New 327 Magnum.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

foytfoyt

Bearcat
Logically, there is nothing wrong with 32 H&R.

It's just that the wide acceptance of new caliber has little to do with logic, as there are many great calibers already widely available, and reasonably priced. There has to be a big "wow" factor to get attention in the crowd.

For 327, it's that it greatly outperforms 38, but gives another shot.

32magfan

Blackhawk
Highstandardguy,

IMO, nothing was wrong with the 32 H&R... except it was not what it coulda / shoulda been as to velocity / pressure. It is in the low 20,000 (21,000 C.U.P I think, maybe 23,000 - doesn't matter). It was kept to this "moderate pressure" due to the modest strength of the smaller frame H&R revolvers it was chambered in. The Ruger, Dan Wesson and Smith & Wesson revolvers so chambered could have taken a hotter round than was produced. This is why so many folks with Ruger revolvers began handloading for it. :wink:

In other words, it left a little meat on the bone. At mid 30,000 psi range for pressure (psi vs. cup not direct correlation, by the way), the 327 is HOT, HOT, HOT compared to the 32 H&R. Stand next to someone on the range shooting one and you will understand the difference. :shock:

Sorry I can't remember the exact details on pressure for the two rounds but I hope you get the gist.

Hope this explanation helps,

32Magfan

Thanks for the explanations. I guess there's always something better just around the corner. We shooters are a fickle lot aren't we? :lol:

I bought a .22 mag rifle right after the .17s came out. I had been wanting one and a LGS had several they couldn't move because everyone wanted a 17. I picked up a nice rifle at a really good discount. $$$$ saved.

Been thinking about a 32. Maybe .32 H&Rs will be going at bargain basement prices soon. :shock:

Hunter6657

Single-Sixer
Not to mention you can shoot 32 S&W Short and Long, 32 Magnum, and even 32 ACP with it's small rim in it. Factory 32 Magnum loads are anemic at 1100fps or less but are great small game/trail rounds. The 327 is the modern day more powerful 32-20 and duplicates 30 Carbine power in a pistol with more readily expandable bullets and easier to reload straight wall cases.