Is the No. 1 going out of production?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rocdoc

Buckeye
$1200, but since we are both in TX must pay sales tax of 6.75%. Will do transfer FTF at DACA January show. I'm happy to get one, wonder if the 48 count is true? No idea but time and speculation will confuse us all.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I've always seen the 77 and the #1 as having the same basic problem. Both are more expensive than their competitors, which means they aren't going to score many sales among average hunters who see absolutely no reason to pay more than what the Remington 700 or Savage 110 costs. The wide variety of calibers, finishes, stocks, and other options puts the 77 and #1 in the category of a cheap semi-custom rifle. The problem is, they usually won't shoot well enough to please the crowd that buys such rifles, they expect sub-MOA out of the box. And why shouldn't they, when many rifles costing half as much often do?

So, both of these rifles are stuck between too expensive for Mr./Ms. Typical Hunter and won't shoot well enough for the rifle nerds. Given this quandary it is amazing they have stayed around as long as they have. Same for the 77/44. A Rossi 92 costing half as much will usually outshoot it and not have the wandering zero that has always haunted the 77/44.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Sad to see the #1 go. The timing I find puzzling though. Trump was elected and basically guns are totally safe right now from any stupid regulations. So the days of being able to sell any evil black rifle and high cap handgun they can possible produce are going to end pretty quick. The wow factor of cheap do all accurate as you could ever need for hunting bolt actions is wearing off.Ammo should become more available and prices should settle. If there was ever a time to cater to the niche market it is now. People can spend money on what they want not on what they are afraid will be banned. Don't have to spend less on guns so they can build their ammo stockpile. Sure the market for plastic, inexpensive and high capacity is always going to be huge. Just wish manufacturers would stop thinking it is the only market.

Clark

Bearcat
If you look at Ruger's quarterly reports they often include a line or two about what % of sales were due to new products. That number and the new mindset at Ruger is ultimately what killed off the #1 and quite frankly, could kill off any gun with a wood stock.

Clark

singleshot

Single-Sixer
I have been emailing Jason at Lipsey's about my order on the KRSI. I put my order in when they announced, but he said they don't know if Ruger will be making any more and my little hands are empty. My RSI collection may take a hit on this one :-(

Email from Jason;

Todd,

I don't have any available right now. Ruger has only made 50 of them and I'm not sure if they are going to make more at this time.

Thanks,

Jason Cloessner
Vice President & Product Development Manager

LIPSEY'S | AIM HIGHER ®

P.O. Box 83280 | Baton Rouge, LA 70884
[T] 800.666.1333 [O] 225.755.1333 [F] 225.367.1977 www.Lipseys.com

[email protected] | @LipseysGuns on Twitter | /LipseysGuns on Facebook

gtxmonte

Buckeye
mike7mm08 said:
Sad to see the #1 go. The timing I find puzzling though. Trump was elected and basically guns are totally safe right now from any stupid regulations. So the days of being able to sell any evil black rifle and high cap handgun they can possible produce are going to end pretty quick. The wow factor of cheap do all accurate as you could ever need for hunting bolt actions is wearing off.Ammo should become more available and prices should settle. If there was ever a time to cater to the niche market it is now. People can spend money on what they want not on what they are afraid will be banned. Don't have to spend less on guns so they can build their ammo stockpile. Sure the market for plastic, inexpensive and high capacity is always going to be huge. Just wish manufacturers would stop thinking it is the only market.
The Number 1 has NEVER sold well, even when the economy was booming, they have just been dragging it along for years. This comes as no surprise to anyone

While the black gun fad may slow some, the cheap and accurate likely never will. The No1 just doesn't fit anywhere

chet15

Hawkeye
Well...the #1 wasn't a dud in my opinion. It has sold over 380,000 units during its history which isn't too shabby for a single shot.
Ruger still sells the Blackhawk in .30 Carbine and that probably hasn't sold 90,000 units over almost the same time period.
Cost to manufacture is the biggest issue...the same thing that doomed the .44 Carbine.
I have always been of the opinion that if Ruger has the larger part of the market share for that type of firearm, why get rid of it?
When Ruger suspended production of the .41 Blackhawk and .30 Carbine in the late '80's or early '90's I asked them why do that when you have 100% of the market share?
Keep in mind that as of about November 28 Ruger still hadn't told Lipsey's they were shutting the #1 off.
Perhaps Ruger is tired of all the odds and ends that are still at the factory and they want to clean this stuff up before proceeding further?
Chet15

mohavesam

Hawkeye
chet15 said:
...Perhaps Ruger is tired of all the odds and ends that are still at the factory and they want to clean this stuff up before proceeding further?
Chet15

On the nose!
Ruger as a manufacturing company is changing its business model, I hope everyone understands that. Ten minutes of value-add (the seconds/minutes spent changing a "thing" to increase value to the customer and increase value to the company), is the goal for all products. Ten minutes value-add time to "Assemble-test-ship"; These are the products that will survive and get the plan dollars.
Thats not the answer the romantics desire so badly for the No. 1, but it is reality. The Shot Show offerings will tell the tale, I suspect the wood-stocked guns can be counted on one hand.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Exactly! Thing is, ppl will point the finger of blame at Ruger and not the ones not buying the products enough to support their continued production.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Why would people blame Ruger for dropping something that didn't sell well enough to continue it's existence? If people buy enough, production continues, that seems obvious, at least to me it does. The only blame I ever had for Ruger concerning these rifles, was that they never addressed problems nor made a single improvement. The rifle NEVER got better.

It was mentioned that around 380,000 were sold, which works out to a little under 8000 a year for the production run. You think "wow 8000 a year, that seems viable" and maybe it is. But I would imagine sales haven't approached 8000 a year in likely 10 years. Most of those sales were likely 20 years ago. I don't know any of this for a fact, but given the gun markets and how they have been, it's not a stretch to make those assumptions. So sales of a once mildy popular gun have dwindled to a trickle. Is there ANYTHING that would indicate a rifle of this type will come roaring back. No and sales never roared before, were just enough to keep it going.

chet15

Hawkeye
gtxmonte said:
Why would people blame Ruger for dropping something that didn't sell well enough to continue it's existence? If people buy enough, production continues, that seems obvious, at least to me it does. The only blame I ever had for Ruger concerning these rifles, was that they never addressed problems nor made a single improvement. The rifle NEVER got better.

It was mentioned that around 380,000 were sold, which works out to a little under 8000 a year for the production run. You think "wow 8000 a year, that seems viable" and maybe it is. But I would imagine sales haven't approached 8000 a year in likely 10 years. Most of those sales were likely 20 years ago. I don't know any of this for a fact, but given the gun markets and how they have been, it's not a stretch to make those assumptions. So sales of a once mildy popular gun have dwindled to a trickle. Is there ANYTHING that would indicate a rifle of this type will come roaring back. No and sales never roared before, were just enough to keep it going.

And they make what....maybe a few hundred .30 Blackhawks every year but continue to produce that gun? But Ruger also has 100% of the marketshare. Why give that to some other upstart company?
I don't look around at many other company's, so a question...when somebody wants a single-shot centerfire rifle, what companies are out there that makes a variety of different chamberings???
If Ruger doesn't have at least 90% of that market now, they should have.
Just the fact that Ruger does make a quality single-shot is probably another reason all other company's stay out.
I also think that having Lipsey's as the exclusive distributor helps the Number One sell a lot more. Ruger's sales (pre- Lipsey's exclusive) were what was really running dismal. Making it a distributor exclusive changed the sales dynamic for the #1...and in all reality, is probably the reason Ruger does continue to make them. Kudo's to Lipsey's in that regard!!
Chet15

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
You could always order a No 1 knock off (tongue in cheek) from Ballard Rifles in Cody WY.

They have versions that look a lot like you typical No 1 "African Express":http://www.ballardarms.com/african_express.shtml

Think a basic budget gun would go for about $2,150, now if you want anything fancy, the sky is the limit.

Really interesting website to go thru.

Ray Newman

Blackhawk
RE. Ballard. From recent threads on the American Single Shot Rifle Asso. web site, it appears that Ballard Rifles is no longer in business. Several posters commented that they attempted to contact Ballard about a rifle, parts, etc., and there was no response. Seems as if the owner(s) was trying to sell the company at one point in time.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Henry is coming out this year with a single shot that looks quite good though it is a break action as opposed to a falling block. It looks much nicer than the H&R of years past,

chet15

Hawkeye
mohavesam said:
Except for the 1885 Browning (and copies)... and Encores. ;)

I would be pretty sure the 1885 Browning doesn't sell 3000 to 5000 units a year. And I wonder if the Encore hasn't run its course as well.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
Big Old Boy said:
Henry is coming out this year with a single shot that looks quite good though it is a break action as opposed to a falling block. It looks much nicer than the H&R of years past,

It will be interesting to see then if the Henry will be able to handle the big boy cartridges that the Number 1 is produced in.
Chet15

Ray Newman

Blackhawk
RE. Henry single shot rifle. See below link.

Rifle in the video looks interesting, it will be available in .308 and .243 and "other calibres".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InJK8hlD_NY&feature=youtu.be&t=1242

Recent thread (last post 12/6/16) on the Henry single shot:
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/108-h-r-centerfire-rifles/272082-henry-break-barrel-singleshot.html