Ruger Warranty Issues

Help Support Ruger Forum:

les45

Bearcat
Anyone know the current turnaround times for warranty work on pistols at Prescott? Had to send my brand new ec9s back for FTF and mag release problems. This is my fifth brand new Ruger that has gone back to the factory almost on day one. Love my SS revolvers but nothing but problems with semi autos and LCR's.

les45

Bearcat
Well I can answer my own question. I returned the gun on May 8 and received it back from the factory today (May 20). However, my bad luck with Ruger pistols continues. Ruger fixed a mag release problem but the gun will still not eject when racking it manually. When I try to clear a round in the chamber, it gets stuck in the top of the chamber and I have to turn it upside down and shake it to get it out. It doesn't matter how hard I sling shot the slide, it simply will not eject. Also, the barrel looks like its been used and abused. There are scratches on the top of the bonnet and all around the bell end of the barrel. It looks like somebody worked on it with a metal tool. It does not look like normal wear from actual firing of the gun. Got a call in to Ruger now to send it back again.

hittman

Staff member
Well, as unpopular as this is gonna be, I'll jump in.
Why slingshot it?
Why the need to manually cycle a loaded firearm?
My experience with all things LC and EC has been horrible. I cured that by vowing to never again buy $300 guns and expect them to work like a Glock, CZ, Walther or Sig.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
... However, my bad luck with Ruger pistols continues. Ruger fixed a mag release problem but the gun will still not eject when racking it manually. When I try to clear a round in the chamber, it gets stuck in the top of the chamber and I have to turn it upside down and shake it to get it out. ...

This is really sad to hear. It worries me that apparently Ruger did not perform even a basic functional check of the firearm.

I wonder if they're having staffing issues and are unable to hire qualified people to check and work on their firearms.

I've been lucky with my newer Rugers: LCP, MK IV, and GP100. Years ago I did buy a new Stainless Bisley Blackhawk in .45 Colt that had scratches on the frame and a divot in the ejector shroud - it looked like the gun had been worked on by a rank amateur and had no quality control inspection. I replaced the shroud and the gun shoots fine, but that made me a bit wary of what comes out of their factory sometimes.

Write them a letter and describe your disappointing experiences. Five times is too much.

From what you describe, I'd say they owe you a new replacement firearm - one that's been tested!

les45

Bearcat
Why slingshot it?
My experience with all things LC and EC has been horrible. I cured that by vowing to never again buy $300 guns and expect them to work like a Glock, CZ, Walther or Sig.
I always manually eject a loaded round when I'm trying to clear the gun for cleaning or storage. On most guns, the round will eject but to different degrees. Some will shoot out a foot or more and some will just barely pop out. But they always eject. I've been shooting pistols of all kinds for fifty years and this is the first time I've had one just seize up inside the chamber. The round comes out of the barrel and then gets stuck before ejecting. Doesn't matter whether the mag is in or out and it doesn't matter how hard I rack it. I agree with your last statement. I will not be buying anymore $300 guns and especially Ruger pistols. This one gets sold as soon as it returns.

les45

Bearcat
This is really sad to hear. It worries me that apparently Ruger did not perform even a basic functional check of the firearm.

I wonder if they're having staffing issues and are unable to hire qualified people to check and work on their firearms.

I've been lucky with my newer Rugers: LCP, MK IV, and GP100. Years ago I did buy a new Stainless Bisley Blackhawk in .45 Colt that had scratches on the frame and a divot in the ejector shroud - it looked like the gun had been worked on by a rank amateur and had no quality control inspection.
They actually did a 15 rd functional check and declared the fun fixed. I guess they don't manually eject a round as part of their inspection routine. The barrel on this gun was marred on both ends with some kind of tool and I've had similar problems in the past with Ruger technicians damaging the bluing on warranty repairs requiring another round of shipping back.

Why slingshot it?
How else are you going to clear the chamber if you want to leave the gun unloaded? I guess just fire it until it is empty... where ever you are?
Long time ago my friends and I took a guy named Zukowskie rabbit hunting... we showed him how to load and shoot the shot gun we loaned him but not how to unload it.... guess how he unloaded it? Can't make this stuff up.

For me now I hold the pistol actually upside down and pointed down range and pull the slide back and let the round fall in my support hand. You tend to not lose the ejected round as often this way.
The real issue with what the OP is describing is if one needs to do a failure to fire function actually in a deadly force encounter..... one wants to be able to wrack, tap and return to the ready fast.

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
Yes, I fire it until it's empty. At the range or at the farm, that's how it's done. I'm not loading and unloading and tinkering in my living room.

les45

Bearcat
Yes it is! So does your gun have the slide with the problem "tab" shown in the video?
Did you forward the video to the Ruger rep to see the "tab" problem?
Not sure what the "tab" is that you are talking about. The guy didn't talk about a tab. I have noticed that my ejector is quite a bit shorter than the one on the LCP Max but they are both doing the same thing hanging up in the chamber.

It's the ejector... holds one side of the rim on the cartridge and the slide pulls it back then allows it to be flipped back and out.
From the way you wrote it, I presume the pistol ejects fine when you are firing it? You might try polishing the loading ramp and chamber.... Not being able to hand eject a round is unacceptable in my limited opinion. Like I said, what do you do when you have a failure to fire?

les45

Bearcat
It's the ejector... holds one side of the rim on the cartridge and the slide pulls it back then allows it to be flipped back and out.
From the way you wrote it, I presume the pistol ejects fine when you are firing it? You might try polishing the loading ramp and chamber.... Not being able to hand eject a round is unacceptable in my limited opinion. Like I said, what do you do when you have a failure to fire?
I've already sent it back to the factory for the second time. If it works when I get it back it will be traded or sold. I will not keep a gun that has had that many problems.

The problem I'd have with a gun like that is I could not sell or trade it with out disclosing the problems I've had with it. I've got several guns that I'm not comfortable with that I really don't know what to do with ... maybe one of those misnamed "gun buy backs" will come to town one day.

les45

Bearcat
The problem I'd have with a gun like that is I could not sell or trade it with out disclosing the problems I've had with it. I've got several guns that I'm not comfortable with that I really don't know what to do with ... maybe one of those misnamed "gun buy backs" will come to town one day.
I would never sell a gun that is broken without full disclosure. However, if it comes back from the factory fixed and it checks out good for me then I will sell it or trade it without any qualms. If the future buyer does have a problem later of the same or different nature, the warranty will still cover it. I've bought several used guns that I've returned for warranty work to both Ruger and Smith and Wesson. Most name brand manufacturers stand behind their warranties regardless of how many owners have had the gun.

Star43

Blackhawk
I hear what you say about how a company should stand behind their product. In my opinion, of course if I buy a new gun and it has a problem, that company should stand behind it and fix it. I agree 100% on that. But if a guy sells a gun to another guy and that guy decides to trade it to another guy....where does it end ? To me, that is how a company goes out of business....Me personally, if I buy a used Ruger, and it has a problem, I am going to take it to a gunsmith to look at it and try to fix it. Heck of it's an older gun, how do we even know if Ruger even has the parts. A warranty is a warranty, but there has to be a limit..... especially if any gun is abused. I am not talking about your situation at all. Not at all. I am just thinking about an and any manufacturer's obligation and where it ends. Now that is on older stuff. On a new gun, heck yeah, they should stand behind it and fix it for sure.

les45

Bearcat
I think the Smith and Wesson lifetime warranty is a classic example of how the system can work. I used to collect S&W revolvers and I bought quite a few of the LE trades which could be in any condition from like new to completely worn out. I sent more than one of those revolvers back to S&W under their lifetime warranty with no questions asked. That was several years ago and I'm not sure if they would do that today but S&W is still in business and apparently doing OK.