Loading For The 30-30 Winchester

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I have recently purchased a Marlin rifle in 30-30 and I will be loading for it soon. A couple of questions if you 'all don't mind.

1) Full length size or just neck size the cases?

2) What two powders would you start with for medium weight jacketed bullets for target, plinking, maybe hunting? I am thinking Varget and H4895. It seems to me from the data that Varget gives very good velocity and good accuracy. I believe the H4895 to be very versatile from mild to near the top end.

I have got some Federal factory ammo to hold me over till I get set-up for reloading and to provide brass. I will be trying the 150gr and 170gr ammo first. Thanks for any comments/opinions. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

WYO1

Bearcat
You will need to full length size for reliable feed in your levergun. Also I would purchase the Lee factory crimp die, it just makes life easier. Your powder choices are good and their are a number of others as your manual will list. Have fun !

pps

Single-Sixer
I use Varget and a 178 grain cast. (the 28.5 grains of varget that I use gets 1800fps with the cast bullet pictured below...20" barrel)

28 grains of Varget will be a good starting load with the 170 grain jacketed. The lee factory crimp die works very well in this caliber.

30-30.jpg

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi, Jimbo

My current loads are based on Win 748, w/ a 150 gr Rem Core-Lokt soft point (the one designed for the .30-30), or 170 gr lead FP cast using a Lee mold and Rotometals' version of a "hardball" alloy, water cooled, gas checked and lubed w/ Lee Liquid Alox. The jacketed bullet is loaded over a "starting" load from the Winchester book. The cast one's loaded over a "calculated" load using Lee's formula for reduced loads. Don't have the specs in front of me right now, but I got it from Lee's "Modern Reloading 1st Ed." The 2nd Ed. should have it, too. I'm thinking I used about 1750-1800 fps for the target velocity when crunching the numbers.

Cases are full length resized each time, and that powder shoots quite cleanly. No leading problems have been observed. Lee's FCD is used for a "light side of medium" crimp (for comparison, I'd call pps' picture a "medium.")

The jacketed load produces "minute of Bambi" accuracy to about 150 yds w/ iron sights on a Win 94 top eject. The cast load's good to about 100. Haven't clocked either one yet.

Now, you might want to do some research on your Marlin if you want to use cast bullets. The Micro-groove rifling has been reported to present some challenges to the cast bullet shooter. They can be dealt w/ but I don't recall the things you need to look for. Mighta been the Castboolits guys where I read about such stuff.

Sorry I'm not any more precise this evening--just pulling stuff from the top of my head!

Rick C

kelbro

Single-Sixer
W748 and IMR3031 have been the most accurate for me with both cast and factory jacketed. I tried Varget and H4895. They both shot OK but the 748 and 3031 shot better. Mine's a Winny though, not a Marlin.

Cholo

Staff member
The only thing I can add to the above posts is to go lightly with the case lube. The 30-30 shoulders dimple easily when full length resizing.

tomisu

Bearcat
Jimbo,

I have found H4895 to be a good powder for a practice load with lighter bullets, accurcay is acceptable. With H4895 is seems that the accuracy stays about the same to max load. I have had my best luck with Win 748 using CCI Magnum primers for my full strength 170 gr hunting loads. I recently made up some rounds using Hodgdon LeverEVOLUTION powder and Hornady FTX bullet with a CCI Mag primer and found it to be as accurate as my Win 748 rounds.

I have not tried Varget in the 30-30, but have excellent results with 30-06 M1 Garand loads as well as hunting loads for 8 mm Mauser. I could not see working up Varget loads when the Win 748 loads were so accurate. I had similar results with H4895 in both the 30-06 and the 8 mm Mauser, accuracy was acceptable, but Varget was more accurate as you got closer to max.

Tom

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Thanks for all the great tips. You guys really come through. That W748 looks like a very versatile powder, says it's cool burning, and guess what, it's cheaper per pound than many others. :D :D

...Jimbo

GP100man

Buckeye
For cast I use reddot for low velocities & 3031 for upper 1800ish loads .

Size boolits to .310" for the micro grooves, I get better accuracy with GCed boolits , especially with upper prssure loads.

Have fun Be safe !!

keyston44

Bearcat
I use 7.5 gr of Unique under a 150gr cast gas check boolit without the gas check for my plinking load, that one runs 1280 fps.
Then I put the gas check on it, change the powder to 33gr of WW 748 for 2150 fps.

Key

I used to load very extensively for my .30-30 Trapper.

Favorite powder...Reloder 7.

Favorite bullet...130 grain Speer Flat/Soft-Point.

This is an excellent deer bullet, and being somewhat lighter, it's a pleasure to shoot.
WAYNO.

Elmer

Bearcat
H322 28gr. works well for me with Sierra Pro-Hunter 150gr flat points (PN 2000) and Winchester WLR primers and Remington brass. My Marlin and my Winchester both shoot very good groups with that combo. I also have had good luck with IMR-3031 and Rem. 170gr Core-Lokts.

An important note about Marlins and primers: they like the softer ones. I had to switch from Rem. 9 1/2 to Win WLR because I was getting way too many clicks instead of bangs with the Rem. primers even after installing a new hammer spring in the Marlin. Win primers solved the problem. My Winchester '94 goes bang every time with either primer.

Definately full-length resize for a lever gun.

Cedar Creek

Bearcat
My current .30-30 powder with jacketed bullets is Varget. My all-time favorite .30-30 load with a Marlin rifle is 125 grain Sierra Flat-Nose Hollowpoint over 36 grains of WW-748 and I had great luck with 170 grain jacketed bullets over 30 grains of IMR3031. I like IMR4198 with cast bullets.

I've been loading .30-30 for over 35 years and really enjoy it - good luck with your rifle!

Cedar Creek