Custom nickel silver revolver box question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FLgun

Single-Sixer
Having a custom presentation bix made for a family member nickel silver colt Python. What would be the best style or color material for it to sit on and make the shiny nickel pop. Red ? Is any felt the best material for safe finish protection?

FLgun

Single-Sixer
This kinda blue you had in mind? Or more lighter? I know personal preference, just figured you'd have more experience seeing presentation boxes with them in

Attachments

• 4C96F5E2-834A-46C0-892C-B9E84703E304.jpeg
    4C96F5E2-834A-46C0-892C-B9E84703E304.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 38
Personally I like dark or navy blue for the stainless or polished guns and the darker reds for blued guns.
Have seen dark green and even brown used. Maybe take into consideration what the grips are and also
the exterior stain color assuming it's wood. Then you get to pick...felt, wool, velour, satin.....
None will be "wrong" just different "tastes".
Maybe make some space for speedloaders or ammo also.

Last edited:

FLgun

Single-Sixer
That is 100% accurate. The cases are for presentation only, not for long term storage!
Is there a material one could have the area the gun lays on that could be safe for long term storage? Also does the type of wood the box is made with make a difference as far as long term moisture absorption affecting the gun inside?

FLgun

Single-Sixer
Personally I like dark or navy blue for the stainless or polished guns and the darker reds for blued guns.
Have seen dark green and even brown used. Maybe take into consideration what the grips are and also
the exterior stain color assuming it's wood. Then you get to pick...felt, wool, velour, satin.....
None will be "wrong" just different "tastes".
Maybe make some space for speedloaders or ammo also.
Here is the gun that will be in the custom presentation case, I plan to get either 6 cartridge cutouts or 2 speed loader cutouts in the box, still debating which would work and look better

Attachments

• 34203C52-FFAD-4560-876D-A88561CD4189.jpeg
    34203C52-FFAD-4560-876D-A88561CD4189.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 32

woodsy

Blackhawk
I have a Mark 1, from 1972. Wasn't SS, but blued. Made a walnut box, with real red felt liner. Both box and gun are pristine now, and the Ruger spends its whole non-shooting storage life in that box. That's 52 years and 50,000 rounds. Just use stuff that's real, not some fake bargain stuff.

eveled

Hawkeye
Is there a material one could have the area the gun lays on that could be safe for long term storage? Also does the type of wood the box is made with make a difference as far as long term moisture absorption affecting the gun inside?
Maybe a silicone gun cloth?

moparclan

Single-Sixer
This Colt stays in the box and has since 1964, The Smith stays in this box for the last 10 years with no problems with either. Arizona in a climate controlled basement. The nickel Smith was in a leather holster for at least 20+ years in Washington state till I rescued it from my uncle and traded a Glock 17 for it. All polished with Renaissance wax.
c51rac.jpg

629 Smith.jpg

629-29 Smith.jpg

Latest posts