buy a Freedom Arms. (Oh, and they too get the occasional return for a problem.) A $3000.00+ gun and wait 2 or more years,, or buy a Ruger for $600.00-$1000.00 and get it immediately. If it has a few issues,, it's easily fixed, and most often, for free.

Sgt Duncan

Bearcat
In one of the posts above you said you replaced the front sight with a "fiber optic front sight" but later in the posted pictures is a "Brass Bead front sight".
I really like that brass bead front sight! Where did you get that sight?

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Contender,
Biggest mistake companies made to cut the work force is to do away with Quality Control People. They made it part of the assembly peoples job to control quality also. So if they see something wrong they are suppose to flag/tag it or fix it. But there comes the problem. Companies keep wanting to put more volume out and you barely have enough time to do your job let alone look for defects. Thanks to Wall Street.

Sgt. Duncan,
I bought mine off ebay. It is a GP100 front sight brass bead. I looked and right now they are none on ebay. I paid a little less than $25 for it. This next one I listed for you is a nicer sight and really well made, and I have bought one of these in the past on a revolver long gone but they are a little more money but like I said a nicer sight.

Sergeant, also many do not like the rear V-notch sight but with the brass bead it makes a really accurate and nice sight.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
Ruger used to offer a gold bead front sight, with a V-notch rear blade as a set for the Redhawk. I know,, I have a few.

Quality Control people. They have to be very knowledgeable and skilled to be able to do that job. And yes,, each assembler is supposed to know their job, remove any defective parts or guns that fail the gauges etc. But as noted,, production numbers often make an employee pass along a part that's just barely right, or maybe even not right but "close enough."

Latest posts