Lcp 2 issues.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
Ok,
So I swapped nothing.
Still has issues with extractions and slide resetting all the way forward.
This thread is downright bizarre.

I don't know whether to say *I can't imagine why* or *Words fail me*.

Since you're not looking for help, why did you start this thread? Really, I'd like to know.

Good luck.

@nerfella
Have you been over to RimfireCentral? I know on that site there are some people who like to change things on their pistols. The few times I've changed springs on different guns, I haven't had gods results. It isn't something I think about doing because of the problems I've had in the past.

But if you had the patience to go through 500 rounds with 2 or 3 jams per magazine, that is something!

Are you against putting the original spring back in the gun? It might be the easiest place to start.

Actually I wonder if the "Heavy Duty Stress Proof Take Down Pin" might be causing a problem. If it is just ever so slightly too big it might have too much friction and not allow the gun to cycle as smoothly.

Just a thought.

contender

Ruger Guru
As you can see,, your last post got edited by a moderator. For language. We are a family friendly Forum here,, so please try & respect that.

As for a gunsmith messing up. I see it a lot. Just because a person calls themselves a gunsmith,, doesn't mean that they are actually a GOOD gunsmith. With the tens of thousands of different guns out there,, nobody can be an expert in all of them. With the modern stuff, many will just be swapping parts, and not shooting more than a few test rounds.
Again,, the best idea is to try swapping out one part at a time to try & narrow down the problem. OR,, return all the OEM parts,, run the gun, then try adding one part at a time.

nerfella

Bearcat
This thread is downright bizarre.

I don't know whether to say *I can't imagine why* or *Words fail me*.

Since you're not looking for help, why did you start this thread? Really, I'd like to know.

Good luck.
LOL.
I wanted to make sure that it was clear to all forum members that nothing was changed back and the consistent issues are not a one time range fluke because the gun was dirty or something was installed incorrectly.

Here's what I noticed
1. Slide didn't go all the way back to firing position, and usually would get stuck 1/4 inch from closing or would have an issue loading a new bullet into the barrel and be wide open. Bullet would be lined up but it was like very slowly entering the barrel.
wasnt sure if this was a cleaning issue but after using a boresnake and gun oil the issue didn't subside.
2. Because of issue #1, there were extraction malfunctions keeping a dud rimfire in the barrel and the gun attempting to load another round in. The dp was very irritating as it had happened nearly every mag at least twice.
3. Trigger is still tits. 3.5 lb trigger with a 10lb spring

hittman

Staff member
For as long as I've been alive these little 22LR semi auto's have been "hit or miss" on reliability; at BEST.
Nothings changed.
Some folks thrive on trying to make them work.
Others don't have the patience for that. My hobbies are NOT supposed to be an aggravation; or work and additional expense.

Never seen the logic ( or fun ) in buying a $300 gun then adding $100 or more on experiments throwing parts at it and another $100 or more on "break in" ammo.

Just buy a better / different gun.

nerfella

Bearcat
Thanks for your input. I guess it really is a hit or miss.

It's my first time buying a cheap gun and modding it. My Sig p220 internals are done by gray guns and it was not cheap but I've also put maybe 2500 rounds through it and not a single issue. My other guns done by shops have been very similar. Thousands of rounds and no issues.
I can relate modding a cheap gun to buying cheap car and transforming it to a track build. I just wanted a fun range gun but actually ended up like the size. Little recoil, cheap bullets, able to spend hours at the range.

It's pretty accurate at 15 yards. Past that distance I'd feel more confident using my sig.

To start with the 22LR ammunition is semi-reliable due to the way it is made. Typically promotional ammo like Yellow Jackets, Wildcats etc. are made in the billions. The manufacturer barely puts enough priming compound to fill the rim completely so with the tolerance in the definition of a measured drop there is a 50% that there is not enough priming compound to fill the rim so there are gaps. Then we have the issue of the tolerance on the powder charge, rest assured once it is setup in production, if the charge is checked every 1000 rounds or so, you are lucky. Now you installed an Extra Power recoil spring and are probably running cheap ammo that has questionable quality control (just last couple weeks there was a thread concerning this very issue) and you are bitching about reliablity of the LCP II 22. You also mentioned a trigger spring kit, did it have a replacement hammer spring too? If that was the case the hammer spring in the kit is of a lesser power than the stock Ruger spring. Back to the 22 LR ammo, the brass, the cases are made out of, varies probably .0005 in thickness in the area of the rim and elsewhere so the effort for the hammer needs to be higher (call it the stock spring) than the Trigger Spring Kit did not supply. All your "enhancements" including paint where it was detrimental to functioning are the culprit in the malfunctioning issues. "I got my gun and wasn't really enjoying the oem feel after about 200 rounds. I felt it had no life to it and with a long trigger and heavy slide, it wasn't an ideal use. The mag was easy pop out by accident due to the placement of the mag button. However it had no malfunctions within the first 200 rounds." GO FIGURE!

Wanted to add one more thing. When it comes to jams and such in .22 semi handguns, it has almost always been caused by the wrong ammo. Subsonic rounds are a glaring example, of course, but even some standard velocity ( for me, Remington Target come to mind) will cause problems. If you make sure you put quality high velocity rounds through it there shouldn't be any real problems- assuming the gun is clean and all parts are properly aligned.

I am still attempting to find someone who owns an Excel Arms Accelerator MP-17 .17 HMR that I could try. It should theoretically feed as well as a .22 LR, but it hasn't gained fame for it in a pistol. THAT would be closer to Nerfella's "BB" analogy. Could be a fun target pistol for sure.!

jav

Single-Sixer
@nerfella
Have you been over to RimfireCentral? I know on that site there are some people who like to change things on their pistols. The few times I've changed springs on different guns, I haven't had gods results. It isn't something I think about doing because of the problems I've had in the past.

But if you had the patience to go through 500 rounds with 2 or 3 jams per magazine, that is something!

Are you against putting the original spring back in the gun? It might be the easiest place to start.

Actually I wonder if the "Heavy Duty Stress Proof Take Down Pin" might be causing a problem. If it is just ever so slightly too big it might have too much friction and not allow the gun to cycle as smoothly.

Just a thought.
Kevin you might have a point in the take down pin I will let you know for sure I put it back in won't get to the range till end of Dec but I will definitely let you know so my set is original recoil spring new stainless guide rod and heavy duty take down pin we shall see what happens

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
Toy guns have an orange muzzle. Not "real" ones. Having this configuration "May" be illegal, but it certainly is immoral. That gun needs to be turned in to the police for disposal.

Our gun community is under siege, and has been for years. When law abiding citizens own crap like this it simply puts us all in a bad light.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I value my 2nd amendment rights and I simply get outraged when lack of common sense helps the anti-gunners.

Reactions: jav

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I removed the photos. I posted to ask for advice and this thread got sidetracked on my paint job.
You got the answers to your questions. Why complain? The "sidetracking" was because your "paint job" defies all common sense. If the replies convinced you to make the gun usable as a carry piece, then our job was successful. If not, then there is no more to say.

nerfella

Bearcat
You got the answers to your questions. Why complain? The "sidetracking" was because your "paint job" defies all common sense. If the replies convinced you to make the gun usable as a carry piece, then our job was successful. If not, then there is no more to say.
Firstly, I bought the gun for the paint job. I had a specific build in mind before I purchased it. There's No children at home, or in the vicinity and it's not a daily carry. Stays in the safe with a gun lock around it when not at the range.
Also, it would be stupid to CCW this gun.

my gunsmith said the same thing. He didn't feel comfortable matching a toy gun orange and I agree.

Again, this isn't for a daily carry, not really a carry at all. I do like the gun so I am considering purchasing another one that will be kept stock other than the trigger for a EDC.

I like the size and feel of it as an edc. This specific gun will not currently, nor ever, be used for a carry.
I've made it pretty clear this was never an intended carry piece

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I've made it pretty clear this was never an intended carry piece
If it's locked in a safe in a locked room in your house OK. If you take it out of your house not OK. If you take it to your range., shame shame shame on you.

This whole thread is probably the most bizarre I have ever read. Sir, you better hope that no official read about your ****up because the police may stop in and see you.

You are simply irresponsible. Regardless, you must be a moron since you actually had the lack of common sense to post about this on the internet.

I'm outta here.

Reactions: jav

jav

Single-Sixer
If I missed it, I'm sorry, but nobody has mentioned ammunition. I do agree about changing one part at a time and then testing it. But before I switch everything back again, I'd try some different ammo. There might be some that will cycle just fine with the recoil spring you installed.

But about that paint job: :) I'm all for cerakoting pistols different colors. I would love to have a Kimber Bel Air. I think that is one of the best looking guns. I do like the shade of blue you picked out, with the graphics. However, I do have to agree on the orange tip being a bad idea. But it's done, so good luck with it, I hope it doesn't get you in any unfortunate situations.
I think it's a waste of time and money please

nerfella

Bearcat
If it's locked in a safe in a locked room in your house OK. If you take it out of your house not OK. If you take it to your range., shame shame shame on you.
paint job is getting redone.
The paint was chipping along the barrel and I'm having my gunsmith bring it back to stock.
Words and concerns did not fall on deaf ears.
Thanks all for your input

contender

Ruger Guru
"Words and concerns did not fall on deaf ears.
Thanks all for your input"

I think many of us here applaud you for your decision. You were presented with a different viewpoint,, and decided to look at things from a different perspective. Then made a decision based upon knowledge & thought.

Kudos to you for this.

jav

Single-Sixer
Hi All,

New to the forums and looking for some advice.
I got my gun and wasn't really enjoying the oem feel after about 200 rounds. I felt it had no life to it and with a long trigger and heavy slide, it wasn't an ideal use. The mag was easy pop out by accident due to the placement of the mag button. However it had no malfunctions within the first 200 rounds.
Cleaned my gun, and I went ahead and purchased and installed the following all the while I had my firearm worked on.
Ruger LCP II & LCP MAX Short Stroke Flat Trigger
Ruger LCP II Trigger Spring Kit
Ruger LCP II Extra Power Recoil Spring - 22LR Only
Ruger LCP / LCP II Heavy Duty STRESS-PROOF Takedown Pin
Ruger LCP / LCP II Stainless Steel Guide Rod
Ruger LCP / LCP II Extra Power Mag Release Spring

I put another 300 rounds though it after all the upgraded parts and it would rimfire a dud every 8-10 rounds. Sometimes twice in a row. I can't call it a reliable gun anymore but I really like it for an every day carry.
The trigger and spring kit is tits.
The guide rod, spring and takedown pin I can't feel a difference in other than a little less recoil I guess, but after all, it is a glorified BB gun. The slide also doesn't rack all the way on its own with the new spring. Any experts here care to help?
Thanks in advance.
Yea put the original spring back in