LCP FTE issues

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pawel

Bearcat
Greetings all,

I have a 2008 LCP with no more than a couple of hundred of rounds through it (no issues). I recently decided to try running some JHP (Remington factory) in it in preparation for being a carry gun and experienced multiple failures to extract -- the brass would come out only a few mm and the next round would hit it from behind. When I switched back to FMJ, the LCP cycled perfectly.

Called Ruger customer service and they say that because the pistol is > 2 years old, I have to send it in on my own dime -- $30 or so. And, of course, I would have to pay for any repairs they might have to make due to "wear and tear." They said that even if it were determined to be a manufacturing issue, they would still not refund my shipping.

I've read other threads and seen issues with JHP due to barrel problems, and given the low round count, factory ammo, and meticulous cleaning/maintenance of the pistol, I can't imagine this is wear and tear.

Any ideas? I'm very disappointed that Ruger customer service wants me to pay for shipping in this case.

Thanks in advance

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
Remington UMC FMJ is the worst handgun ammunition I've ever used in any caliber (9mm, 45acp, .380), but I'm not familiar with their HP ammo. My 371-generation LCP has over 1000 rounds through it with many brands of ammo. UMC Remington is the only ammo that it ever choked on. But, anyway...if it functions with other HP rounds I wouldn't worry about it. If there's a problem Ruger will repair it. My SR45 went back to Ruger twice and my LCP stopped extracting after 800 rounds when the extractor snapped off at the end a few years ago. They told you because the pistol was over 2 years old they weren't honoring their warranty? Huh? If you emailed them call them. If you called them email them. Sounds like you got some "tool" in customer service. More than likely you have some ammo issues. I've had a S&W 639 since the late '80's with thousands of rounds through it except Cor-Bon ammo. It just won't function (cycle) in the old horse. Can handle cheapo Wolf, reloads, HP, +P, etc. Sneak a Cor-Bon round in the single stack mag and a jam occurs. The SR9 and 9c love it though.

kendak

Bearcat
don't know who you talked to but Ruger E-Mailed me a shipping label when my 4yr old LCP had some problems after 800+rds. ...they replaced everything but the frame & returned it in 5 working days at no cost to me ...best CS in the business bar none

41 Magnum

Single-Sixer
Mine is working with Rem. Gold Saber H.P., & has since it was new, in "09". Only issues I ever had was with Fiocci ammo.

George

Blackhawk
Ruger warranty is Lifetime = Forever! You will see tons of much older guns that Ruger picked up the tab on 100% you will not find better place to deal with nore find more loyal customers.. You must have got someone new or something.. Also try other JHP's before sending it in.. Your gun is covered not to worry! George

Altered

Bearcat
I bought a used P95 and it started the failure to eject. I called Ruger the lady talked to me trying to resolve the issue. After 5 min or so she suggested me sending it in. I said sure she took my info emailed me a shipping label and all was done at no cost to me. I had my gun back in about 2 weeks and it has been flawless ever since. They even sent papers listing the parts replaced.

In the manual and I think on their website it does say The do not "warranty" but do stand behind their products. So be polite and try again as others have said you may have got the one misguided employee. Good luck