Ruger American pistols.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FergusonTO35 said:
Not all younger gun people are Call of Duty ninjas or amateur Special Forces. I'm 37 and I own five .38 Special revolvers, four of which are full size steel and wood. I have six blue steel and wood lever action rifles, only one wears a scope. I had my Howa 1500 rebarreled to .257 Roberts even though I could have bought a new magnum caliber rifle for less money. Even my inline muzzleloader wears sights and uses lead bullets that I cast. I'm currently saving up for an NIB Browning Hi-Power. And I load all my own ammo mostly with lead bullets that I cast.

Now, newfangled plastic has it's place in the world. My two main carry pistols area Glock 26 and 42, although an S&W 637 loaded with lead SWC's has joined the lineup. Don't worry, some of us younger guys have sense!

That's the continued irony. As much as I have disdain for plastic guns, I do own a few, and actually carry them when I don't want to have to worry about spoiling a more pleasing gun. :?

WAYNO.

I mostly like STEEL revolvers and STEEL semi-autos, primarily 1911's. Some may have an aluminum frame but metal nonetheless. All that being said, my primary everyday/all the time carry gun is an LCP or PM9 simply because of concealment and weight concerns. Dangest thing.....BUT don't own any other polymer hand guns.

For ALL other carry and shooting it is metal, only metal.

Dave

boaman81

Bearcat
Have to laugh at some of you. Glock? Design looks like a third grader did it. 4th generation and all they managed to do was change the molds for the plastic. Has a pitiful factory trigger, yet you bash others for their trigger. Comes with plastic factory sights but its the end all of quality. Excuse me if I find your opinions of little use. Love all the reviews from those who have yet to even be in the same room with the new pistol. There is a reason for all the after market parts for your Glocks . Same goes for the M & P. First thing everyone talks about is changing the factory trigger. Nice support for American gun manufacturers here.

revhigh

Hawkeye
boaman81 said:
Have to laugh at some of you. Glock? Design looks like a third grader did it. 4th generation and all they managed to do was change the molds for the plastic. Has a pitiful factory trigger, yet you bash others for their trigger. Comes with plastic factory sights but its the end all of quality. Excuse me if I find your opinions of little use. Love all the reviews from those who have yet to even be in the same room with the new pistol. There is a reason for all the after market parts for your Glocks . Same goes for the M & P. First thing everyone talks about is changing the factory trigger. Nice support for American gun manufacturers here.

The Glocks and M&P's are proven and accepted designs that work. Period.

It's why they vastly outsell the LC and SR Whatever's at considerably higher prices.

It's because they're better guns, worth more money, and aren't recalled, discontinued and/or superseded every few years. How is it that this 'new' pistol is so perfect ... And that must only mean that the old models we're really pitiful if they needed that much fixing and revamping.

We also heard initial claims of incredible out of the box accuracy for the SR1911 that proved unfounded in reality, so I take any accuracy claims with a grain of salt when it comes to gun writers BS.

We'll see how it holds up to public use and scrutiny.

REV

hittman

Staff member
For some folks guns are made to shoot and function well.
For others, the guns looks or "pleasing" design are important.

As Ruger has gone from the P-series to SR-guns and now to the "American's" ..... Glock is still churning out clunky looking square black pistols that are highly sought after by people who carry guns for their job and by "civilians" alike.

A used well-worn duty-carried G22 with a couple of mags will still command a price equal to that of most NEW SR9's or SR40's. All while the market is FLOODED with G22s.

Why? Because they work; always.

I hope Ruger finds a market, sparks some interest and sells a gazillion of these. I'm still a revolver guy though ..... except for my CZ75 and P220.

Boge

Single-Sixer
I wish Ruger the best in this endeavor as the market wants polymer striker fired guns. That's where the money is.

Instead of people complaining about bad triggers on polymer guns I suggest it's the Indian & not the arrow. A 'glass rod' 1911 trigger makes pansies out of many shooters. I once shot a 5.5" five shot group at 50 yds. (yes. fifty) with a Glock G17 OFFHAND with a stock OEM trigger & incredibly, Ameriglo night sights. These type triggers merely take more practice, just like in the old days when we shot revolvers DAO.

The poor magician blames the wand. :wink:

Al James

Hunter
revhigh said:

It's because they're better guns, worth more money, and aren't recalled, discontinued and/or superseded every few years. How is it that this 'new' pistol is so perfect ... And that must only mean that the old models we're really pitiful if they needed that much fixing and revamping.

REV

Gen 1, 2, 3, 4 doesn't count?

Glock doesn't perform recalls even when obvious defects are discovered. Silent recalls count too. :wink: The P series came out before striker guns were the rage. The SR series were built to be competition for the Glock pistol. The American pistol appears to have been designed to meet the standards of the XM17 modular pistol program. Rather than trying to revamp and redesign the SR series to meet the criteria they started with a clean slate. I do not think that it has anything to do with the P series or the SR series viability as defensive weapons. Or an admission of how crappy they were. Glocks do NOT currently meet the criteria. Not saying that makes them bad, we just have to keep in my "why" the RAP exists in the first place.

Rev I had hoped that you would receive this one a little better! Maybe if it proves to be excellent. What pistol would Ruger have to build to receive the vaunted Revhigh endorsement?

revhigh

Hawkeye
Al James said:
revhigh said:

REV

Gen 1, 2, 3, 4 doesn't count?

Glock doesn't perform recalls even when obvious defects are discovered. Silent recalls count too. :wink: The P series came out before striker guns were the rage. The SR series were built to be competition for the Glock pistol. The American pistol appears to have been designed to meet the standards of the XM17 modular pistol program. Rather than trying to revamp and redesign the SR series to meet the criteria they started with a clean slate. I do not think that it has anything to do with the P series or the SR series viability as defensive weapons. Or an admission of how crappy they were. Glocks do NOT currently meet the criteria. Not saying that makes them bad, we just have to keep in my "why" the RAP exists in the first place.

Rev I had hoped that you would receive this one a little better! Maybe if it proves to be excellent. What pistol would Ruger have to build to receive the vaunted Revhigh endorsement?

Here's the way I look at it Al.

Every one of Ruger's new models for the last 10 years or so has had either official recalls or serious issues.

Only a few Ruger SA's have had acceptable accuracy for me ... And that's all that counts for my gun buying. For me.

Ruger has NEVER made a pistol with anything but a horrible trigger.

Ruger seems to have a small cadre of gun reviewers who almost universally write glowing reviews that never seem to hold up in the real world. I remember the 1.5 inch at 25 yards accuracy claims/'guarantees' that Ruger themselves promoted, along with some other writers. It never happened. From my readings ... It's a 3-4 inch gun at 25 yards ... If the sights don't fall off.

Forgive me for being a pessimist ... But we've heard all this before ... From the disastrous click no bang of the 345's ... To the SR1911's that perform like any entry level 1911.

I see nothing innovative in this new offering whatsoever ... It looks like a copy of an M&P. It will be interesting to see if the SR's survive another year without being discontinued and blown out at CDNN for $249.

Great designs last ... MK's, SP's, GP's, SRH's, BH's, SBH's, etc.

Poor designs aren't timeless and are quickly relegated to obscurity. I know you love the P series guns, but there's really no market or demand for them from anybody except for a small collector niche, which is fine ... They're handsome and reliable guns .... and the P90 is one I wouldn't mind owning if I found one cheap. If I never do ... It won't bother me a bit, because I own 10+ 45ACP guns that are equally if not more accurate, and they ALL have infinitely better triggers, mainly because they're all 1911's ... :D

I'd LOVE this new gun to blow everything else on the market away, be adopted by the military and police, and be a monstrous success, but I can't help but consider Ruger's track record and therefore I'll wait. To be honest ... I haven't bought a gun in over 3 years .... Why ? .... Because I already own what I consider to be the best of the best offerings .... Sig P226, Sig P225, CZ75's, MK's, 2 GP's, SRH's in every caliber, 3 Pythons, 2 Gold Cups, multiple other 1911's, Colt AR's, Ruger Mini's, etc etc.

I really don't need a cheap feeling or mediocre ANYTHING, so my desires for the SR or LC lines are non existent ... The SR1911 is average entry level at best, with a multitude of cheap MIM parts, and this gun seems to be more of the same.

Show me a new Ruger that will honestly ... And I mean honestly ... compete with a P226, CZ75, Range Officer, Gold Cup, Glock 26 etc etc .... And I'll be all over it AND singing its praises. Unfortunately ... I've never seen that gun. I bought my P226 in LNIB condition for $399, the P225 for $249, and the CZ75's for $300 and $350, so I'm not paying any more for these outstanding weapons than the SR, LC, or P series guns cost, and there's no comparison.

I hope these new Americans live up to the hype .... But I've never seen that happen with a Ruger new SA release ... So only time will tell.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
WAYNO said:
FergusonTO35 said:
Not all younger gun people are Call of Duty ninjas or amateur Special Forces. I'm 37 and I own five .38 Special revolvers, four of which are full size steel and wood. I have six blue steel and wood lever action rifles, only one wears a scope. I had my Howa 1500 rebarreled to .257 Roberts even though I could have bought a new magnum caliber rifle for less money. Even my inline muzzleloader wears sights and uses lead bullets that I cast. I'm currently saving up for an NIB Browning Hi-Power. And I load all my own ammo mostly with lead bullets that I cast.

Now, newfangled plastic has it's place in the world. My two main carry pistols area Glock 26 and 42, although an S&W 637 loaded with lead SWC's has joined the lineup. Don't worry, some of us younger guys have sense!

That's the continued irony. As much as I have disdain for plastic guns, I do own a few, and actually carry them when I don't want to have to worry about spoiling a more pleasing gun. :?

WAYNO.

Me too ... I own 2 ... A G26 and a P3AT ... Both for carry .... The P3AT is junk just like the LCWhatevers, but it carries well and works, the Glock is bigger, bulkier, heavier, holds more ammo, and is infinitely higher quality compared to the KT.

Do I have a desire for any more plastic ? Nope.

REV

hittman

Staff member
revhigh said:
It will be interesting to see if the SR's survive another year without being discontinued and blown out at CDNN for $249.

I'll think about getting an SR9c if you're right about this. ^

BTW, I carry an LC9 'cause it's crazy reliable and I like the size and weight. It and the LCR that gets carried occasionally are the only plastic guns I have.

revhigh

Hawkeye
hittman said:
revhigh said:
It will be interesting to see if the SR's survive another year without being discontinued and blown out at CDNN for $249.

I'll think about getting an SR9c if you're right about this. ^

BTW, I carry an LC9 'cause it's crazy reliable and I like the size and weight. It and the LCR that gets carried occasionally are the only plastic guns I have.

It's why I carry the P3AT most of the time ..... I'd still pass on any SR or LC ... At ANY price.

Now ... The LCR ... Is a different story ... I like that gun a LOT.

REV

t-reg

Single-Sixer
20 years ago this would have been an exciting and marketable product for Ruger.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Exactly. I'd still be happy if it ended up being exceptional and made me want one. That's doubtful though because there's too many good similar guns on the market. It seems that Ruger is always 10 years late.

REV

The blowhards abound....without having the understanding of the marketplace, or ACTUALLY OWNING ANY OF THE GUNS THAT THEY DISAVOW. THEY ARE BLOWHARDS, your opinions mean zero to me, which is what any intelligent person will understand. In the last year or so, there has a been vast improvement in the ergonomics and trigger quality of the striker fired duty sized handgun. The H&K VP9 was a great improvement in both the quality and shootability of the type, then Walther issues their PPQ and we had ourselves another excellent entry in the marketplace. SIG realized the opportunity and issued their 320 modular, striker fired pistol series and upped the anti again. Ruger now has released, after over two years of work their entry into the newly improved striker fired pistol category. The potential is understood by Ruger's management and folks who care to understand for a chassis that can be swapped between frame sizes and with different barrel lengths to create 3-4 different pistol sizes, a real benefit to consumers...again, if you open your mind to the possibilities.

I picked up my RAP this morning in 9MM, my first impression is it feels good in the hand (better than the SR series), the trigger is good (IMHO no striker fired trigger can compare to a well done 1911 trigger) but the trigger is relatively crisp, short and will improve with use, just as the others have.

I own all of these pistols and shoot them regularly, along with my Glocks and 1911's...the VP9 forever changed my attitude about striker fired pistols even though I own, shoot and carry my Glock pistols regularly, the first of which I purchased in 1985.I have always been a fan of Glocks, but Jeff Cooper made me a competent 1911 aficionado and I remain that way, the 1911 makes me feel safe and confident...I will give the RAP A thorough workout soon enough. But I will not judge it until I have shot it...1000 rounds at least before I even consider rendering an opinion, one way or the other.

YMMV...

revhigh

Hawkeye
Hey Al

Regarding the XM17 project ... It seems the Ruger isn't even involved. Current top contenders are STI, Sig, and Beretta. Some also rans are Colt, the slightly modified M&P, and Glock.

Do you know if Ruger has even submitted an entry ?

REV

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Ruger has not been "invited to not participate" as they say (as at least one gun-maker has been) in the DoD world.
Rest assured Ruger (and its supply chain) are very aware of the program and potentials. It is not unusual to see defense procurement persons in and around the Prescott shop.
;)

Al James

Hunter
revhigh said:
Hey Al

Regarding the XM17 project ... It seems the Ruger isn't even involved. Current top contenders are STI, Sig, and Beretta. Some also rans are Colt, the slightly modified M&P, and Glock.

Do you know if Ruger has even submitted an entry ?

REV
Well they just released the Ruger American Pistol and the deadline for submission of a test package is Jan 28. Since the pistol was designed to meet all of the XM17 trials criteria.....I'm looking for a limb to climb out onto. :wink:

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Nh Rugerman said:
The potential is understood by Ruger's management and folks who care to understand for a chassis that can be swapped between frame sizes and with different barrel lengths to create 3-4 different pistol sizes, a real benefit to consumers...again, if you open your mind to the possibilities.
This appears to be of more interest in Europe or Asia than here. In many other countries it's very difficult to get approval to own even one pistol, never mind several, so having "one" pistol that can be converted into different configurations is a big selling point. Unfortunately, the conversion parts (slides, barrels, grips, etc.,etc.) are usually priced so high that buying another complete pistol is economically attractive if legal ownership issues aren't a consideration.