New 327 Magnum.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

frankenfab

Single-Sixer
It says DAO in the description? Surely that is a mistake.

https://www.lipseys.com/itemfinder.aspx?mfg=Ruger&type=Revolver&caliber=327+Federal+Magnum

32shooter

Blackhawk
LSCG said:
32shooter said:
This is not good. I just picked up a Bisley .32 last week and the Single Seven several months ago and now they come out with another .32. My wife is not gonna like this!!

just don't tell Her!! :mrgreen:

I never thought of that. :wink: :wink: She does like to shoot the 32's. I currently do not own any DA Rugers but that might change.

32magfan

Blackhawk
I will have to have one asap. I have all the Rugers in 327, would hate to break that streak. :mrgreen:

I would try an LCR if they made one in 327. I have 5 of the SP101's and not one is a 38 or a 357. 2 are older .22's, one each in 9mm, 32 H&R and 327 Fed.

I guess I just like having some of the oddball stuff. :roll:

Thanks,

32Magfan

OldePhart

Blackhawk
32magfan said:
I have 5 of the SP101's and not one is a 38 or a 357. 2 are older .22's, one each in 9mm, 32 H&R and 327 Fed.
FMI - does anybody know approximately how many of the SP101's were chambered in 9mm? Do they show up very often for sale? Were they reasonably accurate? I would really rather have had an SP101 3" in 9mm but had to settle for .357 as it was coming from the factory and they aren't currently chambering them in 9mm. Given that from a 3" barrel 9mm +P muzzle energy is right there neck and neck with .357 I'd much rather have the 9mm with less flash and wide defensive ammo availability (not to mention that I've got tons of brass for 9mm and almost none for .357 because I gave away most of my .357 stuff many years ago when I started shooting .40 almost exclusively).

John

foytfoyt

Bearcat
48flyer said:
http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5773.html

Thanks! Nice. I hope the "CA Approved - No" changes...

"Ruger Introduces SP101 in .327 Federal Magnum
March 30, 2015
Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) is pleased to introduce the SP101® in .327 Federal Magnum. The Ruger® SP101 in .327 Federal Magnum is a six-round, small frame, double-action revolver with a 4.2 inch barrel and adjustable sights. Built from stainless steel, this new model features a light-gathering front sight, windage and elevation adjustable rear sight, and a rubber grip with checkered hardwood inserts.

"The SP101 has a reputation for being a very strong and reliable revolver and combining it with the powerful .327 Federal Magnum cartridge creates a perfect "kit gun" package," said Chris Killoy, Ruger President and Chief Operating Officer. "The compact size of the SP101 makes it the ideal companion while in the woods or afield, and the longer barrel helps the .327 Federal Magnum cartridge reach its velocity potential," he concluded.

The 29.5-ounce, SP101 can be fired in either a double-action or single-action mode, and includes Ruger's triple locking cylinder that locks the cylinder from the front, rear and bottom for reliability and durability. The rubber grip assures positive control while reducing recoil, and the Ruger transfer bar mechanism provides a measure of security against accidental discharge."

mohavesam

Hawkeye
While I really like the Single-Seven, I complained about the loading problems with the 7-shot cylinder, and I was intrigued by the timing issues they solved.
BUT I like the 6-round SP101 in 327FM - which i confide, is the only SP101 I actually like for real-life trail and ranch carry.

http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5773.html

The newest model should be a regular production-schedule model. That is, customers should understand Ruger's handguns are not generally perpetual-prod. line items anymore. I hope we'll see a good run of the easier-to build 6-rd 327FM in the new or any SP101 variant. Gun and cartridge were made for each other!
-and because everyone here is never satisfied...Dare we hold out for a 5 or 6" contour barrel...?

Cordite

Single-Sixer
Does anyone have an idea of the shipment date on these new SP101s? Lately Ruger has not announced items unless shipment was imminent and I am hoping that is the case now as well.

Cordite

CaptBullets

Bearcat
I was really hoping this was going to be the rumored GP-100 in 22LR.

Still I like this a lot. Will definitely be on my list to check out at the upcoming NRA Show.

Brian

I'll admit that this is a caliber that I am totally unfamiliar with. What is it comparable to, or more importantly, why would I want a gun in this caliber? Does it do something better than other more common calibers like 38 Special or 22 Magnum? Just curious.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
VIto,
You want a gun in this caliber.

Then again, it is not for everyone. But it does darn near everything if the triggerman does his part.

foytfoyt

Bearcat
With respect to what value does it add, it gives you an extra round (vs 38) in a serious self defense caliber.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.327_Federal_Magnum

OldePhart

Blackhawk
IMHO for defensive purposes it's most useful to use a 3" or 4" barrel and compare to other established "defensive" rounds. If one compares the 115gr Gold Dot in .327 with the popular 125gr JHP in .357 the .327 looks really good at 3", for example. Not only are the muzzle energies similar, the power factor (which personally I think is a more reliable indicator than muzzle energy of the overall "stopping" performance) of the two rounds are within spitting distance (~150 for the .327 and ~155 for the .357). If one goes to longer barrels (especially out to 8+") the .357 shows the .327 the door. However, in terms of a defensive round what that really means is the .357 has a lot more excessive flash/boom from a short 3" barrel, for little to no increase in useful power over the .327 from the same length.

Of course, there are some "low flash" .357 defensive rounds available now that address the problem, but that comes at performance that is significantly reduced from "standard" .357 performance.

I think at the end of the day the .327 and .357 are probably about equally likely, from a 3" barrel, to stop an attacker. The .327 has the potential to do so with less flash/boom and offers that extra round in the cylinder.

Of course, the .357 has a long history of having a very good percentage of one-hit stops while the .327 hasn't proven itself...yet. 8)

John

lark63

Single-Sixer
Talk to Mike- ACRYLICTNK Here on the forum.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=220943
Very good guy to deal with.

I am still on the fence on this one. I think the caliber is great but just not sure of the length.
Does this caliber have lasting power for a following? I think it is a niche caliber but look what the early 327's are bringing. I think buy now because they just might not be available all that long. I am investing in more Rugers. :shock: