I just bought a Ruger Mark II target

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
I was once told by a wise man who knows more about shooting handguns than any ten people I know , that I will never shoot my MK II Gov target as well as it is capable of, after 10K+ rounds of various .22 down the barrel, I do believe he was correct Last year after the postal league finished and before I had it cleaned. We put it in a Ransom rest and after one magazine, a dime covered the hole in the paper. Mine is pure stock other than grips and a red dot.

jules

Single-Sixer
Love the MKIIs. Still looking for a Great Eight.

KIMG2042.jpg

black1970

Blackhawk
Here are 2 you don't see every day. KMK4BL which is Lipsey's and an AMT with the 10 inch standard weight barrel. Most were heavy barrels. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• F09224E6-4D59-46AA-976D-95D4A2264B32.jpeg
    F09224E6-4D59-46AA-976D-95D4A2264B32.jpeg
    443.9 KB · Views: 57

wproct

Single-Sixer
wproct,, the barrel length wasn't mentioned because many of us actually know the MKII Target is usually a 6-7/8" barrel. Yes,, there are a few other target guns,, but in general,, the barrel length is considered to be 6-7/8".
I actually take issue with that assumption. I have owned Ruger semi-auto's since 1965. My first Target model was indeed a tapered barrel 6 7/8 inch model but what I really wanted was a 5.5 inch heavy barrel. I have since owned 10, 5.5, and 6 7/8 inch heavy bbl models, and the 5.5 heavy bbl is my favorite of all.

Rimfire Sports

Bearcat
I've never been a big fan of the Ruger semi auto pistols. I still bought one the other day.new with docs but no box(no mag either). Not a big deal on the mags as I got a bunch of magazines at a yard sale for 20 bucks that had 4mags for the Mark II...and 2 for my S&W 41. Even had 2Colt and one Browning 22mags. The gun is new with thumbrest checkered grips. Just wondering when these Rugers got so expensive? Don't think I got hurt as I got the gun and a brick of Aguila 22LRs and a box of a hundred Winchester too. Paid almost 500 bucks for the thing. She also has a Blackhawk 41 mag I'm considering buying. My favorite bbL length on it 4 5/8. Was 500 A reasonable price on a Mark II?
New with no box or magazine?

Ruger 22 pistol accuracy is amazing. When I received my current 4" 22/45 MK3, I was quite disappointed in it's accuracy. After much fussing and fuming, (and a VQ lower kit) things began to turn around.
After maybe 200 rounds, accuracy improved until it was shooting better than I could hold. Adding a muzzle extender to allow better bag support and a 3x optic, the 4" pistol was giving 3MOA @ 100 yards if the shooter could hold it well.
I let a friend shoot this pistol a few times and he immediately tried to buy it. I told him that one wasn't for sale but I'd help him set up one like it. :) I didn't tell him this was normal for the Rugers.

I shot the 4" 22/45 yesterday after taking it along on a lumber foraging trip(grubbing through an old barn). Walking back to the house, I thought "might as well empty the magazine and reload with fresh ammo". 100 yards using a glove laid over a 4x4 fence brace which is a long way from a sandbag rest BTW. It took 3 shots to get the correct elevation (been a while since I shot this pistol). After getting the right elevation, 3 of the remaining 6 shots hit the 8" diameter steel plate. This is using a 2MOA dot optic on a rusty target that doesn't have much contrast to the background leading to some aiming error. ;)

IMHO, it'll take a lot of looking to find a run of the mill 22 pistol that's better than that.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention no ear pro required cause it goes PHHHT PHHHT with the Aguila sub-sonics. :LOL:

Last edited:

wproct

Single-Sixer
You know, I have owned many Ruger semi-autos in my lifetime but have never owned a 22/45, and I really don't know why. I love the 1911 pistol and it only makes sense that I would like the 22/45. Uh-oh, I think I am talking myself into something!o_O

mirglip

Single-Sixer
I've had 5 Mark II's over the years, I love them. Like just about everyone here, I prefer the II. None of mine were finicky about ammo so long as it wasn't subsonic. All were very accurate and all had target sights. I put Volquartsen sears in all of mine, which usually but not always improves the trigger significantly. Installing the sear involves deploying my entire repertoire of four letter words. Taking them down that far is a pain, but not necessary for routine cleaning. I have a Browning Buckmark, too. I bought it because it was better suited for mounting a red dot sight, but I still prefer the Ruger Mark II's, They are very good guns and you won't wear one out.

Blivit

Bearcat
View attachment 35768
2 are Lipsey's MK4BL models and the other is a regular Ruger MK4B. The elusive KMK4BL is the one that I don't have.
Wowzers! Beautiful pistols, watertender. My model is the Ruger Mark II (KMK6) stainless, tapered 6" barrel, fixed sightsI Bought mine new & never had a bit of trouble with it until I got a couple jams earlier this year out of the two original magazines. I replaced the springs & at the same time installed Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor & Ruger Mark II Extractor Spring and no more problems. Early on I put installed a Hogue Ruger MK II with Finger Grooves RH Thumb rest Grip.
I've never been a big fan of the Ruger semi auto pistols. I still bought one the other day.new with docs but no box(no mag either). Not a big deal on the mags as I got a bunch of magazines at a yard sale for 20 bucks that had 4mags for the Mark II...and 2 for my S&W 41. Even had 2Colt and one Browning 22mags. The gun is new with thumbrest checkered grips. Just wondering when these Rugers got so expensive? Don't think I got hurt as I got the gun and a brick of Aguila 22LRs and a box of a hundred Winchester too. Paid almost 500 bucks for the thing. She also has a Blackhawk 41 mag I'm considering buying. My favorite bbL length on it 4 5/8. Was 500 A reasonable price on a Mark II?
Nice catch, esp. for new. I've seen them selling for $600+ without the pretty grips.

"that I will never shoot my MK II Gov target as well as it is capable of,"
Nor will the majority of other shooters reach the capability of their Ruger 22 pistols. I have approached the mechanical accuracy limits but only by using higher powered optics than most would consider suitable for a 22 handgun and even then, the limiting factor could have been ammo. :unsure:

Latest posts