New .22/45 RP loose barrel!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Trigger

Bearcat
Took my new 22/45RP pistol to the range today and put a couple hundred rounds through.
I noticed that the barrel had a little play in it that our other 2 do not have.

(in fact I have never gotten the barrels off of the others to this day)

I took the new RP gun apart tonight and the barrel came right off with no effort what so ever.
I see nothing that gives me any clue why this barrel is so loose.
I mean the entire top of the gun moves around in the plastic lower.

Anybody heard of this issue?

Looks like an email to Ruger is in order.

Trigger

Bearcat
It shot fine, This was it's first time out and with the wind gusting over 40MPH there was no way to dial it in but for a brand new gun it performed great!
(other than the barrel issue)

NewRuger.jpg

I use a scope because we are outdoors shooting 50-100 yards in a plinking pit.

I shot 40 rounds of MiniMags then Federal Lightning the rest of the day.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
I take it you mean the whole receiver assembly is loose in the frame???
That's still a very unusual occurrence, my 22/45RP is very tight in the frame, have to whack it pretty good with my leather hammer to get it off for maintenance, same with my old MK II.
Not dangerous but I think you'd better send that one back to Ruger.
Bummer,
Sal

Too much stuff fastened to it?(just kidding) My old beater 22/45 has a little slack which doesn't affect it's functionality or accuracy. It's been dropped, stepped on, sat on, and generally clunked around for 5 years and was a used gun when I got it.

contender

Ruger Guru
Occasionally you will get a "looser" fit of the reciever to frame mating. I have a MKI that shakes a little itself when I handle it. However, it shoots just fine.
I have heard of some folks just making a thin shim of some type to add to the notch/post contact point on the frame. A piece of aluminum soda can etc can work.

louiethelump

Buckeye
If you take the receiver off the poly frame and look at the bottom of it where the hook from the poly frame engages it, you will see where they hit it with a hammer to bend the bottom of the tube that is the receiver up to engage the hook on the frame. The steel frames don't require this as they have a larger hook. If the small amount of play in there bothers you, take the receiver off and whack it again in the same spot and put a little more bend into it to tighten it up. That is what they will do with it when you send it back.

On my poly frame gun with a pac lite upper on it, I left this bottom edge alone and it has a tiny bit of play, but shoots well and reliably. Your sights are attached to the receiver so it is not likely to cause accuracy issues. You could always just leave it alone...........

Louie

rooger

Single-Sixer
[ but I think you'd better send that one back to Ruger.
Sal]

I completely agree. This is unacceptable for a new gun and Ruger will fix it.

Trigger

Bearcat
I called Ruger and they emailed an overnight UPS label for return.

They said mine must have gotten out without the hammer process because it was far more than a little loose.

It's a new gun so they can fix it, not me.

I have not heard back from them yet.

Went to the range the other day and let one of the staffers fire the .22 for fun. He and I both noticed that the red dot scope felt loose on the receiver. Or perhaps the rail was a bit loose... But no! It was the barrel and receiver that didn't have a tight fit on the frame.
Took it home and cut up small pieces of black electrician's tape to functions as shims... worked perfectly! The gun is as solid as a rock.
The drawback is that the oils and stuff cause the tape to slip and not stay secure, I might try a bit of soda pop can as suggested previously.
The gun shoots better'n I can hold it!

100_2238.jpg