Nickel Plated 357 Blackhawk Flat-Top Information- PICS ADDED

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys, for all of the positive comments. It's been a really excitting week for me learning about this heirloom!

I've certainly learned more about Ruger's in this last week than I have in the past 5 years!

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
Would an offer of $50,000 interest you?

Not that I could ever pay that much..... just curious! :D

Dang, that is one awesome treasure you have from your Dad!!

radicalrod

Hunter
Oldiron, I was trying to make a point.....speculation about a guns worth is easy.....getting COLD HARD CASH is tough......pretty easy to put LARGE NUMBERS on something when you are just talking.... NOT buying....just putting a little "REALISM" to the equation......I own a few one or two of a kind guns so I do know they can be expensive......but the buyers market shrinks incredibly quick once one passes most peoples comfort zone......this is an incredible gun you have and it certainly is a very good start to an excellent RUGER COLLECTION........I would just keep it and enjoy it......JMO...YMMV....RR.

PS if you do ever decide to sell it....put it in a penny action on GB and be sure to let the RF members know....you won't lose I am sure.....

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
Thanks Radicalrod,

I agree with all of the points you made.

I've always liked the phrase "Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it". I've found this to be true in all of my hobbies as in "theory" something rare is worth big, big bucks, but generally then the buying audiance is much more limited.

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
The letter from Ruger arrived in today's mail !!

Below is what it said:

"Thank you for your recent telephone call inquiring about your Ruger Blackhawk revolver, serial number 26001.

Our records show that this revolver was shipped May of 1966, as a model BKH-34, with decorative chrome.

Enclosed please find a Parts List and Instruction Manual for your Ruger Blackhawk revolver.

Thank you for giving us this opportunity to be of service.

Sincerely,

K.M. Pritula

Custodian of Records"

I'm really excitted that it has "officially" checked out. I also must say that I am also really impressed with Ruger's customer service! I'm reasearching one of my Dad's old Colt revolvers as well. I found that Colt has a similar "letter service", however they charge $100 for the letter that they say they'll send within 4 MONTHS, but for ANOTHER $100, they'll expidite it. I have called their archieve dept. twice now and still haven't recieved a call back.

Ruger answered the phone the first time I called and sent the leter within a week...for free! Now that's customer/collector service in my opinion.

flatgate

Hawkeye
What an awesome Blackhawk! I'm sure glad to see it all "checked out" as that scenario was furthest from my mind! Who would'a thunk it?

"The Good Ones are still out there!"

:D

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
flatgate said:
"The Good Ones are still out there!"
flatgate

No doubt about it! No other firearms company as far as I know has so many huge rarities ripe for the picking out there! Just think of it....as an example, of the ten chrome and nickle plated single action Rugers (not including the 8 chrome Single-Sixes in the "wheel") that were on Ruger's trade show displays from 1960 to 1963, only 20% of those are known today!
Ruger collecting is always a super exciting Treasure Hunt where it can happen to anybody!!! Can't say the same of Colt or Winchester as most of the people who own an example of those, rare or not, already think they have a gold mine.
Chet15

without a doubt, the "best" and specially when one can actually 'document ' it...we've been sitting on an early flatgate that also was chromed, , the "original" box had a sticker on it, stating, that BUT ....the box got "tossed" ( yes, $##*t happens...) and the factory has NO idea, clue whatever as to the finish it was shipped as "records,lost,destroyed...." oh well, it is what it is........
and as they noted and we had said when we saw your pictures, the gun you have is also "chromed"......yep, they did it BOTH ways...interesting..........
as the "story" ( lore) ?? goes, they were trying to do anything to put a finish on some of their guns,that were turning colors (plum) aside from the ones they did for the "wheels" (displays) for the NRA convention, way back when........
that gun may not be the "start" of ANY collection, it is an "entire collection" all on its own....and yes, a "true" family heirloom.............

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
I think it is great that such a treasure is owned by someone who cherishes it more for its priceless sentimental value. I am sure your father would appreciate that. I imagine some of the experts have already given you some guidance on how to best care for it for future generations to enjoy. Congratulations.

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
BlackEagle said:
I think it is great that such a treasure is owned by someone who cherishes it more for its priceless sentimental value. I am sure your father would appreciate that. I imagine some of the experts have already given you some guidance on how to best care for it for future generations to enjoy. Congratulations.

Thank you very much, BlackEagle.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
oldiron1, One day, you may have a "need" to part with that revolver. When you do, contact Sotheby's or some other well known "auction" house. That gun is "now" in the "BIG LEAGUES"!................Dick :wink:

taylorthom

Bearcat
Just found this thread on oldiron1's chrome blackhawk. I just picked up the same gun #357XX with Sambar Stag grips. Everything that was said was true, this Blackhawk is beautiful !! The aluminum grip frame is darker with a few spots shining from wear. For a 53 year old handgun it looks awesome ! I know this is a special Ruger but it has been fired and I don't own an unfired gun. Will get pictures up soon.

Thom

contender

Ruger Guru
I would consider getting a letter from Ruger to see if it was chromed by the factory or not. You will have to wait until March sometime to try & get a letter though. They have suspended the letter program temporarily.

taylorthom

Bearcat
Thanks Contender, I wasn't aware of their schedule but I will check with Ruger ! I believe it was a real find. I paid $475 total, made me a happy shooter .

Thom

contender

Ruger Guru
No problem.
I will say that the odds are not in your favor of it being a factory job. Many Rugers have been plated after they left the factory. But, I wish you luck!

SPBhawk

Single-Sixer
Tucsonite said:
Congrats on a great gun. there was a day I would have died to own that one :D :D :D It is definately chrome.

Dan
The Sultan of Shine

Tulsa1018.jpg

I love it !

Latest posts