Nickel Plated 357 Blackhawk Flat-Top Information- PICS ADDED

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tucsonite

Single-Sixer
Congrats on a great gun. there was a day I would have died to own that one :D :D :D It is definately chrome.

Dan
The Sultan of Shine

Tulsa1018.jpg

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
I just got off the phone with a lady at Ruger who asked for the model and serial number of my Blackhawk and put me on hold which seemed like 3 hours.

When she came back, she said that it is a "Factory Chrome Plated BKH-34 "Display" gun that was shipped to a Ruger distributer in May of 1966".

I asked her what the gun was used for and who it was shipped to, but she seemed very short with me saying she couldn't tell me more than that. The above is all her records tell her. However she did confirm that she would send me a letter stating what she told me.

I guess it was a good phone call. I just wish I could learn more about the gun's history!

chet15

Hawkeye
oldiron1 said:
I just got off the phone with a lady at Ruger who asked for the model and serial number of my Blackhawk and put me on hold which seemed like 3 hours.

When she came back, she said that it is a "Factory Chrome Plated BKH-34 "Display" gun that was shipped to a Ruger distributer in May of 1966".

I asked her what the gun was used for and who it was shipped to, but she seemed very short with me saying she couldn't tell me more than that. The above is all her records tell her. However she did confirm that she would send me a letter stating what she told me.

I guess it was a good phone call. I just wish I could learn more about the gun's history!

Yes, if only that gun could talk!! All the big boys of the industry probably handled that at one time or another while it was displayed by Ruger from '59 to '63. Once you get a copy of JD's book, I believe most of the employee letter is published there where it talks about the display used during those years, the models that were on the display, and specifically about the 6-1/2" nickel plated example that has been known for some time. When I come across it, I'll also send you a copy of that original letter.
Chet15

And don't feel too bad about getting only minimal information from the lady at Ruger. All we usually get is ship date (month,year) and "shipped configuration". The info you got is more than most of us get.

Congratulations again on a marvelous score.

:)

yessir, you got about the MOST information that they are 'allowed" to let out, as said above, the past documentation tells the rest of the story, but even then, ONLY to a point, as said above ,"if only it could talk....." or even if dad was alive to tell all a bit more.....yep, it is entirely in the 'realm' of Ruger lore now........
Congradulations to say the least........."jackpot partner..." (anon) :wink:

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
chet15 said:
oldiron1 said:

Yes, if only that gun could talk!! All the big boys of the industry probably handled that at one time or another while it was displayed by Ruger from '59 to '63. Once you get a copy of JD's book, I believe most of the employee letter is published there where it talks about the display used during those years, the models that were on the display, and specifically about the 6-1/2" nickel plated example that has been known for some time. When I come across it, I'll also send you a copy of that original letter.
Chet15

Chad,
Can you hazard a guestimate on what it's worth, or is this a "what ever someone will pay for it" situation?

EarlFH

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
[/quote]

Chad,
Can you hazard a guestimate on what it's worth, or is this a "what ever someone will pay for it" situation?

EarlFH[/quote]

I can say that it's worth more to me than anybody else being that it was my dad's, therefor will not be for sale.

street

Hunter

Chad,

EarlFH[/quote]

I can say that it's worth more to me than anybody else being that it was my dad's, therefor will not be for sale.[/quote]

Thousands of dollars!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I would think that the pucker factor would come into play on this jewel. Most of the time something like this would be kept at the factory, and no collector would have a chance to own it. You are very lucky to have this gun. Just my thought but it should be worth more then a Spanish Engraved Single-Six!!

ltapd204

Single-Sixer
oldiron1 said:
I can say that it's worth more to me than anybody else being that it was my dad's, therefor will not be for sale.

I have been watching this thread since your original post as have many forum members as indicated by the number of views on this thread.

I too am interested in a value. For no other reason but to know what something like this is worth.

If it were my dads it would not be for sale either. I have some valuable firearms, coins and jewelry that have been passed down and none of them are or sale. JMHO.

AKGrouch

Bearcat
Holy! Moley! That is stupendous. Just goes to show that all the good stuff isn't gone. Just about the time you think it is, something like this pops up. I agree about not selling it. I have my father's guns and my grandfather's guns. They aren't anything real expensive like this one, but I guarantee there isn't anyone on this forum with enough money to buy them. They will be handed down (probably to my daughter) when I go.

oldiron1

Single-Sixer
rugerguy said:
yessir, you got about the MOST information that they are 'allowed" to let out, as said above, the past documentation tells the rest of the story, but even then, ONLY to a point, as said above ,"if only it could talk....." or even if dad was alive to tell all a bit more.....yep, it is entirely in the 'realm' of Ruger lore now........
Congradulations to say the least........."jackpot partner..." (anon) :wink:

I guess I'm glad to hear that in a way as I thought I caught the Ruger lady on a bad day this morning.

chet15

Hawkeye
A price? In cases like this, I tell those fortunate individuals "Whatever the Market will Bare"!
One of the former owners of the only 15" .44 flattop in existence asked me once why I never had that gun listed in my annual price guide. I said there isn't any way that anybody can put a price on something like that because it doesn't matter how it averages out, you (the owner) aren't going to be happy with the results...and in fact at the time, such a result would have probably been lower than what he'd paid for it.
Yes....PUCKER FACTOR probably says it all in this case.
But...there are probably two more out there that would probably bring a little more than oldiron1's new found treasure (not to diminish the excitement of the factory plated BKH-34 by any means!!!). I speak of the factory chrome plated BKH30 and BKH40 that were also on Ruger's chrome displays! You guys just need to go out there and find them!

Unless I find them first, of course!!!! :D
Chet15

SATCOM

Blackhawk
Wonderfull find! Congradulations. :D

RF members commenting; is not a value for insurance needed? Not going to insure against theft, flood, or fire? Lock in safe? Put in safety deposit box? Antique road show when evaluating items that are family heirlooms, gives a "for insurance value".

Can it be compared to other highly valued Rugers? More than the plated single sixes of the era? More than a single digit Hawkeye? More than a spanish engraved Single Six? More than the 15" .44 Flattop? More than the CCH Blackhawk? If you could answer yes/no to these and other questions would not a $ value begin to form?

Just asking.

Man, this is such great find.

Possible Elmer Keith handeled this gun? Did he like/dislike plated revolvers? Have any? or could he have said "Hell Bill, how am I going to get camp meat with this thing speading sunshine over half of Montana?".

street

Hunter
SATCOM said:
Wonderfull find! Congradulations. :D

RF members commenting; is not a value for insurance needed? Not going to insure against theft, flood, or fire? Lock in safe? Put in safety deposit box? Antique road show when evaluating items that are family heirlooms, gives a "for insurance value".

Can it be compared to other highly valued Rugers? More than the plated single sixes of the era? More than a single digit Hawkeye? More than a spanish engraved Single Six? More than the 15" .44 Flattop? More than the CCH Blackhawk? If you could answer yes/no to these and other questions would not a $ value begin to form?

Just asking.

Man, this is such great find.

Possible Elmer Keith handeled this gun? Did he like/dislike plated revolvers? Have any? or could he have said "Hell Bill, how am I going to get camp meat with this thing speading sunshine over half of Montana?".

Just my opinion, but here goes:
Yes........ to plated Single-Six.
Yes........ to Spanish Engraved Single-Six.
No......... to 15 in. .44 Flattop
Maybe, Maybe not........to CCH Blackhawk.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

radicalrod

Hunter
Well the only way to place a value on it is to sell it.....only worth what someone will pay.....and it isn't for sale so why speculate......but if we are bidding I will start at $4500 :lol: :lol: :lol: RR.

EarlFH

Single-Sixer
radicalrod said:
Well the only way to place a value on it is to sell it.....only worth what someone will pay.....and it isn't for sale so why speculate......but if we are bidding I will start at $4500 :lol: :lol: :lol: RR.

WOW! You start off with a bang. If that's the first bid, I'll bet it will go up fast. Too rich for me!!!

EarlFH

street

Hunter
EarlFH said:
radicalrod said:

WOW! You start off with a bang. If that's the first bid, I'll bet it will go up fast. Too rich for me!!!

EarlFH

That's not a bang, that's a "dud". RENE list the Spanish Engraved Single-six at $11900.00. That would be a good starting place. Everyone needs to understand this is the only 4 5/8 in. flattop that was used in the factory display that was sold. "A ONE OF A KIND FACTORY PLATED DISPLAY GUN".

If you noticed, RR added 3 smiley faces after his $4500 bid. He knew that that was very low. I'm sure that if this gun was for sale for $4500, Mrs. RR would be sewing his back pocket on after he ripped it off trying to get his wallet out before someone beats him to the draw!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts