review of primer seaters

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I started reloading rifle calibers, and bought a Forster Co-Ax primer seater. With rifles, it was ok at best. I could never get it to feed the primers very well. They were either sideways or fell out. The design is the empty brass is horizontal and primers are gravity fed. They would simply fall out the front opening between brass cartridges.

Fast forward to handgun calibers. I just spent more time searching for dropped primers than actually priming. It just simply would not work with small pistol primers. They were sideways, backwards or just tumbled out.

Fed up, I went to Cabelas this afternoon and forked over $57 for the RCBS hand primer tool. What a joy! Easy to set up, great design, and worked great. Probably paid too much at Cabelas today, but after a frustrating hour in the garage, worth the price.

I don't think I'll buy another product from Forster. I just saw they are $104 on the Forster web site. I don't think I paid that much, and not sure why I didn't go with the RCBS in the first place.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
I've been considering getting the RCBS hand primer to replace my near worn out Lee hand primer, or I could just buy 3 more Lee hand primers for the same money, and I already have the full set of Lee hand prime shell holders anyway. Is the RCBS considerably better? (that's an honest question)

Cholo

Staff member
I have both and I'd take the LEE anyday. Bought the RCBS Hand Priming Tool, as opposed to the Universal, and it's a Rube Goldberg contraption at best.

mattsbox99

Hunter
There are two RCBS hand primers, the standard one which I'm sure Kevin has, uses shellholders. Its a great hand primer and built to last a lifetime.

The other one uses the new universal shell holder. It works on all cases from .25 Auto to .45-70. It has a square tray to accommodate all types of primer packaging. The only thing to change out is the seating stem for large or small primers.

I have both and strongly prefer the universal one. I'm thinking about picking up another one and having one dedicated for small and one for large primers.

Nope, I've got the universal with the universal shell holder and square primer tray. I didn't see the LEE hand primer, so I don't have anything to compare it to other than the piece of junk Forster primer.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
I have both RCBS models. I find the Universal one has a tendency to let go of a 45 Colt case if the primer pocket is a little snug. I pretty much use the Standard one for rimmed cartridges and the Universal for rimless.

6gun

Hunter
Kevin said:
Nope, I've got the universal with the universal shell holder and square primer tray. I didn't see the LEE hand primer, so I don't have anything to compare it to other than the piece of junk Forster primer.

Good for you !! the RCBS universal is the best priming tool on the market I have two if them, one set up for large primers, the other for small so I don't have to change them over :D

Twoboxer

Single-Sixer
Stopped using the Hornady . . . great ergonomics, but small primers jam at the ram and often flip when you tilt the tray back to clear it. Doesn't matter whether you use Lee shell holders in the "Other" tray, or Hornady shell holders in the "Hornady" tray.

Now *very* happy using the RCBS Universal for 380, 9mm, 45 acp, 223, & 30-06. Universal jaws are surprisingly easy to use, and hold/center very well. No running upstairs to see where I left the 9mm shell holder this time :) No jams at the ram, probably because there's a small door that was designed to prevent a detonation from spreading through the tray.

Squeeze is fine; throw is a bit shorter than I'd like; primers are slower to flip in the tray than the Lee or Hornady, but those are all nits really. The tray cover has a center pin that was a bit rough, and snapping it into the lower tray caused the primers to jump in the air and land as they pleased. Use and a little sand paper fixed that.

Perfect hand primer would be the Hornady handle under the RCBS universal head and feed path attached to a Lee tray.

Why can't someone make that?

I've used LEE hand primers for years but switched to RCBS due to hand problems. I find it easier to use but still hard on my old hands.
I too, have had frustrations with the Forster but apparently less than described. My main complaint was the primer tubes integrity. The soft aluminum wears and/or deforms easily. Keep in mind, I was in the process of priming about 10K of 223 and 7-8K 9mm cases which accelerated the wear of the tubes.
If you want to offload either the Forster or the RCBS primer tools you don't like, PM me.

Rclark

Hunter
There are two RCBS hand primers, the standard one which I'm sure Kevin has, uses shellholders. Its a great hand primer and built to last a lifetime.
I have the standard one. Still going strong, easy to use, since the 1980s.... Works great, don't see it ever being replaced.

mikld

Blackhawk
Even thogh I used hand primers for years, I gave up on them (pretty much) a couple years ago. I still have a Hornady (with 2 trays and pins) and a Lee "Ergonomic", with a bunch of shell holders, but I much prefer to use a ram prime. I have a single stage press set up for the ram prime and all I have to do is change shell holders. Iget a better "feel" of the primers seating and no more finger/hand cramps...

6gun

Hunter
Rclark said:
I have the standard one. Still going strong, easy to use, since the 1980s.... Works great, don't see it ever being replaced.

I'm sure your Great Grand kids could still be using your standard RCBS primmer, but up grading to the newer Universel is worth it to not have to deal with shell holders any longer.

Oddbod

Bearcat
I have both the RCBS hand primers.

The one that takes shell holders is the one to go with if you're priming lots of cases using the same size primer & same shell holder.
The Universal primer is great if you load small runs that would require different shell holders.
BUT & a big BUT, you have to ensure the case is correctly held in the jaws of the Universal model or else you WILL have problems - it only takes a split second to ensure the case is seated & then things run smoothly.

Oddbod:
I know what you mean, the universal "shell holder" is spring loaded, and you can slide the case in too far so the primer cup isn't directly in line to receive the new primer.

Anyway, I used it last night and I do like it, however it is designed for right handed people. I'm left handed and while comfortable, it is more comfortable (but awkward) in my right hand. But, as I say, it works great.

Rclark

Hunter
it to not have to deal with shell holders any longer.
I don't mind. Takes only a few seconds to insert a shell holder. I only do one caliber per session anyway, so switching is never a 'pain' so to speak :) . I shouldn't say switching I guess as when I pull the seater out of the drawer for the primer step, I have to add the correct small/large insert with shell holder anyway. When session is done the reverse happens and shell holder goes back in the die set box (keep my shell holder(s) with the dies). No biggie. :)

mattsbox99

Hunter
Kevin said:

Not sure why I missed the price in your original post, I thought it said $37, which would be in line with the standard one, $57 is an average price for the new one. Regardless, they are both good and have their advantages.

A tip I have for those with the new one is to slide the case in, and then let it go, it'll snap to the correct position. I also took a small file and made an indentation on the spring posts so the spring has less tendency to pop off. It's not a big deal, but mine did pop off a couple times.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
The LEE unit works fine, but the pair I owned needed their proprietary shellholders. After I broke both during a marathon session I replaced them with the shellholder-model RCBS units, and still prefer those.

I have never seated a primer on my Co-Ax (or LEEs, or Lyman) press; I have seated a few ;-) on my XL650......

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I've used both...(Son #1 has the RCBS) and prefer the Lee Auto Prime...well designed, easy to use, quick and allows a good "feel" for the primer bottoming out. The bad part is that I've broken 5 of the pot metal squeeze handles over the years. Lee refuses to send me replacements without my shipping the broken one back. I like the tool's operation but they should have put a stronger handle on it...absolute BS in my opinion. Buy the RCBS and be happy. Rod

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I've been using the on press primer seating that is part of my classic turret press. I have used both the ram prime on a hand press, and a hand held seater. I like the feel of the on press seating. You do have to occasionally adjust the lever to keep it from catching on the shell holder. It is also a good idea to put a box, or lay out a blanket on the floor under the press to catch the occasional dropped primer. I like doing it on the press, as the turret allows me to do most operations without removing the case from the shellholder.

I was originally planning on buying the safety prime system for the turret, but somehow it looked rather awkward in use, so I have stayed with manually placing the primers in the cup. I turned a small saucer like wooden bowl with a thin lip that makes dumping a batch of primers easy, and I can very easily pick up a single primer to put in the cup. I will on rare occasion have a primer stick to my finger and then fall on the floor, hence the aforementioned box or blanket on the floor.