I added a side folding stock to my 10/22 Takedown

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RJ556

Buckeye
The only thing I don't like about Butler Creeks folder is that retarded looking grip. I cut that damn thing off and mounted a SAW grip.
ru3.jpg

And that stupid looking butt pad they put on it. I changed that too.
ru2.jpg

I would love to see some more detailed images and instruction on how to do this. This mod with a barrel mounted scout style scope and a threaded end would be so freaking hot!!!!!

As soon as I can get one that is the direction I plan to go

sgtlmj

Bearcat
Stuck an AGP Arms folder on my TD today. Just a little filing to accommodate the locking block on the front and it's good to go. The AGP stock holds the rear of the receiver down just fine.

7331783516_2319e6e37b_b.jpg

7331785952_63627abf6b_b.jpg

7331786908_cf7627e5e4_b.jpg

LV2XLR8

Bearcat
Was inspired by your post because I can't stand the factory stock so I did tons of homework and came up with a stock that I thought might work. I chose the ATI folder due to the way the fore stock is skeletonized with a top cover and I wanted to keep the fore stock. Here's my results, I hope you like it.

IMG_9331.jpg

IMG_9332.jpg

IMG_9333.jpg

IMG_9334.jpg

scottginfla

Single-Sixer
Looks good,I like the ATI, just prefer it to fold to the right like the butler creek.

On that note I just picked up a factory ruger 10/22 with a factory installed ATI collapsable, side folder, even has the Ruger emblem on both sides of it near the rear., TALO part #1296

LV2XLR8

Bearcat
Getting the fore to fit was tricky. I did a ton of measuring from the bottom of the barrel to the bottom of the release block and transferred it all to the vertical ribs, then carefully dremmelled (sp?) them out and drilled the hole at the bottom for the screw mount just slightly back from where it would be to keep the two halves of the stock slightly apart. If they're right tight against each other it will not release to come apart. Other than that, I dremmelled a relief in the bottom for the release slide and it was good to go. The ribs in the fore stock are quite ridgid and hold to the barrel quite well when the screw on the bottom was tightened up.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Well, I finally managed to find a Ruger 10/22 takedown at my local shop a couple weeks ago and the barrel is off to a gunsmith to have it cut back to 16.5-inches, threaded 1/2x28, and to have the front sight remounted rear of my threads.

I picked up a Butler Creek folding stock as I do prefer the Butler Creek folding stock to others I have tried. I am anxious to get this built as it will make for a very compact pack/survival gun. I am holding off cutting the folding stock until I get the barrel back in case a better option comes out before then but for $100 or so for the Butler Creek stock it's not like I am spending a fortune on this project either and only the divot in the back of the receiver affects the original gun.

I love this mod and am considering it for my takedown -- but if I do it, it'll be after I live with it for a while as is. I find it packs away just fine with the standard stock, since the two pieces are not hugely different in length. Still, this is such a great mod.

There's a step-by-step video on one way to do this -- they cannibalized an existing folding stock.
Link here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ooa4Ua_GJA&feature=related

Samchoon

Bearcat
Can anyone that did an agp modification post some pictures of the work that you did to the stock to fit the 10/22 takedown? I got mine today and was looking for some help. Thank you.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
LV2XLR8 said:
Was inspired by your post because I can't stand the factory stock so I did tons of homework and came up with a stock that I thought might work. I chose the ATI folder due to the way the fore stock is skeletonized with a top cover and I wanted to keep the fore stock. Here's my results, I hope you like it.

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj553/tony7050/IMG_9331.jpg
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj553/tony7050/IMG_9332.jpg
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj553/tony7050/IMG_9333.jpg
http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj553/tony7050/IMG_9334.jpg

Can you show a picture of what you had to modify on the forend part of your stock? I bought an ATI stock and right now I have it on my Liberty Training rifle (Normal 10/22 carbine with Tech Sights and Match Trigger) to try the stock and I really love this stock. I had originally bought it for use with my 10/22 takedown however and my plan is to shoot my 10/22 carbine with this stock tomorrow and then evaluate if I want to buy a second of these stocks... one for my carbine and this one will finally get chopped for my 10/22 Takedown.

I already had my 10/22TD barrel cut down to 16.5-inches, threaded and had the front sight remounted after the threads. A foklding stock is next on my list and I agree with your choice in the ATI as it is one of the better 10/22 tactical style stocks out there. It's also a bit heavier then some other options however.

marklestrange

Bearcat
1st Post from me here in the UK ...Hi Guys :)

I'm very interested in seeing 'inside' shots of the ATI stock conversion with any additional hints/tips/instructions.

I'm in the UK and our laws regarding barrels mags and suppressors are, you guys in the US might be surprised to learn, a lot easier than it appears yours are. We are allowed a total minimum fixed gun length of 600 mm (2ft) with a min barrel length of 300 mm (1ft) So I intend to to fit this stock to a Ruger takedown and have the barrel cut and threaded. I need to measure the 'fixed' length (not including the folded part of the stock) exactly but it looks like my barrel length will be about 14 inches or even a bit less (I know you must have 16+) to give me a minimum length of 2ft assembled but with stock folded.

I will then fit that with a suppressor/moderator/silencer (whatever name you guys use).
On a .22 suppressors here are pretty standard equipment and are even encouraged to save the ears.
My idea is to have a 'pack' with no more than a 14 inch total length, which gives me room for quite a serious suppressor.
... does anyone have a recommendation? or any other way of quieting the action other than the stopper pin that I already intend to change from steel to one of those 'yellow' ones.

I'm also wondering if on the ATI stock it is possible to use the angled indented line as a cut line rather than cut it at 90 degrees.

m657

Buckeye
marklestrange:
welcome to the forum....

suppressor laws are under strict BATFE regulation here. Paperwork, $200 license (tax) fee; must be completed AND approved by federal authorities PRIOR to taking possession. Illegal to fabricate owner-built versions.

From what I've heard, there's a 6+ month waiting period before they get to your application.

Authorized dealer or licensed fabricator must hold your purchase pending issuance of license.

Felony charges enforced to scofflaws.