LCP vs LCP Gen 2

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bear007

Bearcat
I'm just curious. When did the LCP become a Gen 2? Year? S/n? What differences are there between the 2?

I have an older LCP with a CT laser I believe. So I'm just curious which gen I have.

Thanks

Ya learn something every day ….. I thought Gen 2 meant the newer LCP II.

Ruger really messed up this thing. So many times you here someone talking about a LCPll and they are in fact talking about the LCP Gen 2 and vice versa. I believe now there is just the LCP which is the Gen2 and then the LCPll in 380 and no longer manufactured. The LCP ll is not 22.cal only.

Reminds me of the "Who's on First" comedy act.

hittman

Staff member
Yeah thats confusing.
I just double checked and my LCP-II IS a 380 that was made in 2017.
I didnt know the LCP-II was now only 22LR.
I see on their web site it IS still made in 380 in the LCP ( NO -II ).

Obviously I wasn't paying attention and thought when they "upgraded" the design of the grip the gun became the -II.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Bought my first LCP in 2008 and carried it for 14 years. (Top pic)
Bought a second one about 10 years ago that turned out to be the 2nd Gen. with the slightly better trigger & sights. I have kept that one NIB in case the original goes belly up. It must've been one of the last ones made in Prescott. (Not pictured)
In 2016 I bought another Gen 2 as a gift to my son - it was made in Mayodan (in the pic below).
Early in 2022 I bought an LCP Max (black slide) that is now my EDC, and gave the 2008 LCP to my granddaughter.
Then late last year I bought a stainless slide Max that will probably supplant the black one as my EDC.
Never cared much for an LCP II.

Attachments

• IMG_1125.jpeg
    IMG_1125.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4235.jpeg
    IMG_4235.jpeg
    35.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8292.jpeg
    IMG_8292.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5625.jpeg
    IMG_5625.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
Bought my first LCP in 2008 and carried it for 14 years. (Top pic)
Bought a second one about 10 years ago that turned out to be the 2nd Gen. with the slightly better trigger & sights. I have kept that one NIB in case the original goes belly up. It must've been one of the last ones made in Prescott. (Not pictured)
In 2016 I bought another Gen 2 as a gift to my son - it was made in Mayodan (in the pic below).
Early in 2022 I bought an LCP Max (black slide) that is now my EDC, and gave the 2008 LCP to my granddaughter.
Then late last year I bought a stainless slide Max that will probably supplant the black one as my EDC.
Never cared much for an LCP II.
My progression with LCPs has been much the same, just add a KT P3AT in up front, and make my LCP Gen 2 one of the Custom series with red aluminum trigger and really tall sights. Love my Max, my EDC.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Purchased original LCP the day Scheels in Sparks opened in Sep. 2008. First regular customer to do so. It is a pistol for carrying while playing in a card game, though have never heard of a shootout in my lifetime and I don't play cards anymore. Good summer time concealed carry pistol.

Bought my LCP when they first came out. Could not shoot it worth a damn. But it became a challenge and I shot it until it feel apart, then went on to buy many more until they feel apart and Ruger cut me off, Or at least threatened to. Still have one left. That said, just ordered another one that will be arriving tomorrow. Also ordered some more Recoil 13lb springs and Magazine springs from Wolf. I still have quite a number of guide rods, take down pins from years past. (Bought another LCP GEN2) My choice of the Present models and for $200 just a good deal to have another small gun to use as a truck gun.
I love the small barrel pocket guns. Just looking at the Seecamps but too much out of my pocket range.

Ab8XHrB.jpg

2) Ruger LCP Gen 2
1)Ruger LCP ll 22.cal
1) Kahr CW380
1) Kahr P380
3) Beretta Pico's
1) Keltec P32

Last edited:

Armybrat

Buckeye
Out of stock now…

Hankus

Blackhawk
Bought my LCP when they first came out. Could not shoot it worth a damn. But it became a challenge and I shot it until it feel apart, then went on to buy many more until they feel apart and Ruger cut me off, Or at least threatened to. Still have one left. That said, just ordered another one that will be arriving tomorrow. Also ordered some more Recoil 13lb springs and Magazine springs from Wolf. I still have quite a number of guide rods, take down pins from years past. (Bought another LCP GEN2) My choice of the Present models and for $200 just a good deal to have another small gun to use as a truck gun.
I love the small barrel pocket guns. Just looking at the Seecamps but too much out of my pocket range.

Ab8XHrB.jpg

2) Ruger LCP Gen 2
1)Ruger LCP ll 22.cal
1) Kahr CW380
1) Kahr P380
3) Beretta Pico's
1) Keltec P32
Here's a small "pocket gun" that I picked up six or seven years ago at a show for $350 including the box, documents AND a spare magazine. I bought it just because I wanted one back in the '80s when they came out, but couldn't afford one on a soldier's pay. It's a tad heavy for pocket carry though …

Attachments

• IMG_0128.jpeg
    IMG_0128.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 16