Problem with 30/30 die

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I have a scraping feeling and sound when full length sizing my 30 /30 brass. Also feels like it requires to much force on the handke of press.LeeDies....I tried polishing the inside of the die and the shaft with the depriner pin. Im sure my polish was to smooth or high of grit. The polish is a pink really smooth stuff basically for jewelry. I probably need more abrasive of a compound. What do you reccomend? Could the chamber of my rifle be slightly oversized? Dont really think thats the case but thought i would throw it out there. Im thinking maybe using JB bore paste on a cotto bore mop in a cordless drill,,med speed,, then clean the die out the do the same thing with this jewelry type polish.

Last edited:

Pál_K

Single-Sixer
You could measure the diameter of a fired case at several points and compare that to those same points on an unfired case. Unlikely you've got an oversize chamber, though.

I've never had to clean or polish the inside of my .30-30 dies; I use just a very light coating of RCBS case lube on the brass and that's sufficient: no scraping or other sounds.

NikA

Buckeye
Case lubed? Any galling/marring near the case mouth?

Might want to try outside chamfering the case mouths a bit before you alter the die.

If you do need to alter, I've had good luck with Clover valve lapping compound for steel dies and diamond paste for carbide. Clover compound comes in a bunch of different grades, I typically use 400 grit for this type of work.

Some 30/30 chambers tend to be a bit over sized. Cases that aren't clean and lubed properly are going to produce the feeling/sound you describe. A bit of dry lube(graphite) on the inside of the case mouth will lessen this if the neck is deformed.
As mentioned: are there scars or scrapes on the sized cases? This might indicate embedded grit inside the die.

Chief 101

Hunter
If you are not scoring the brass(which I had that issue once) than you are not using proper lube technique, you are not using enough lube, you are not using clean brass, you have an improperly made die...figure it out.

Enigma

Hunter
On all new rifle die sets, I remove the decapping spindle on the FL sizing die, and chuck it up in my drill. Then I polish the expander plug with progressively finer grits of sandpaper. Polish being the key word. Don't reduce the diameter. Then clean it off and reassemble.

crow#2

Single-Sixer
Would this be a good thing to get. I dont shoot much and dont want to go through a lot of trouble.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240222_105355_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240222_105355_Chrome.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20240222_105339_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240222_105339_Chrome.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 22
Cleaning dies once and awhile is ok. I would do after a simple cleaning of die. Make sure enough lube is on case and or try another brand of lube. If its marking the case, that's a problem if not try more lube. Last thing I would do is run compounds inside the die. I would be contacting Lee 1st before using any compounds in the die and or buy another set even a different brand and see if that's still a problem. If still a problem then have rifle chamber spec'ed.

crow#2

Single-Sixer
Ok guys im not a machine tool or gun guru. Heres the best measurements i could get. The new brass measured in 5 places.hope this pic is ok. Maybe these measuements will help in determining over sized bore or not.Shouldnt a fired case be slightly bigger diameter than a new brass

Attachments

• IMG_20240222_121123.jpg
    IMG_20240222_121123.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Paul B

Hunter
I might just neck size until i need to full length. Which im not sure how to tell.
When the loaded round becomes stiff or difficult to chamber yhen you need to do a full lengt resize.

Second, I agree with the use of the Imperial sizing die wax. You use very little and apply with your fingers. Just barely dab your fingers in the stuff and lightly cover the case with lube. It only takes a very thin coating. That stuff is very slick and now is the only thing I will use when resizing brass.
Paul B.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
If you do not have one, get a case neck lubricator. It uses a brush and "Motor Mica" to clean and lube the neck. Also Imperial sizing die wax is the best on the market.

Attachments

• case_neck_lubricators.jpg
    case_neck_lubricators.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 20

Papalote

Single-Sixer
If you said the cases had marks on them. A gall mark or something. I missed that post. Been using imperial sizing wax for over 25 years and all brands of dies and never had to polish any of them. Too much polish might do more harm than good.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
Crow, the carbide dies are generally for straight walled pistol cases, NOT bottle neck rifle cases. You have not mentioned what type of lube you were using, if any.
I also didn't notice anybody asking, so I will. Were the cases lubed when you experienced this sensation?
Did you see any scrapes or scratches on your brass AFTER you sized them?

Latest posts