New die doesn’t give enough shoulder bump

Help Support Ruger Forum:

You can click the mail button at the top and send message to me. I tried to send to you, but it didn't allow it. (Configuration setting?)

As an update, I just ordered the Redding competition shell holder set. This should fix the problem and make bumps a lot easier now. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Saltcreek

Bearcat
Get a Redding Competition Shellholder Set from Midway for your caliber. They are a set of 5 shellholders of different heights for exactly your problem. If your caliber isn't listed, get one that uses the same base size as yours.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I was working up a .222 Rem load for my dad and the ancient Pacific dies I had would not move the shoulder. Needed it moved due to headspace issues that shelved the rifle. Brass came from another gun. Bought a new set of deluxe Lee dies and the problem was gone. The old die was bottomed out.

You might try swapping shell holders first.

I'd like to give a shout out to WV338 for the competition shell holders. I managed to get a 0.0025" shoulder bump. Surprisingly, this was the most I could get with this die maxed out on the shell holder and over-camming the ram. I think I'm all set. Thanks for all the comments. I think this thread might be helpful for the next guy.

… and shame on Redding for creating a die that requires someone to acquire additional shell holders when the basic one should suffice.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
I bought a new set of Redding dies for my Ruger 280AI. After making measurements from a couple spent cases from my chamber, I had a good idea of how to dial in my FL due to give me the right amount of shoulder bump. I've got just one problem, though… my die isn't giving me enough bump! I have it screwed all the way down to kiss the shell holder, but still not enough. So I tried calling Redding today, but as of Friday, they're closed for two weeks. So have any of you folks heard about this before? I know the 280AI was a wildcat for years, but I would think after it became an official SAAMI cartridge, Redding would have built their FL die to spec. On the other hand, do you think my chamber is too small? Any advice is appreciated. I must be overlooking something.
I am late to the party. Sorry. No one has suggested taking a chamber cast?

AZ10X

Bearcat
You were probably sent a die based on a reamer other than what was used to chamber your rifle. I had problems with Redding in the past concerning an Ackley Improved caliber. It turned out they sent me a die based on Clymer reamer specs and my chamber was reamed with a JGS. Almost no one uses Clymer reamers because they have bastard dimensions so I have no idea what Redding was thinking. They exchanged the die and all was good.

Redding told me the standard shell holder was the 0.00" so I went back to it and adjusted the press to overcam more I'm right at the correct bump, but barely, like by only within 0.001". If I wanted to bump it more, say an extra 0.005" then I'd be in trouble.

That was a great suggestion. I can't do it properly since I don't have the right tools, and finding anyone that does have them that's willing to do it properly is hard. Local businesses here won't disrupt service on their machines to do a job like this, and if they did, they'd want hundreds of dollars for their time and for interrupting their money-making machines.

I suppose I could just rub the shell holder on a piece of sandpaper. I don't guess it would need to be flat, would it?

That was a great suggestion. I can't do it properly since I don't have the right tools, and finding anyone that does have them that's willing to do it properly is hard. Local businesses here won't disrupt service on their machines to do a job like this, and if they did, they'd want hundreds of dollars for their time and for interrupting their money-making machines.

I suppose I could just rub the shell holder on a piece of sandpaper. I don't guess it would need to be flat, would it?
That could work as well. Get a multi sided Diamond hone and work, check, work, check till it's right.

oldcrab

Bearcat
I wouldn't recommend grinding dies and shell holders "down" to fix your problem, until you make sure your headspace in your rifle is within Saami specs, AND the die and shell holder you are using are also within-specs....
If rifle chamber, shell holder and die are all within spec, it will probably be your press setup is just leading you to believe you have a problem.

The worst case would be your rifle chamber being out of spec on the short-side, and if so, you need to get that changed, as you would not be able to load purchased (within spec) bottle nose cases into your rifle.

I'm betting the die or shell holder are off-spec.

I think it's always better to identify the exact problem before implementing a solution.

oldcrab

Bearcat
ps: your post says you bought a "new" set of dies from redding.... was the old set of dies and/or old shell holder giving you no problems on case size?

oldcrab

Bearcat
One last thing I forgot..... don't buy a set of the Redding competition shell holders.... they are from .002 to .010 thicker than a normal shell holder, meaning they allow you to bump less-than , not bump more-than a normal shell holder. This would just make your perceived problem worse, not better, as you are trying to get more bump, not less bump.

Thanks, Oldcrab, for the comments. You're correct that the competition she'll holders did not help because they went the wrong way. I did not have any old dies to begin with. I have the standard Redding shell holder, plus one from another manufacturer, and they're both the same in the effect they have. The rifle is the Ruger Hawkeye African 280AI. If I overcam the T7 press with the standard shell holder, I barely get a bump of 0.002" - 0.003" in order to load the cases. Do you suggest I send the rifle to Ruger to enlarge the chamber?

woodperson

Single-Sixer
If it loads and shoots factory ammo just fine? My first inclination would be to wait and contact Redding and see what they have to say and if they offer a suggestion or correction. If the die is for the wrong version of the cartridge that could be a problem. Are there other brands available for this cartridge? I do not know. My .280 is not "improved". If it chambers factory ammo fine and it is the right die I would be inclined to get the die ground if I needed a little more sizing, My full length resizing die adjustment has always involved going the other direction to get a little less sizing.

Latest posts