Ruger no.3 rebarrel as revolver companion options.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Beautiful rifles you folks have!

This is completely off topic, but years ago an friend let me shoot a single shot .22 he owned. I'm not sure what it was, but I seem to remember it being some sort of training rifle. I vaguely remember him mentioning BSA, but I'm not sure if that was a manufacturer, or reference to Boy Scout of America.

Anyway, ever since then, I've had a hankering for a single shot lever action in some pistol caliber. It would be a range toy, and the only requirements are that it be fun, and inexpensive to shoot. I love my 45/70s, but they just flat out hurt after a few shots.

I'm thinking something in .357 magnum would be a hoot, and shooting .38s or light loaded lead bullet .357s would be a fun afternoon.

Sorry to step on your thread, but it got me thinking! :)

N30N-junkyard

Bearcat
Sounds like a BSA single shot 22 target sporting rifle. I don't have any experience with BSA but it looks like they marketed for boys & maybe the Boy Scouts.
I think a 357/38 single shot would be fun for sure. There are some Ruger no.1 CHIP rifles in 357, H&R/NEF made some in 357, Henry makes makes them is brass or steel & or could go down a custom rifle road also.
Hope that helps.

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Well, I've got this stainless Blackhawk 327 FM Eight Shooter and a Buckeye Special 32 Combo that might get magnumized. Either way, I want specifically the 327 FM chambering to take the full range of straight side 32 pistol cases. I'm getting up in years now and this is likely to be my last major project, so I want it "just right" like Goldilocks would demand.
🐸

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
I would go with .460 S&W for the #1 along with a .45 Colt Blackhawk.
The #1 in .460 will take any .45 Colt load but, if a heavier load yet is desired, could handle .454 Casul as well as the .460.

N30N-junkyard

Bearcat
Well, I've got this stainless Blackhawk 327 FM Eight Shooter and a Buckeye Special 32 Combo that might get magnumized. Either way, I want specifically the 327 FM chambering to take the full range of straight side 32 pistol cases. I'm getting up in years now and this is likely to be my last major project, so I want it "just right" like Goldilocks would demand.
🐸
In my opinion the 327 Fed and family of 32's are very under-rated. I would love a H&R single shot break action rifle chambered in the 327 Fed along with a Ruger Bisley single seven 327 Fed. It would be a great small game woods gun set but yet in most circumstances I would not feel under gunned in the wood around me.
Good luck with your project or projects & I would like to hear how they turn out.

N30N-junkyard

Bearcat
I would go with .460 S&W for the #1 along with a .45 Colt Blackhawk.
The #1 in .460 will take any .45 Colt load but, if a heavier load yet is desired, could handle .454 Casul as well as the .460.
That would be a great setup. I was headed down the 45 Colt/454 Casull path but got side tracked. That said I'm happy with my setup but may not be getting the 475 Linebaugh/480 Ruger in a revolver form. A heavy 44mag or 45Colt +P is the last of my comfort zone with decent accuracy.