I added a side folding stock to my 10/22 Takedown

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DWood

Bearcat
scottginfla said:
A friend of mine saw it personally and said" where did you get the folding stock, mines next" , so will be doing another one Fri or Sat, there might be a shortage on stainless folding stocks now that the pics are out, hope not.

can you post photos of the modifications to the stock? OR send them to me and I will post them for you.

[email protected]

scottginfla

Single-Sixer
Mods to the stock are pretty much straight forward, you have to cut it off to lenght, notch the cut end for the "ear" on the end of the reciever.

Also, you need to support the rear of the reciever in the new stock, as it is a little different than the stock buttstock, what I did was drill a hole in the rear of the folding stock just above the folding mechanism, straight through toward the reciever, then tapped the reciever 8x32 and ran a hex head bolt in, counter sunk in the stock. the bolt hole in the reciever is right behind the bolt /buffer pin. Don't use a stainless bolt, as stainless and aluminum don't work well together, also, you need to level the reciever in the new stock before you drill, not a big deal, just eyeball it after you put the factory bolt back in the front and snug it down, you will see what I mean about rear support at this point as the reciever will move up/down in the stock just a little bit.

I guess you could try and epoxy something into the foldinfg stock to support the rear of the reciever, or even use the bolt buffer pin and go all the way through the stock for rear suppport (longer pin), none of those ways would be wrong, just depends on what you want to do

I do not think the epoxy would hold up
I did not like the idea of a pin all the way through the stock and reciever
Could also do a bolt on the side, whatever you like.

Make no mistake, you have to do something on the rear of the reciever as the folding stock does not have the same notch to catch the rear of the reciever between the trigger group and reciever. It was made to be held in two places, the stock screw in the bottom of the reciever, and the barrel band clamp, well when you cut the stock off there is no barrel band clamp to be used with the folding stock, so extra support for the reciever is needed.
Don't be scared to drill and tap a small hole in your reciever,(provided the correct placement of the hole as not to interfear with anything) its aluminum and does not cause any problems or damage.

I will take some pics and send them to someone to post here for me.

DWood

Bearcat
Thanks. Here are the photos:

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

Corbin

Bearcat
Pretty sweet.

Can the barrel be free floated and the band removed, or would the barrel just be loose then?

sgtlmj

Bearcat
AGP Arms told me that they were going to modify their folder for the Takedown in the near future.

http://www.agparms.com/agp-arms-10-22-side-folding-stock/

sgtlmj

Bearcat
Corbin said:
Pretty sweet.

Can the barrel be free floated and the band removed, or would the barrel just be loose then?

Not possible. The locking mechanism is bolted to the barrel, and the forend is bolted to that.

DemskeetSkeet

Bearcat
I love the mod but I can't do that here unless I register it as a pistol.

Here in Michigan if a rifle has a folding stock it has to be registered a pistol. I'm not even sure I can take a rifle and then register it as a pistol....

Corbin

Bearcat
DemskeetSkeet said:
I'm not even sure I can take a rifle and then register it as a pistol....

Yeah, you can. I've done it. Allows you to keep a loaded "MI pistol" in your vehicle.

JohnFLand

Bearcat
Look here for an adjustable stock TD conversion:

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-10-22-rimfire/52719-franken-stock-10-22-take-down.html

djw54

Single-Sixer
DemskeetSkeet said:
I love the mod but I can't do that here unless I register it as a pistol.

Here in Michigan if a rifle has a folding stock it has to be registered a pistol. I'm not even sure I can take a rifle and then register it as a pistol....

Isn't that only if it has an overall length less than 30"?

Echo2

Bearcat
I was sent a link to this thread....and loved the idea. So after a cruise through ebay for a stock....

7270045504_2401fefc5e_b.jpg

I did mod a scout rail to fit.

Did you have an issue with the rear of the receiver wanting to lift? I think I have a solution...but haven't done it yet.

Latest posts