Is the No. 1 going out of production?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Its all about demand for new No. 1 rifles. Everyone wants something else; "If they'd only make xxxx, I'd buy one"!! And buying used rifles doesn't keep employees busy.

The demise of the No. 1 has been discussed in detail over the past couple years here on the RF. Ford is not the only company to make an Edsel.

single action

Single-Sixer
In my humble opinion, they continued to work with Lipseys until they had utilized all the receivers and parts up, never a company to waste anything. Now they are gone and it is not worth it to tool those in a day as stated above where they are always trying to break the million gun record. I ordered a 6.5 on the closeout. should be here soon. Yes it is sad......IMHO Bob

rugerdczr

Blackhawk
I just received 4 in different calibers 7mm/08,275 rugby,6.5 and 338 fed all have pretty good wood and the 7mm has French walnut with really nice straight grain figure. So I just ordered 4 more

wunbe

Buckeye
The obits here to date appear to exclusively blame the customer base.

There is a lot more to the story and much of it falls in Ruger's lap.

When is the last time you saw an ad for NO 1? An effort to develop a new market segment? Particularly, one aimed at the younger hunters who by now have been saturated in the glitz of black rifle ownership? There also is room for a more affordable, A-weight model as inherently safer starter guns for women and kids to focus them on accurate shot placement VS slinging lead. When was the last innovation made in no 1 offerings? the SS models 20 years a go? The same goes for much needed specific improvements in the line. None, since introduction! Quality control especially re wood quality and fit has slipped steadily even as prices galloped out of reach.

IMO Ruger No 1s died from lack of interest in the corporate board room too.

wunbe

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Exactly............they had issues from day ONE that were never addressed. I always felt nobody at Ruger really cared anything about the Number 1 other than Bill himself

BlkHawk73

Hunter
An effort to develop a new market segment? Particularly, one aimed at the younger hunters who by now have been saturated in the glitz of black rifle ownership? There also is room for a more affordable, A-weight model as inherently safer starter guns for women and kids to focus them on accurate shot placement VS slinging lead.

How'd that work out for NEF and H&R? ;) They marketed, were very affordable yet didn't survive in the shadow of all that's semi-auto and "tactical" in the market. If elder shooters influenced the new folks instead of getting caught up in the modern stuff...

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Old or young, it's going to take a certain kind of person to want a falling block single shot rifle. As I said above......niche market and always has been. To me it has nothing to do with the semi-auto or tactical craze. Always been hard to sell the Number 1 as a hunting rifle over a good bolt action. It does NOTHING better than the bolt. You either like them or you don't, never been a matter of better. Guys come on here all the time and say "I always wanted one".........but why don't they have one? Because for the price, they aren't better. Just like me, I "want" an Original Henry, but that's a $2000 rifle that really serves no purpose other than I would like to have one some day.

I am 53 years old. My dad absolutely loved Number 1s........I don't. Even though I am all about pretty blue and nice wood, the rifle has never appealed to me. If we want to go strictly on aesthetics and how they LOOK, to me the B-78 Browning or the Wickliffe is a much "prettier" rifle than the Number 1. I have one of each of those, the 6 Number 1s I have left from my dads collection will be sold, just like the others were.

Boils down to appeal and the Number 1 or any single shot for that matter doesn't appeal to enough people to make it viable. At least not for a major arms company that concentrates on the bottom line and volume

single action

Single-Sixer
It is a niche gun, I love contenders and 1885 and number one, you talk to most experienced outdoors folks and say I have a number one, they look at you like huuuuhhhhh. When I went to Africa and broke out my 1885 in 45-70 the P.H. looked at it and said whats that? I showed him one of the rounds and he said "that will work". I have a dead blue wildebeest on the wall that demonstrated what it could do. I think if we own any of the aforementioned guns we are definitely not main stream and perhaps a aging and dying breed. off the soap box. Bob

5532JWK

Single-Sixer
I prefer the older red pad guns as the wood is so much nicer on the older guns and the fit of wood to metal is really bad on some of the newer guns. This is not only true on their number one rifles, but on their single actions as well. I bought several consecutive sets of the flat top 45 colt/acp from a distributor here on the forum and he had to send them back to be regripped before he even sent them to me because the metal to wood grip fit was so sloppy.

wunbe

Buckeye
Blkhwk73,

Yeah, NF and H&R marketed single shots but their offerings were crap -- ugly and clunky -- with zero style features, just screaming of cheap!

Look at what Ruger did in redesigning and selling their old bolt gun, standard rifle. Lighter, better triggered, free floated barreled, and cheaper offerings!

Yet they never even tried to adapt the No 1 from its original, flawed, design.

wunbe

ohiosam

Bearcat
It's been coming. How many guns have a 50 year run? Still sad that the day is finally here.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
I'm sure the new in box 'old' stock will be around for awhile, although these closeout prices will depress prices for new ones for a while.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I suspect the buying demographic won't change.
The guys who buy ANIB (As-New-In-Box) rifles will still buy that way; the guys who buy shooters will still buy shooters.
I don't think buyers will pay much more as in speculation. MSRP is already artificially high...

As always, sellers will set their own prices, but buyers will have the final say.

Dranrab

Single-Sixer
The build quality simply wasn't there of late. The ones I have seen in Cabelas weren't built by craftsmen. I always wanted one, but just couldn't stomach paying near custom gun prices for a novice level build.

RSIno1

Hunter
Rocdoc said:
I'm sure the new in box 'old' stock will be around for awhile, although these closeout prices will depress prices for new ones for a while.
Nope - Looked at a stainless 308, ads on gunbroker are $200 over retail citing collectable and the demise of the No1.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
RSIno1 said:
Rocdoc said:
Nope - Looked at a stainless 308, ads on gunbroker are $200 over retail citing collectable and the demise of the No1.

Some will try to run it up, think they will be in their stock for a while. My ffl offering a fair price on my much anticipated K1RS.

Single-Sixer
Just picked up a .35 whelen from Bud's for $868. I think that is going to look like a pretty good price a couple years from today. Actually, for a $1499 MSRP gun, that's a pretty good price now.

bigskyguy

Single-Sixer
Rocdoc said:
RSIno1 said:
Rocdoc said:

Some will try to run it up, think they will be in their stock for a while. My ffl offering a fair price on my much anticipated K1RS.

RocDoc,

I would be interested to know what that fair price was...?

I have an opportunity at one locally, but they want $1400 for it.

I'm not a huge RSI fan, and I really don't like the looks of the walnut/ss combo but I have a set of take off stocks in the grey laminate that might look pretty cool on it.

I saw a GunBroker ad claiming that there were only 48 of the 308 RSI made. Any truth to that, or just internet BS?

Thx,
Todd