Lcp 2 issues.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

nerfella

Bearcat
Hi All,

New to the forums and looking for some advice.
I got my gun and wasn't really enjoying the oem feel after about 200 rounds. I felt it had no life to it and with a long trigger and heavy slide, it wasn't an ideal use. The mag was easy pop out by accident due to the placement of the mag button. However it had no malfunctions within the first 200 rounds.
Cleaned my gun, and I went ahead and purchased and installed the following all the while I had my firearm worked on.
Ruger LCP II & LCP MAX Short Stroke Flat Trigger
Ruger LCP II Trigger Spring Kit
Ruger LCP II Extra Power Recoil Spring - 22LR Only
Ruger LCP / LCP II Heavy Duty STRESS-PROOF Takedown Pin
Ruger LCP / LCP II Stainless Steel Guide Rod
Ruger LCP / LCP II Extra Power Mag Release Spring

I put another 300 rounds though it after all the upgraded parts and it would rimfire a dud every 8-10 rounds. Sometimes twice in a row. I can't call it a reliable gun anymore but I really like it for an every day carry.
The trigger and spring kit is tits.
The guide rod, spring and takedown pin I can't feel a difference in other than a little less recoil I guess, but after all, it is a glorified BB gun. The slide also doesn't rack all the way on its own with the new spring. Any experts here care to help?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
First, painting a firearm to make it look like it's "just a toy" seems like a bad idea, to me. Good way to get somebody accidentally shot. Plenty of people have been killed with a .22.

If I was going to make several mechanical modifications to a firearm I would do them one at a time, with testing after each change. That way, I'd have a chance to figure out which modification causes a problem. If I had to guess I'd suspect the extra power recoil spring is the likely culprit for your malfunctions. I wouldn't have replaced the factory part since the pistol was working properly.

For me, the most important factor for a carry gun is reliability.

Last edited:

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Sounds like too much BS goin on with some of these newer guns. Shouldn't need to be rebuilt to begin with. Back in 99 I bought a S&W CS-9 and it goes bang all the time at least.

Cholo

Staff member
If I had to guess I'd suspect the extra power recoil spring is the likely culprit for your malfunctions. I wouldn't have replaced the factory part since the pistol was working properly.
↑ Yes.

Why did you change the recoil spring? Malfunctions happen when someone thinks Ruger put the wrong recoil spring in one of their guns.

Ruger determined that it took an X # spring to properly cycle the slide and chamber a new round. A heavier spring slows the process down. In your case it's preventing the slide from fully cycling, and...the slide is slowed down. Sure, it can work...or not.

Sounds like too much BS goin on with some of these newer guns. Shouldn't need to be rebuilt to begin with.
There was absolutely nothing wrong with this gun. It functioned perfectly for 200 rounds as it came out of the box, and then the tinkering started.

mjh

Single-Sixer
I got my gun and wasn't really enjoying the oem feel after about 200 rounds. I felt it had no life to it and with a long trigger and heavy slide, it wasn't an ideal use. The mag was easy pop out by accident due to the placement of the mag button. However it had no malfunctions within the first 200 rounds.
No malfunctions within the first 200 rounds and now look what you did.
No life? Not enjoying the feel? Well did it go bang and send lead down range?

I can understand a handgun not having a good fit in ones hand. I can understand a trigger one does not like even though it functions. I can understand the aesthetic like or dislike of a firearm.

As mentioned change one thing at time and see how it functions. Then the next item.

I suspect the Nerf paint job and the bb gun attitude might have something to do with the issues as well.

contender

Ruger Guru
First off, "Welcome to the Forum!" We do try to help folks here as much as possible.

But I have to agree with my fellow posters. The gun functioned as designed when it was factory stock. When you start altering parts,, you run the risk of malfunctions. I've seen it OFTEN in USPSA where a lot of "custom" work is done to try & squeeze just a little bit more performance out of a firearm. Sometimes it works,, and sometimes it doesn't.

As for the comment; "but after all, it is a glorified BB gun." I have to disagree. From direct & very personal experience,, I have been shot with a .22 out of a handgun, and I WISH it had been a BB gun instead. I have a permanent disability/injury due to a .22 LR round. And if you consider it so puny, why then do you; "but I really like it for an every day carry." ???

I would also like to POLITELY suggest you re-consider the orange painted muzzle. It's already bad enough that LEO's have to look at guns closely to determine if they are toys or not. Toy companies make their toys with the orange muzzles to assist LEO's in their safety. And to add another real life story, (which I posted here) on 7/3/23, a good friend of mine, a NC State Highway Patrolman was shot in the chest with a Desert Eagle .44 mag that he directly told me he "thought was an airsoft gun at first." Luckily, he realized it was real and he was in a gunfight. He took a round to his chest,, luckily, his vest saved him, and he was able to return fire killing the thug.
If your intention is to make others think your gun is a toy to give you time to fire first,, then I pray you never have to meet a LEO and pull it. And if your intention is to do exactly that TO LEO'S then you aren't the type of person who respects the law or LEO's and I personally dislike that because my son is LEO, a brother from another mother is LEO, and I know many LEO's.

That said,, I'd do as suggested above. Start with one part at a time, replacing your aftermarket ones with the factory ones & see if you correct the problem.

Last edited:

nerfella

Bearcat
Thanks all for the input.
Firstly, I bought the gun for the paint job. I had a specific build in mind before I purchased it. There's No children at home, or in the vicinity and it's not a daily carry. Stays in the safe with a gun lock around it when not at the range.
Also, it would be stupid to CCW this gun.

Many of these parts were chosen because of the forums. After reading that many parts go bad early in the CA compliant version, I also read Ruger has a great parts program from what I understood. I'm a big believer in preventative maintenance and "bulletproofing" so I don't mind doing extra. Normally I've seen great results with my glocks, sigs, and etc however I guess here is one example that isn't as successful.

Thank you to @Cholo @arfmel and @Mauser9 for the advice regarding the most reliable cycling option of swapping the recoil spring.

@mjh it went bang. I didn't like how it went bang.

Also, does anyone make an upgraded firing pin? I read it's titanium from factory and it doesn't hold up the best if it's dry firing or hittings duds.

Thanks

Reactions: mjh

nerfella

Bearcat
As for the comment; "but after all, it is a glorified BB gun." I have to disagree. From direct & very personal experience,, I have been shot with a .22 out of a handgun, and I WISH it had been a BB gun instead. I have a permanent disability/injury due to a .22 LR round. And if you consider it so puny, why then do you; "but I really like it for an every day carry." ???
I'm sorry to hear you got hit with a .22 and got disabled from it. Im not discrediting the round using that phrase. We all know a .22 can cause damage.
Glorified BB gun is what it is. Rounds are about the same size but a .22 will actually ruin your day.

nerfella

Bearcat
I was editing my post as you replied. I do hope you will consider the idea of at least removing the orange colored muzzle.
I've considered it, the orange is not a hi vis orange. The vertical photo is more representing of the color. It's a little more dull, my gunsmith said the same thing. He didn't feel comfortable matching a toy gun orange and I agree.

Again, this isn't for a daily carry, not really a carry at all. I do like the gun so I am considering purchasing another one that will be kept stock other than the trigger for a EDC.

@contender as for LEO,
1. it would be dumb to post this online and then use it against a LEO. Pretty open and shut case for life in a cell.
2. I'm a veteran.
3. Thankfully we have a justice system and a lawyer on retainer. It would be unwise to exponentially decrease my chances of being a free man because of something a lawyer can handle.

Last edited:
Again. Altering the weapon from factory configuration, for instance by "upgrading" the current firing pin, can reduce the safety and reliability of the pistol. Generally a lightweight firing pin or striker is used to reduce the likelihood of a weapon going off by being dropped on its muzzle. If the design includes a spring to retract the firing pin, the strength of that spring is specified for the mass of the OEM firing pin.

Sometimes well intentioned people swap out parts to "upgraded ones" based on what they've read on various websites. We often see posts here from someone who has done just that, and is now seeking help with getting their pistol to work reliably again. Many years of experience has finally taught me not to "fix" what isn't broken. As a general rule, the more aftermarket stuff you add to a functional pistol, the more trouble you will have with it.

You posted: "I can't call it a reliable gun anymore but I really like it for an every day carry."

You can see why we're confused about whether you're using the pistol as a carry weapon.

I still don't see how any good can come of having it painted up to look like a toy, or what the legitimate purpose of that would be.

Last edited:

nerfella

Bearcat
You posted: "I can't call it a reliable gun anymore but I really like it for an every day carry."

You can see why we're confused about whether you're using the pistol as a carry weapon. The belt clip shown in your photos sort of confirms the use as a carry weapon IMO.

I still don't see how any good can come of having it painted up to look like a toy, or what the legitimate purpose of that would be.
I like the size and feel of it as an edc. This specific gun will not currently, nor ever, be used for a carry.
The clip is on because I bought it. after putting +/- 500 rounds through it, I thought I'll try it out at home and the range and see how it sits on me concealed before I buy another lcp2.

Originally, the nerf gun below was the motivation to replicate. Just as others do a Milwaukee or dewalt paint job on their glocks, I've always wanted a "nerf gun". I guess the "novelty"

I don't store my guns with a mag in, again, only with a gun lock and in the safe or locked range bag. See below, gun lock doesn't come off until I'm ready to shoot with a target down range. No bullets in the magazines either until we're at the range, ready to go.

Last edited:
You mention in prior post that you have and use a safe for storage, then you put a cable lock through the action. Huh? Firearms don't get together in a safe and conspire to load themselves when left alone in a dark safe interior. Obviously just a little weird since the keys are left in the locks. BTW I have quite a few of those type of locks, there are about 4 different key code configurations. Not exactly infallible.

nerfella

Bearcat
lol.

We live alone. No kids yet. Cable lock is for piece of mind that the weapon is clear. Safe doesn't have batteries in it.

jav

Single-Sixer
First, painting a firearm to make it look like it's "just a toy" seems like a bad idea, to me. Good way to get somebody accidentally shot. Plenty of people have been killed with a .22.

If I was going to make several mechanical modifications to a firearm I would do them one at a time, with testing after each change. That way, I'd have a chance to figure out which modification causes a problem. If I had to guess I'd suspect the extra power recoil spring is the likely culprit for your malfunctions. I wouldn't have replaced the factory part since the pistol was working properly.

For me, the most important factor for a carry gun is reliability.
Ok I did the same thing nothing but a disaster also so I think you are correct on the hd recoil spring , so I change it all back to oem parts and it worked perfectly so don't fix what ain't broke . But since I paid for the parts I will try to put the stainless guide rod back in and the hd take down pin and try a range day with that but I will bring the ome parts with me just in case

↑ Yes.

Why did you change the recoil spring? Malfunctions happen when someone thinks Ruger put the wrong recoil spring in one of their guns.

Ruger determined that it took an X # spring to properly cycle the slide and chamber a new round. A heavier spring slows the process down. In your case it's preventing the slide from fully cycling, and...the slide is slowed down. Sure, it can work...or not.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with this gun. It functioned perfectly for 200 rounds as it came out of the box, and then the tinkering started.
I went through a lot of LCP's over the years. And I will most definitely agree that a heavier recoil spring is needed for these guns. The Wolf 13 lb is what I used to prolong the life of the gun. All that said, I no longer buy LCP's. They just do not hold up well. Mine were reliable until they start cracking frames, grips, broken take down pins, rail spits etc. While they lasted, there were no issues with the heavier recoil spring. Fired just fine.

If I missed it, I'm sorry, but nobody has mentioned ammunition. I do agree about changing one part at a time and then testing it. But before I switch everything back again, I'd try some different ammo. There might be some that will cycle just fine with the recoil spring you installed.

But about that paint job: :) I'm all for cerakoting pistols different colors. I would love to have a Kimber Bel Air. I think that is one of the best looking guns. I do like the shade of blue you picked out, with the graphics. However, I do have to agree on the orange tip being a bad idea. But it's done, so good luck with it, I hope it doesn't get you in any unfortunate situations. I also really like some of the "Gucci Glocks" that are in photographs on the internet. As soon as I can remember to get around to it, I'm going to get one of my Glock's painted all funky.

I think gun companies are catching on about changing the way guns traditionally look to attract younger buyers. I've got a daughter, and if she wants to shoot a pink and blue gun, more power to her. Not all guns have to be black, or steel and walnut.

Anyway, I think you are on the right track, and I wonder how it would have turned out, had you started with a better platform. Something like the SR22. Or a Mark IV 22/45? That pistol has proven aftermarket trigger kits from Tandem Kross. I installed one of their triggers in a 22/45 and it's a great trigger!

Also, one last thought, I see you joined the forum yesterday. I hope you stick around, there is a wealth of knowledge here. I've gotten quite a bit of help over the years.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum.

1. It wasn't broke.
2. You fixed it.
3. Fix it back to original.
Took the words right out of my mouth. I have had ZERO problems with LCP 2s ( With the exception of stupidity on my part- trying to put subsonics through the .22LR. Can't do that with any ..22 LR semi without jamming). Probably one of the most dependable models of gun that I've ever had. I don't understand your paint job, ( I assume that you don't have small children living at home) but welcome aboard nonetheless.

nerfella

Bearcat
Ok,
So I swapped nothing. Went to the range and put about 500 rounds through this thing. Jams twice and misfires about 2-3 rounds every 10 round mag. A little upsetting due to literally wasting nearly 30% of my ammo with XXXXXX rimfire issues. Still has issues with extractions and slide resetting all the way forward.

I did see a huge improvement with the malfunctions when I swapped the ammunition I was using. I went from .22lr 40grain super ammo with copper heads at 1250fps as required with the heavier recoil spring, down to the 1050fps 38grain lead head CIR brand I believe and that one had less rimfire issues, but the gun still Jams as stated above.

I met a guy at the range who swears by glock 19x, g26, hellcat, and sig p365. And he let me shoot his new p365 and for the size, I think a 9mm is overkill. There's has to be a tiny gun like this that is tried and true even with mods. Yall keep saying these guns are unreliable when modded but there's no way something basically becomes inoperable unless my gunsmith XXXXXX up.

Moderator Edit: Language

Last edited by a moderator: