LC9 History, not good

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Since you didn't ask :D .... I think the LCR is a pretty good gun. It has one of the best triggers on any gun in it's class, and it's nice and light. There's a LOT less going on with a revolver, and due to the tight lockup at firing, there's a lot less battering of parts that occur. Less parts, less movement, less stress and wear.

I'd stick with the 38S rather than the 357 if I were to get one, which I probably never will since I have so many 38 and 357 caliber revolvers. I prefer autos for self defense, and self defense is the only reason to own an LCR. If I were to carry a revolver for SD .. it most likely would be an LCR. Several friends have them and I've shot them pretty extensively.

REV

Lateck

Single-Sixer
Happy LC9 (among other Ruger plastic guns) Owner.
No problems that I have not had any other brand that I own, if any.
The only thing I'll say is that Any Thing made by man can and will break! ALL gun manufacturers have that problem, sorry.
Ruger has had an outstanding couple of years coming out with so many new products that I'm amazed there are not a lot more problems.....
But for me, not a single Ruger product that I own has had a problem due to the factory...(Now owner induced issues are another thing)

I'll be buying more Ruger guns this year :D

Lateck,

area338

Bearcat
I have an LC9 with over 400 rds through it with no problems. The only problem I have with it is the looooooooooong trigger but I am going to do the Galloway precision trigger upgrade whenever they get the parts back in stock. Any weapon can have a lemon every now and then even the sainted Glock.....oh no not the Glock!!!!!!! It can't be true. Alas...sadly..it is. Sorry yours was not up to Ruger's usual quality.

Viking Queen

Blackhawk
I have an LC9 - had it a little over a year, 1200 rounds so far, no problems what so ever. Zero, zip, nada. . . Same with my .38 spl LCR - 2300 rounds in 2 yrs, no problems, zero, zip, nada.

Not bad for a couple of "Plastic" guns that I would buy again, in a heart beat.

Viking Queen

SpringFever

Bearcat
I purchased a new LC9 in April and while sitting in my 10 day Calif. penalty waiting box, my dealer decided not to let me have the gun. 3 out of 6 he brought in had problems so he decided to return all 6 to Ruger. The factory guys likely screened the new pieces with much more scrutiny...hopefully. So I just picked up my new-new LC9 and have yet to fire it. I, too, figured to use this little flat 9mm for pocket carry when I qualify it for my CCL in about 7 weeks. My confidence level isn't real high right now and I am thinking my S&W Centennial in .38 +P may be a better pocket piece. What say you all?

I say speeding up the manufacture of concealed carry handguns to meet increased demand has damaged quality. My Custom Kimber .45 CDPII Pro had a left thumb safety disintegrate on the 101st round and this is a $1200+ custom shop beauty. If all my old S&W S/S .357's and .40's weren't so darn heavy, I'd carry them; they are as reliable as the sun setting. I can't justify the cost of the real customized semi-auto's from Brown, Wilson and such and wanting a lighter weight small carry piece with at least 9mm power, I am really hopeful I can gain more respect for this LC9. I'll keep you advised.

Rat1

Bearcat
As soon as my gun guy gets in some P938s then my LC9 is going in the cabinet to stay.

The sight thing is bother then hell out of me. Had to shave down the front sight and remove the roll pin so I could move it to the left some and I still have to have my rear sight hanging off the side of the slide for it to hit anywere near center.

I even tried shooting off a rest so the problem is not me.

Ruger should be ashamed of these things.

Too bad I can't get a stock trigger bar anywere anymore or I would be sending mine back to get the sight alignment fixed on it properly.

It is going to take a new slide at minimum to fix mine.

Why they drilled a hole through the slide and used a roll pin rather then a set screw to hold the front sight in place in beyond me.

MESSY

Bearcat
We put 110 or so rounds through my new LC9 today and it ran flawlessly. Blazer Brass, 124+p Gold Dots....didn't skip a beat. I do NOT hate the trigger, and find it to be an amazingly soft shooter given its reduction in size and weight compared to my 9c. I expected it to be snappy in comparison and it wasn't. My friend put down his SR1911, picked up the LC9 and tore the heart out of the target at 10 yards. First time he ever had his hands on one and directly after running the 1911. Needless to say he'll be buying one too. I bought it for hot weather IWB/pocket carry and the thing just disappears on my waist. It's just a better shorts/T shirt piece for me than my SR9c.

As a side note, I took it down this evening for a look over and quick cleaning. No issues with the front sight, but my rear was just a bit loose. Snugged the set screw and good to go. I did notice as others have mentioned both the front and rear sit just a hair to the right. It gave no issue that I could tell, and my SR9c sights are a hair to the right as well.

CET2012

Bearcat
After reading these posts I feel pretty lucky to have an LC9 from a "batch" that that works as well as it does. 700 rounds and counting. The only time it failed was after I dropped it in thick dust that nearly buried the gun.

I would trust my life to this 9mm.

DavidC77

Bearcat
Well I had nothing but bad luck with my brand new LC9 today.

I bought it about a week ago, today was the 1st chance to get to the range with it.

I fire the 1st round and it fails to eject the spent round, I rack the next round in and it fails to fire. This went on and on and on, it either would fail to seat the round, or it would fail to fire the round, or it would fire it and the case would get stuck on the barrel and not eject from the gun. It was almost like it was trying to refeed the shot round instead of ejecting it.
The other thing it was doing was failing to lock the slide back after the last round was fired.

I fired 100 rounds, out of those 100 rounds only 3 times did it fire the round, eject it and load the next round and allow that round to fire.

I hope I can return this paperweight to where I bought it, I think they are going to tell me to send it back to Ruger, but I hope not.

Even if I send it back to Ruger and it comes back I'm going to get rid of it.

I need a daily carry gun I can count on, this one won't even fire one round........

The trouble I'm in is I bought extra mags, holsters (yes holsterS), XS Sights, ext. for this gun. I think I can send this stuff back and exchange it for my new gun, yup I'm going to buy a S&W SHIELD.

The reason I bought the LC9 is this:

1. I liked the grip better
2. I liked how the Crimson Trace Mounted better
3. (This is the biggest reason) I can't buy the SHIELD in MASS yet.
4. I would need to do a trigger job on the SHIELD as we are getting the horable MASS 10Lb Trigger and I didn't need to do that to the LC9.

All those reasons why I liked the LC9 are nothing now because the thing is a piece of junk. If it doesn't go bang, it's no good to me..............

This really sucks as I didn't want to buy the SHIELD because I would need to do a 3rd trigger job ( I own a M&P 40 FS and a M&P 40 Compact) but I guess I have to know, AARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG............

mikee57

Bearcat
I have been having doubts on my LC9. I haven't had any problems as of yet. The only thing that as of now that bothers me is the way the extractor is sitting by not being flush. I have Googled the LC9 and there is a lot of bad stuff said. I really like the way it carries and the trigger isn't bad but, the more LC9 threads that appear with problems the more I start thinking.

Ridge1976

Single-Sixer
"DavidC77" Did you happen to clean your LC9 after you bought it and "Before" you took it to the range? Ruger packs alot of grease in there and it needs to be cleaned out real good. This can cause the problems you mentioned in your post.

area338

Bearcat
I have an LC9 and it performs it's job perfectly. I know that every pistol or for that matter firearm of any kind can malfunction and only because of the human factor. I have over 700 rounds through mine and it has been flawless. I just put a Crimson Trace laser on it and I love my little plastic pistol just like I do my metal ones. Sorry you got a bad one and i hope your next choice works well for you.

Buckeye!

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
badaim99 said:
The failures I've experienced with the LC9 do not have to do with the so called "plastic" structures, but with the metal ones.

Not saying they did, but it's the INTERACTION between plastic and metal or MIM metal that wears things. That's why pins fall out ... don't stay in place, and tolerances increase with usage. Not saying Ruger is the only one with these issues. Most plastic guns have the same issues. The only truly durable plastic guns that I've seen are Glocks, and although I have one (the G26) ... I don't like them at all. My P3AT is also solid, but I don't shoot it much.

I've seen M&P's, XD's, KelTecs, HiPoints, and Rugers fall apart at the range ... nothing serious .... just loose pins, loose screws, etc, etc. Never seen ONE issue of any kind with Glocks.

Guns weren't meant to be plastic ... :D

REV

I've put ALOT of rounds thru my P97 and P95..100's of them being +P ..no parts have broke or any noticeable wear....
The thin 9's are out for me right now....waiting on the thin single stack XD in 9mm, it may be a while...
the 9mm is a powerful round for some of these ultra light weight micro pistols....
just my 5 cents (used to be 2 cents ,but medi-care cuts have forced a price hike )

guidedfishing

Single-Sixer
Have a LC9, cleaned completely took a roll pin punch and removed firing pin to get crude and residue out. I qualify with it every three months, I fire it weekly and wipe the lint and crude away from the associated IWB carry. I have not had a problem, not saying I won't, use anything long enough and something will happen. I don't use it as a range gun and pound a couple hundred rounds weekly through it, its accurate but really not that much fun to shoot.

Now as for glock's I've seen enough fail on the range to know if you have not seen an issue with one you probably have not been around them that much. I am not busting on them just saying they are not any better or worse. For those that practice with them they are a functional piece of machinery. For those that have one because some said get a glock watch out.

Shoot straight and shoot often