American 9mm

Help Support Ruger Forum:

larry8

Single-Sixer
Does anyone have an Ruger American in 9mm and what is good/bad about it? I haven't been able to find anything about it here in the forum and I am going to buy one as the prices are very good now.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I have one in 9mm and one in .45. They've both been flawless. Admittedly, they don't get shot a lot, but I really like the platform.

I think it's a good, solid, full-sized autoloading pistol. I got mine before they came out with the compact models, but I imagine they are just as solid.

I'd say that you won't go wrong in getting one.

Aqualung

I own a 9mm full size with a manual safety. Its a flawless good solid gun that sees range time.
The way I see it, Ruger just didn't seem to strike a chord with the masses concerning ergonomics and some with larger hands have complained the 'beaver tail' can cause some chaffing of right hand. I have smaller hands and never have had this issue. I would love to see them come out with an updated more ergonomic grip module that works with the same fcu, barrel, and slide but I don't think the model gets enough attention from Ruger due to its overall market reception. I'd expect they are working on a newer model along the way but right now the market seems about the smaller carry guns like MAX-9, LCP, etc.

Rix86

Bearcat
Got one for Xmas a few years ago. I can ring steel at 97 yards (silhouette target) and it's never malfunctioned on me (I had some ammo that sure did though) and it's my current daily carry.
The grip isn't my favorite, but it does work just fine.

It's my only 9mm, it shoots great, feels great, and looks great…the trigger is nice and the adjustable back strap is great for fitment. Mine is the competition model so it has a longer barrel and HiViz front sight.

IMG_2060.jpeg
IMG_2061.jpeg

Got one for Xmas a few years ago. I can ring steel at 97 yards (silhouette target) and it's never malfunctioned on me (I had some ammo that sure did though) and it's my current daily carry.
The grip isn't my favorite, but it does work just fine.
I'm using the medium backstrap and found a Pachmayr sleeve that fits well, makes it a different gun very fun to shoot.

RAP with Grip Sleeve.jpg

Feels pretty good. I have sleeves on most of my polymer stuff. Not hard to install at all, Hogue grips can sometimes be difficult but the Pachmayr ones are easier. I had to just find a Pachmayr model for a similar sized gun as they don't make one specifically for the American. I have the part number around here somewhere if anyone is interested.

t-reg

Single-Sixer

ScottG

Bearcat
The second 9 mm I got was a Security 9, still like it and it was my daily carry until I got my American Compact. Only been twice to the range since getting it and it is already taken over as my daily carry

Last edited:

Latest posts