Primer hole in brass

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I got my starling 45LC brass. I reloaded 30 years ago alot of different calibers. So thing that bugs me. The factory ammo has a much smaller primer pocket hole than the new brass.The starling brass has a hole twice the size of the factory brass I've been shooting. Is this a safety concern? Never saw the hole that the primer shoots fire through that big.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Nope not a concern. Ignore the differences. Starline is Super strong brass compared to some old brands with heavy cannelures etc. also.

Whoa! Just saw you bought Blank Brass! You really need tho slow down and be more careful!

Last edited:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
Thanks let me ask ,,on the head of the starling brass it is stamped 45LC blank. Is that ok or did I buy the wrong thing? I wouldn't think so. Here's a pic of the two diff brass side by side

Attachments

• IMG_20240117_211857.jpg
    IMG_20240117_211857.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 121

NikA

Buckeye
Are you 100% sure you didn't buy Starline 5-in-1 blank brass? That brass has a primer flash hole that is too large for safety in regular cartridge loadings. Everything else should be fine.

ETA: Just saw your reply on the headstamps. You bought blank brass, not brass for loading cartridges.

Blank brass has large flash holes so the primers don't back out with extremely light blank loads. They will eject primers with an actual bullet load and tie up the gun.

Cholo

Staff member
Starline has 45 Colt brass "backordered," which for them means "soon." Their prices include shipping and are usually very competitive with secondary sellers.
It also means no sales tax. The price on their website is what you actually pay to have it dropped at your front door.

John in WYO

Single-Sixer
I got my starling 45LC brass. I reloaded 30 years ago alot of different calibers. So thing that bugs me. The factory ammo has a much smaller primer pocket hole than the new brass.The starling brass has a hole twice the size of the factory brass I've been shooting. Is this a safety concern? Never saw the hole that the primer shoots fire through that big.
The proper terminology you need to use is flash hole , not primer pocket hole.
Just FYI.

Here is a factory loaded cartridge without one, or a primer seated in the primer pocket.
IMG_8715.jpeg

Last edited:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I thought about that but the package is open. And I loaded one. I've got it marked with black marker so I remember to cut it up.

Latest posts