Leading in GP100 6" barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Deadeye

Bearcat
I've reloaded for a long time and never had this problem with a Smith & Wesson 686. I loaded some Falcon brand semi wad cutter 158 grain with 4.1 gr of HP38, Starline 357 case with CCI primer. It took me 2 hours to remove lead from the barrel throat after 50 rounds. The lead came out in thin slivers. The bullets mic out at .358 which is the norm for a lead bullet in 38/357 loads. What can I be doing wrong?

DC Plumber

Bearcat
Maybe the bullets are too hard for the pressure pushing thm.

I've heard it can cause gas cutting and leading.

What is the Brinnell hardness?

any ruger

Blackhawk
I've seen so much said about removing lead chore boy this formula, that formula. For the last 15 to 20 years all I've ever shot is lead in fact I have 4 boxes of 44 240gr XTP's that I haven't loaded yet . I use a Lewis lead Remover 3 or 4 pulls does the trick no matter how much lead . Used soft swaged and the soft Speer both 357 and 44 mag and really pushed some of them .

Deadeye

Bearcat
any ruger said:
I've seen so much said about removing lead chore boy this formula, that formula. For the last 15 to 20 years all I've ever shot is lead in fact I have 4 boxes of 44 240gr XTP's that I haven't loaded yet . I use a Lewis lead Remover 3 or 4 pulls does the trick no matter how much lead . Used soft swaged and the soft Speer both 357 and 44 mag and really pushed some of them .

Thanks for the heads-up on the Lewis Lead Remover. I just ordered one from Brownells. Thanks again..

Deadeye :D

I had that problem too when using hardcast in my GP100's, and light loads of HP38/Win 231. As soon as I bumped up the charge to 5 grains in the 357 mag case, it worked great - nice and clean forcing cone and barrel.

GP100man

Buckeye
Low pressure loads use very soft boolits , Hi pressure loads use hard boolits , & anything in between is a balancing act & unique to individual firearms.

All this does`nt means spit if the boolit does`nt fit . Hopefully your GPs throats are at least the size of the bore!

Is the cone ruff ???
Have you removed all copper from the cone/bore???
Have you slugged & measured ???

Very few production revolvers of any make anywhere leave the factory lead ready !
The 1 thing that`ll help anyrevolver shoot lead is to have the throats .001-.0015" over bore size , until this happens the boolits enter the cone/bore undersized & skidding/gas cutting is almost inevitable.

GP100man

Buckeye
I have a Lewis kit , the chore boy is easier,faster,cheaper.

Although the lewis kit does have the cone tool & it makes deleading the cone a snap.

PS : order extra screens , as I tore up a few until I learned how to adjust it properly.