Ruger No. 1 in 257 Weatherby Magnum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stk-300

Bearcat
Does Ruger still make a Ruger No. 1 in 257 Weatherby Magnum?
Does anyone have one? How does it shoot?

stk-300

Bearcat
I check often. I see that gunsamerica had one a while back but it sold. I was thinking ofbpicking up a no. 1 and rebarreling it. Not sure if that would work.

Enigma

Hunter
My understanding is that Ruger now makes the #1 only periodically, and only in a few selected cartridges when they do make a production run. Your plan to rebarrel an existing rifle might be the easiest way to get one. Pick a base gun chambered for a magnum cartridge, so that the extractor is compatible with a belted magnum.

twerpymoon

Single-Sixer
Here is what mine will do.
20221211_131828.jpg

stk-300

Bearcat
My understanding is that Ruger now makes the #1 only periodically, and only in a few selected cartridges when they do make a production run. Your plan to rebarrel an existing rifle might be the easiest way to get one. Pick a base gun chambered for a magnum cartridge, so that the extractor is compatible with a belted magnum.
Yes that was my next question. Whether i would need a magnum receiver. I presumed it was the case similar to a magnum bolt face on a bolt action rifle but i was not certain.

Paul B

Hunter
Yes that was my next question. Whether i would need a magnum receiver. I presumed it was the case similar to a magnum bolt face on a bolt action rifle but i was not certain.
IIRC, they use the same receiver for all the cartridges they make for the Ruger #1. Ih have #1s chambered from .22 Hornet to .45-70 plus a .404 Jeffery and .416 Rigby in my collection and they all have the same size receiver.
Paul B.

Dave H

Bearcat
I have one. I've shot it a couple of times at 100 yds., but not for probably 7 or 8 years. I mounted a Leupold Vari-X3 (I think.) 4-14 on it. It wasn't a target rifle, but it was very respectable. I don't remember the details. I do remember that It shot a lot better than my Remington 700 in the same chambering. The bolt and extraction were stiff on the Remington with factory ammo.

gatling

Blackhawk
I have one. I've shot it a couple of times at 100 yds., but not for probably 7 or 8 years. I mounted a Leupold Vari-X3 (I think.) 4-14 on it. It wasn't a target rifle, but it was very respectable. I don't remember the details. I do remember that It shot a lot better than my Remington 700 in the same chambering. The bolt and extraction were stiff on the Remington with factory ammo.
I have one and it is accurate.

DSC_9750-900.jpg

Latest posts