Reloading question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I've reloaded in the past total of maybe 7 yrs. My accuracy was great.I sold my equipment and now would like to reload again. I used a rock choker,,nice press.
No more than I shoot now which is a very low #. I was thinking of the handheld press.100 to 200 rouds every couple months if I'm lucky. Wouldn't the handheld be fine.

Enigma

Hunter
As long as the handheld isn't a Lee Hand Press. They develop Z-E-R-O mechanical leverage, and using them is a real chore. If you even have a corner of a workbench that you can clamp one to, use a bench-mounted press! Even an inexpensive Lee bench-mounted press is orders of magnitude better than their hand press.

FWIW, I never had an issue using a Lee hand press for handgun cartridges, from 9mm through .45 Colt. Of course I was younger then, and I'm not sure I would recommend one if you're full-length sizing .378 Weatherby brass, but YMMV. I still use mine for seating plain base gas checks, and other various duties.

As always IMHO, FWIW, etc., etc.
:)

Last edited:

NikA

Buckeye
Lee Hand Press is fine for pistol brass of a bit of a workout for larger, longer cartridges like .44M and .45LC. A table-mounted press, even a clamped one, will make a world of difference in terms of productivity.

Buchanan Precision make a very capable hand press if price is no object. Inexpensive Lee and Lyman options for a basic table mounted press are where I would start if I were going that route.

edm1

Single-Sixer
I like my Lee press. I take it with me and load on weeknights after work in hotel rooms. Relaxing for me. I can knock out a box of 44 or 357 in an hour. Obviously I can do that much faster at home on the Dillon, but it's not a big deal. I also use it to load subs for my 300 BO. That's no problem either.
71936745849__49AD2535-90CE-430B-BE58-40DAA6287F85.jpeg

Bullthrower338

Single-Sixer
IMG_6060.png

Not going to McDonalds and a couple 12 packs and you could order this, a decent little set up for a 100 bucks! Not much more for a Lee classic press kit. Figure what you pay for a couple boxes of ammo now and it is a no brainer! I'd give up a lot of unnecessary things before I gave up serviceable reloading equipment. I've got a little hand press in case I have to hit the ditch and I'm sure it would work but wouldn't be my choice.

My Lee hand press has probably done a few thousand rounds over the years. I could size and deprime at my desk waiting for phone calls or seat and crimp at the range while working up loads. I do have other options but it's always handy to have.

Attachments

• IMG_20230806_183130694.jpg
    IMG_20230806_183130694.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG0475.jpg
    IMAG0475.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 25

s4s4u

Hunter
The whack-a-mole? Have you ever used one? I would just get a Lee press kit. Not much more money, but a lot faster and easier.

My Father started reloading ~1965 with Lyman "C" press. We darn near wore it out. I got a used Rock Chucker in 1980. Used but you couldn't tell.

I would get another Rock Chucker. You won't ever wear it out and from there you have few limitations. In my opinion spending money to fulfill your minimum requirements is poor economics because if your ceiling is the bottom you can't expand without incurring costs, and if the press is your limiting factor, well, back to a piece of equipment that you'll never wear out but has gone up in price.

Back in '80 I paid $100 for the then 'basic RCBS package' which looks like ~$400 today, so that's good. A friend that haunts garage sales paid $15 for a Rock Chucker press a couple of years ago so that's even way better.

Of course, there are many other presses, RCBS is just the most popular.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I just ordered a O press Challenger I believe from Lee for $49 It will do all I need. I don't mind one process then move on to the next.Now I gotta come up with cash for tumbler and dies and all the other stuff. I've got a scale.
Nice. One of my presses is an old model Challenger I updated with the new design arm linkage. It's a great old single stage and they can be found CHEAP used.
May want to look into wet tumbling. 10$ of stainless pins, a wide mouth gallon jug, and dish soap will get your brass plenty clean.
Leave out the pins and it's cheaper and easier. I use boiling water, a drop of Dawn, and a few grains of citric acid (Lemi-Shine). No pins.

The Frankford Arsenal tumbler is obnoxiously LOUD. I have both Dillon and Lyman tumblers that are much quieter and work better--well worth the extra expense.
I second the price point LEE Challenger O press. They last a long time especially doing handgun loading. I keep 3 of them on my bench as my primary loading presses.