Non ruger question...S&W 632 carry comp pro

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MYBABYISA44MAG

Single-Sixer
I love my lil black gun....its everything I wanted and I'm happy...but...I've tried the S&W forum...hahahaha what a joke....why is my lil gun stamped 662 on the frame and not 632?

My 632 Pro Series is not black. Mine is a Stainless .327 w/2.125" fluted barrel. Is yours the 3" w/factory comp?

Funny thing, Smith web site doesn't list a 662 and none show up on Gunbroker. Can you post a pic or e-mail it.(only thing I dislike about this site is not being able to upload pics from my computer)

C.S.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
MYBABYISA44MAG said:
I love my lil black gun....its everything I wanted and I'm happy...but...I've tried the S&W forum...hahahaha what a joke....why is my lil gun stamped 662 on the frame and not 632?

I'll try to help you out.

S&W model #s are tricky because the numbering system logic has changed and both systems are still in use. Also, the same model number could be different configurations depending on the vintage.
Your gun could be a Main Production, a Pro Series or a Performance Center Model.

Currently, 632 means it's a .327 Mag caliber Pro Series of stainless construction, in black 3" w/hammer or silver 2" Centennial/internal hammer DA only configuration.

From '91 to '92 a 632 was a silver airweight, stainless and alloy in 32 H&R mag.

Why do you think it should be a 632, is the box labeled 632? If it is, your gun could be a mis-stamp. It can also be a special, non-cataloged configuration. It could be Stainless and Scandium or Stainless and Titanium in silver or black.
What material and configuration is yours? Which caliber?

MYBABYISA44MAG

Single-Sixer
Black stainless in 327 fed magnum....I ordered it in 2010 from Bud's...took about 6 months to get it tho...was in backorder forever....3" barrell....the 662 stamp is on the hinge next to the cylinder...box is clearly marked 632...

Hondo44

Hawkeye
In my opinion, it's clearly a mis-stamp. I have one also in another model. It's not common but it does happen and I know of several different models that have been posted on the S&W Forum. Some collectors say it's a little extra collectible because of it.

You could get a factory authenticity letter for $50 fom the factory historian, Roy Jinks, to verify it and I would here:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757825_-1_757814_757812_image

peyton

Single-Sixer
It must of been Monday morning and the S&W fella was suffering from a hangover and mis stamped it! Now tell us, how does it shoot?

MYBABYISA44MAG

Single-Sixer
Its a sweetie.....trigger pull is smoooooth.....and surprisingly light...and its LOUD!! the port really causes some noise.....shoots a lot better than I do for sure lol.

ThundarStick

Bearcat
I have one in bright stainless. I opened the cyclinder throats some, so a .311 jacketed would fall through and a .314 cast lead would just stick, to shoot cast lead thruough it. The throats where so tight that a jacketed bullet would stick and I knew that cast lead would be a night mare. I will say that it is a fine little gun, lighter than the SP101, it is a real joy to cary. The port does seem to make it loud and it also seems to spit a little and none of the other 4 327s I have do that. It is also noticably quicker to get on target for a follow up shot than the others. I love it, but do tend to cary my GP100 327 more.

One of the ONLY things I like about Smiths are how easy it is to find aftermarket grips for them! I am running an Eagle Secret Service grip on the GP and it takes it from a bulky nearly impossible to conceal sidearm, to one that just blends in with my buldges and curves.

ThundarStick said:
One of the ONLY things I like about Smiths are how easy it is to find aftermarket grips for them! I am running an Eagle Secret Service grip on the GP and it takes it from a bulky nearly impossible to conceal sidearm, to one that just blends in with my buldges and curves.

I just ordered a set of those for my GP!! I'm thinking about carrying it if it hides as good as I'm hoping it will. I don't think it weighs anymore than the RIA Tactical Compact 1911 that I usually carry and my job is a rather dusty at times so I think the wheelgun would be more reliable.

C.S.

dougader

Hunter
My 632 is also a bright stainless 3" with Carry comp. Mine spit way too much and the cylinder gap was excessive, with the timing just a touch off. I sent it to S&W on their call tag through FedEx, and they fixed it and shipped it back but I have yet to get back out to shoot it again. The cylinder gap is down around .004" now and it feels like they slicked up the double action trigger pull. The single action pull was light as it came from the factory.

My 632 is more accurate than the SP101 I had.

dougader

Hunter
Carolina Sorillo said:
My 632 Pro Series is not black. Mine is a Stainless .327 w/2.125" fluted barrel. Is yours the 3" w/factory comp?

Funny thing, Smith web site doesn't list a 662 and none show up on Gunbroker. Can you post a pic or e-mail it.(only thing I dislike about this site is not being able to upload pics from my computer)

C.S.

I've never seen a S&W in 327 Federal like the one you describe. Are you able to post a picture of it?

dougader

Hunter
I meant the 2.125" model with a fluted barrel that Carolina Sorillo mentioned above.

I have seen the 3 inch models with the comp at the end of the barrel, both black stainless and the bright stainless that I have. I just havent seen the one that CS mentioned.

MYBABYISA44MAG

Single-Sixer
I received an email from them yesterday confirming mfg date, ship etc.....and that it was indeed mis-stamped....would repair if I wanted etc....think I'll keep it like it is...

Yep, that's mine. 2 1/8" fluted barrel and night sights.

The only thing I dislike about this site is not being able to upload pics straight from my confuser.

C.S.

mag318

Bearcat
I have the 3" stainless 632 and it has become my favorite J frame revolver. I'm amazed this calibre hasn't caught on big time as it's so versatile.

dougader

Hunter
Me, too, mag 318. I think the 32 caliber is best suited to the smaller j frame guns. I like my 38's and 357's in K and L frame sizes. The old model 357 mag Blackhawk is perfect, in my mind. But the 32/327 mags I prefer in Single Six, SP101, and j frame sizes.

gak

Buckeye
dougader said:
Me, too, mag 318. I think the 32 caliber is best suited to the smaller j frame guns. I like my 38's and 357's in K and L frame sizes. The old model 357 mag Blackhawk is perfect, in my mind. But the 32/327 mags I prefer in Single Six, SP101, and j frame sizes.

+1 My little 432PD (.32 H&R snubbie) is a little gem, as are my trio of Single Six .32 Vaqueritos. Both platforms seem to be "made" for this cartridge/caliber.