New from Ruger: LC Carbine chambered in .45 ACP.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger may not "do 40 S&W" at the moment but they have in the past. I have two of the recent PC carbines - one in 9mm and one in .40 S&W. Currently only the 9mm is listed on their website but my guess is the .40 S&W was discontinued due to not enough sales volume to justify continuing production. It is a sweet carbine and I have no issues with it

I own/have owned several Ruger firearms chambered for "40 Auto". I was planning to purchase one of their takedown carbines in that caliber, but when they discontinued chambering .40 S&W across their entire product line, I bought a 40 caliber carbine from a different manufacturer.
:)

Last edited:

9x19

Hunter
I like my LC Carbines, and have grown really fond of the 5.7x28 as a carbine round.

I got out of .45 a couple of years ago and have no desire to go back, but it's good to see another carbine in that chambering, for those who are still invested in it.

If they offered it in 9mm, I'd probably buy one or two, but they'd be competing with their PC Carbine, so not likely to happen soon. I much prefer the overall length on the LC Carbine.

I think I'm among many who thought that, if Ruger made a .45 ACP carbine, it would be based on the PC9 design. I wonder why they didn't???

I honestly never paid any attention to the LC carbine in 5.7x28 because I have no interest in the caliber so don't know anything about the action. If I did, maybe the answer would be obvious. Is it blowback or does it have a mechanical locking system?

If nothing else, the PC is a couple hundred dollars less than the LC.
Because the PC9 is so 40 years ago.

Rat76

Single-Sixer
Because the PC9 is so 40 years ago.
They actually made a prototype based on the PC9/4. Management said no.

To quote COFFEE POT in a conversation 4-22-2008 when I was praising him on the design of the PCs & told him that a friend had just shot both of mine & said "I need one of these in 45";

"Thanks for the kudos. I'm quite proud of that puppy myself. Tell your friend that he has no idea of the efforts I made to bring a PC45 to fruition. I had one prototype made that was so sweet you would have given up both sex and beer to have one but could never sell it to management."

They actually made a prototype based on the PC9/4. Management said no.

To quote COFFEE POT in a conversation 4-22-2008 when I was praising him on the design of the PCs & told him that a friend had just shot both of mine & said "I need one of these in 45";

"Thanks for the kudos. I'm quite proud of that puppy myself. Tell your friend that he has no idea of the efforts I made to bring a PC45 to fruition. I had one prototype made that was so sweet you would have given up both sex and beer to have one but could never sell it to management."
Hi Point already has that Covered. Honestly I don't see it as competitive whatsoever. If they made it takedown it could probably be competitive in the modern PCC market. What would be awesome would be a multi caliber takedown where you only swap the front section.

Hi Point already has that Covered. Honestly I don't see it as competitive whatsoever. If they made it takedown it could probably be competitive in the modern PCC market. What would be awesome would be a multi caliber takedown where you only swap the front section.
The folks that own Hi-Points seem to like them, but they strike me as kind of a disposable tool, because a lot of parts (including bolts IIRC) are made out of zinc alloy. A Ruger PC .45 would have been attractive to folks wanting a firearm that would last a good long time.

I know you've seen the Aero survival rifles - they seem to be one of the better current options for a multi-caliber PCC:

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMNV, etc.
:)

An Interrupted Thread takedown version could pack down to Sub 2000 size. Since 10mm, 40,S&W, 357sig and 9mm use the same shell holder on my loading press a Bolt that works for them all should be easy. A swap barrel multi caliber takedown carbine would be worthy of attention in today's market.

s4s4u

Hunter
Hi Point is single stack, tho. That, and the appearance of them, has kept me from owning one. If I hadn't already been in the process of assembling an AR in 45 ACP I would be in line for this. Still might ;-)

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Brownells is listing the new 45 LC at $776.99, but out of stock.