Nickel Plated 357 Blackhawk Flat-Top Information- PICS ADDED

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chet15

Hawkeye
This is a beautiful example!!! Looking at the front of the cylinder it doesn't look like its ever been shot. And sure looks like chrome to me. Nickel plating often looks a lot thicker. Your gun looks like the plating from a truck bumper...nice and bright but also thin looking.

DSC00224.jpg

DSC00226.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

DSC00230.jpg

DSC00229.jpg

DSC00228.jpg

DSC00232.jpg

Again....an absolutely beautiful gun!!! What a great piece of history!!
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
one other question for you oldiron1....does this gun have an "S" stamped on the bottom of the cylinder frame in front of the trigger guard?
Oh yes...and you probably already know this, but be careful not to use anything too abrasive when wiping this one down. Those fine little lines that you would likely get from polishing too much will really stick into that finish.
Chet15

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
I just looked Chet,

There is no marking of any sort stamped into the frame itself, however there is a small "S" stamped into the front of the cylinder itself.

What does this mean?

w5lx

Single-Sixer
The plating does appear to have the yellowish tinge that older nickel plated guns often exhibit although it's hard to tell from the photographs. The color balance of the camera could change the way it looks in person.

In any case, a very unusual and nice piece!

chet15

Hawkeye
Thanks for the note on the "S" marking. Being located on the front of the cylinder, that is Ruger's proof stamp, put on once the gun had six proof loads through the cylinder.
Would be fun to stare at your gun and the known factory nickel flattop side by side so see if there are any differences in plating. The nickel gun resides about two hous away from me.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
SAJohn said:
Here is mine in .44 mag:
44FlattopNi1.jpg

One of these days I will chemically strip that finish and reblue it. On a sunny day it is nearly impossible to sight these things.

SAJohn:
Not sure I've ever seen a pic of your gun before or if it has if I ever inquired as to what the serial number on that one was. But I do know the factory chome plated 6-1/2" flattop did reside for a time in Oregon...and in the hands of a very well known collector who has been known to peruse this site!! I guarantee it that if he knew it was factory it would be in one of the bigger collections today.
Send me a PM if you are skittish about letting me know your sn.
Chet15

Nice gun, and great one to have...yes, it look s like 'chrome' to us, as the 'yellow' tint seems to be only reflections, out on the barrel and the curved of the recoil sheild..........awesome

flatgate

Hawkeye
A few observations. The Micro sight is blue on the sides but "silver" on the upper surface. The grip frame exhibits a "brushed" type of finish, and isn't polished.

Nonetheless, a most interesting example.

flatgate

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
flatgate said:
A few observations. The Micro sight is blue on the sides but "silver" on the upper surface. The grip frame exhibits a "brushed" type of finish, and isn't polished.

Nonetheless, a most interesting example.

flatgate

The photos appear a bit odd, mostly due to lighting I believe. The Micro Sight is actually blue (side and top).

I'm really anxious now to learn more about this gun and can't wait to call Ruger first thing Monday morning!

maxpress

Buckeye
Wow, I saw this post right after you put it up and have been whatching it since.
Thanks for the pics.
Do you always make such a grand entrance.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing that.
Again wow.

contender

Ruger Guru
When I first read the posting,, my thoughts were like most folks,, an aftermarket plating.
Then,, Chad posted,, and it jogged my memory. I'm glad I was sitting down.
Definately one of the rarest Rugers to add to a collection outside of factory examples. All I can say is; WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DGW1949

Hunter
rugerguy said:
Nice gun, and great one to have...yes, it look s like 'chrome' to us, as the 'yellow' tint seems to be only reflections, out on the barrel and the curved of the recoil sheild..........awesome

I'm no expert but do have examples of both finishes in my meger accumilation. And yeah, just from the photos, it looks like chrome to me too.

DGW

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
JEEZ!!! Even the screws don't look like they have ever been molested by a screwdriver. :shock:

EarlFH

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
Thanks again everyone! This has been an awesome discovory and surprise. I just wish I would have thought to research this gun when my dad was around as he would have enjoyed learning about it as much as I am right now!

I'm really looking forward to calling Ruger on Monday, and will report my findings.

Thanks again, Rob

Mandan

Bearcat
oldiron1;
I think I just fell in lust!! What an absolutely beautiful Blackhawk.
Sorry I do not have one like that.
Dan

Latest posts