Just done 6 rounds of 30/30

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
6 for test and set the dies. I full length size cause I will never shoot enough to make a difference. Full length,, then primers,, then universal expander die ever so slightly,, then weighed my charges 20 gr imr4198,, then seated bullets,, then lee factory crimp. They look good. Bullets are siera 170 gr copper jacketed lead flat point.

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
That's very close to the load I've used in my .30-30 T/C Contender (10" barrel) for IHMSA Silhouette, but with 150gr. Mild and accurate.

I've always been surprised how well IMR4198 meters through my RCBS powder measure.

One thing I've noted when loading for platforms that have limited mechanical advantage during chambering: test fit after sizing and before doing any other operation to assure that the sized cases easily fit the chamber. Also, I think you'll find that full length resizing is recommended for lever actions(for the same reason).
Another item: I don't expand the neck any more than the minimum it takes to get the bullet started w/o snagging the case mouth. This is especially true with tube mag rifles.

Chief 101

Hunter
After 50+ years of 30-30 I have never expanded case necks in one, I don't have the expander to do so if I wanted to. As others stated 4198 is ideal for this...Mobuck is correct although I only test fit the cases I take with me for Deadbuck hunting...

crow#2

Single-Sixer
Only trouble I have is clambering in the 1873.
The brass hangs up. Got the factory crimp die but I think the roll crimp actually makes the cartridges slide right in the chamber. The lee factory crimp still let's the mouth of the case hit on the mouth of the chamber.

AZ10X

Bearcat
6 for test and set the dies. I full length size cause I will never shoot enough to make a difference. Full length,, then primers,, then universal expander die ever so slightly,, then weighed my charges 20 gr imr4198,, then seated bullets,, then lee factory crimp. They look good. Bullets are siera 170 gr copper jacketed lead flat point.
ThisThreadIsWorthlessWithoutPics.gif

Bruce51

Bearcat
I tried IMR 4198 with 170 hard cast but velocities were low and very inconsistent. OTOH 25 grains with a 170 JSP gave me 2000 fps a real sweet spot for this powder load combination.
Almost all IMR powders produce very low sd loads with 170 JSP. IMR 4895 and 3031 will give 2000 FPS in a 20"barrel as well as Winchester 748.
Most of my range loads now consist of 110 grain round nose .30 carbine bullets or 110 Speer HP.
Loaded with just 10 grains of Unique velocity is 1700 fps or 12 grains for 1900 fps. That is close to a .30 carbine load but very pleasant to shoot in a Marlin.
I never have had to use an expander die. Just a slight bevel inside the mouth and the bullet slides right into the case.
Bruce 51