Lots of defects on my new Ruger 10/22 TD

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chuckfish

Single-Sixer
Wow sounds like Ruger is getting as bad as Remlin...I think I'll wait awhile before I bite on a 10/22 TD or maybe look else where for a different brand.Sad to see Ruger go down hill...

wingman

Single-Sixer
You can easily see how rough mine is around the front sight area by this blowup photo. But actual size it doesn't really bother me too much.

I don't know if the indentations on the breach end of the barrel, made by the bolt smacking it,
is a problem or not.

Barrol.jpg

welder

Buckeye
Not sure what's going on at Ruger and I hate to see them take this route, but there are some problems. I've passed on several (new) Rugers lately and sent my first one back this year. Regardless of the price or purpose, the OP deserved a better gun than he received.

randyinseville

Bearcat
Send it back, they wil take care of you. Ruger went above and beyond when I sent back my 44special Blackhawk a couple years back.

Lateck

Single-Sixer
Wow!
I have never looked at any of my guns that closely... Unless it is affecting the operation, accuracy or a real big issue, I don't worry about it. But that's me.
Now that sight being off needs to be fixed....

But I have purchased a number of Ruger products in the last couple of years and I am very happy with them. I plan on buying more. So I would say; you just got the one in a thousand that can go bad, sorry.

I am sure Ruger will do you right.

Lateck,

CraigC

Hawkeye
Wow, some folks need to get out more. The only real issue I see there is the rear sight and you should've seen that before you took the rifle home. If you want perfection, plan on spending A LOT more money. Especially for a takedown.

Wingman's rifle, on the other hand, is another story entirely.

m657

Buckeye
I appreciate the discussion and photos here.

The one I had in hand for inspection was quite 'perfect' without any of the dings demonstrated here.

I am waiting for my LGS to receive his order, which I will inspect with this very thread in mind.

The only Ruger I ever had an issue with was one of the first Redhawk 44 mags about ,what, 30 years ago?

It wasn't Ruger's fault what happened to mine, they stood behind it anyway, and I've been a staunch advocate of their products & service ever since....although I've never needed any factory remedy to any problems, their tech guys have answered a number of questions for me.

Wrangler John

Bearcat
As I posted a while ago, my 10/22TD had a defect where it shipped with the barrel clamp (Part Key 9) loose. This left the barrel wiggling around. When the clamp screws were tightened with a torque wrench the barrel would not assemble. Seems the clamp was not finished to the proper dimension. After dressing the top surface of the clamp down the barrel would assemble normally. Next problem was that the firing pin would not impact case rims with sufficient force, or low enough for consistent ignition. After cleaning and reassembly the condition continued, so the firing pin was replaced with an aftermarket model. Ignition improved but was still iffy. Because the trigger was a disaster, extreme creep and weight of pull, I replaced it with another aftermarket trigger of known quality.

A follow up visit to the range showed some improvement, but the misfiring and stovepipe jams were still a nuisance. This may be an ammunition problem, it may also be a problem that will correct itself with continued use. However, I was not impressed with the quality of the 10/22TD which seems to have suffered from not so much quality control deficiencies, although the out of spec and loose barrel clamp is one, but also engineering that has as its goal cost reduction rather than dependability. This 10/22 is a far cry from my original models that functioned flawlessly, but Bill Ruger Sr. & Jr. were in charge then. Just my opinion.

snoopandpoop

Bearcat
My chamber face shows similar scorching. Am I wrong in thinking that this is just a cosmetic issue (which doesn't concern me)? Or is this something that is going to degrade the metal over time.

wingman

Single-Sixer
I contacted Ruger about my barrel, I emailed them the photo. They emailed a UPS label and had me send it in for service. They just received it today. I hope it doesn't take too long.

Barrol.jpg

snoopandpoop

Bearcat
I emailed them as well. They responded by saying that the scorch marks are normal, and an effect of heat-treating the barrel. I don't have the pit marks on mine like you do, though. Glad they're making it right.

wingman

Single-Sixer
snoopandpoop said:
I emailed them as well. They responded by saying that the scorch marks are normal, and an effect of heat-treating the barrel. I don't have the pit marks on mine like you do, though. Glad they're making it right.

Thanks. Mine has the scorch marks too but that didn't bother me. They didn't tell me what caused my guns issues but I guess they thought it serious enough to fix.

Ps90man

Bearcat
My first takedown 10/22 had extra metal hanging down inside the receiver just above the bore and it overlapped the top edge of the bolt when it was closed ! Just received number two today from ruger and its worse than the first so everyone needs to look close inside the receivers for metal missed while being milled out ! This time I'm not going to be so nice ! I waited a month and a half for my replacement that's still junk ! Smh !

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Ps90man said:
My first takedown 10/22 had extra metal hanging down inside the receiver just above the bore and it overlapped the top edge of the bolt when it was closed ! Just received number two today from ruger and its worse than the first so everyone needs to look close inside the receivers for metal missed while being milled out ! This time I'm not going to be so nice ! I waited a month and a half for my replacement that's still junk ! Smh !

It is time to discuss with the Prez, Mike Fifer. He needs to attend to these issues, I softly offer. Call him at the Southport offices, Conn., Ruger's HQ.

Iowa Fox

Bearcat
I purchased a TD about a month ago. The dealer had 10 in stock, one on display and 9 in sealed boxes. I looked at the display and got to the 4th box I opened before I found one the was acceptable. And it wasn't perfect. Rugers New Hampshire plant has some issues they need to address which I base on more than this thread.