OM Blackhawk brassie .41 Mag went for $2500 in MN

Help Support Ruger Forum:

An OM Blackhawk w/brass grip frame in .41 Magnum just went for $2500 at auction in MN. It was a police auction gun... I don't know how the gun happened to end up "in custody."

https://www.do-bid.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?dobid3/6/showall

I'm typically a NM "accumulator," vs. an OM "collector." I did a (very) little research on this gun, looks like there is a good chance it was a factory brass grip frame.

I was watching the auction, hoping to score a deal. Obviously there were a couple of bidders who thought it was something special... :mrgreen:

I'd love to hear what some "collectors" might have to say about this gun and the price it went for.

Thanks, -Howie

street

Hunter
RENE list the 4 5/8 in Brass Grip Frame at $4425.00. The 6 1/2 in. Brass Grip Frame at $3075.00. Only about 50 of the 4 5/8 in guns were made and only about 160 of the 6 1/2 in bl. guns made.

If that gun was a factory shipped Brass Frame and it was in 98% then someone got an excellent buy, especially if it was the 4 5/8 in. gun.

SORRY, neglected to post a link! Edited original post to include auction link...

I have never had any confidence in my ability to determine condition "percentages." This one certaily had some blemishes on the front sight and ERH, though.

Most of my interest lies in NM stainless rimfire "shooters." Much easier to evaluate...
:p

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
No expert here, but isn't the squared off trigger guard indicative of a Super Blackhawk, AKA a .44 Mag? Or did they put them on .41 Mags too?

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
BPGuy said:
No expert here, but isn't the squared off trigger guard indicative of a Super Blackhawk, AKA a .44 Mag? Or did they put them on .41 Mags too?

I have seen one .45 Colt with factory square backed trigger guard brass grip frame. Whether shipped from the factory or afterwards, I don't know. I do know Ruger did advertise the .45 could be had with brass.

Bob Wright

street

Hunter
All Ruger Factory Brass Grip Frames has the square back trigger guard like the Old Model Super Blackhawk Steel frames did.

DGW1949

Hunter
Did the factory "Brassies" come with a narrow BH trigger, or the wide SBH trigger?

DGW

street

Hunter
I just checked the serial number of the 4 5/8 in Brass Grip Frame .41 Mag in question and it is the third lowest serial numbered gun for that caliber and barrel length, shipped from the factory with a Brass Grip Frame. Looking at the pictures that gun looks like it is in collector shape. It's well worth the price.

A little bit of history:

The Brass Grip Frame was first offered as an accessory to the Super Blackhawk sometime in 1964 or 1965. You had to order it from Ruger and install it on your gun. Ruger did ship a few guns with the Brass Grip Frame, but they were few and far between. In 1972 when Ruger was starting to develop it's new model guns the had a supply of these brass frames in stock. As they would not work with the New Models Ruger, they then started putting them on their Super Blackhawk and all of the Blackhawks except the 30 Cal. Any Factory Shipped Brass Grip Frame gun is rare, and in the case of the 4 5/8 in. .41 Mag. it is VERY VERY RARE.

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
street said:
All Ruger Factory Brass Grip Frames has the square back trigger guard like the Old Model Super Blackhawk Steel frames did.

10-4, I was unaware of that. Thank you for the info!

DGW1949

Hunter
street said:
DGW1949 said:
Did the factory "Brassies" come with a narrow BH trigger, or the wide SBH trigger?

DGW
Wide Super Blackhawk Trigger

Thanks.
The reason I asked was because the gun in question seems to have the narrow trigger. Myself, I would be hesitant to pay more than the "sum of the parts" for such a gun without a factory letter...but that's just me.

DGW

street

Hunter
DGW1949 said:
street said:
DGW1949 said:

DGW
Wide Super Blackhawk Trigger

Thanks.
The reason I asked was because the gun in question seems to have the narrow trigger. Myself, I would be hesitant to pay more than the "sum of the parts" for such a gun without a factory letter...but that's just me.

DGW
That gun is listed in Dougans book as a Factory Shipped Brass Grip Frame. Although it is hard to tell by the picture what trigger it is, but it looks as if the trigger fills up the slot in the grip frame and as that grip frame is for a wide trigger. So then it looks right.

nrobe50

Buckeye
it went for 2550 plus 10 percent auction fee. I bid 2500 and got sidetracked. anyone out there know who was the lucky bidder