Help needed for insurance value of OM Blackhawk Ser 5000 "S"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

goodrich289

Single-Sixer
Folks,

I need some help... I am trying to update my Insurance rider that covers my gun collection after some recent new additions.

The one I am stuck on is the OM Blackhawk, 4 5/8" BBL. Ser # 5000 that turned out to be a factory second "S" gun but the previous owner buffed off all the guns bluing. ( picture enclosed)

I have NO clue as to what its Insurance value would be if it was lost, stolen or destroyed. My Insurance company won't let me set the "value" for obvious reasons..... When I told them of the Forum, they asked I get the expert opinion of 3 to 4 OM blackhawk collectors, print out thier responces and submitt that to the company.

What do you folks think????.... for those of you that would like to offer your opinion but DO NOT want to be directly quoted, you can PM me or reply here but tell me not to print out your reply.

Any / all help would greatly appreciated as I am out of my element on this one.

Thanks,
Bob
blackhawk1.jpg

radicalrod

Hunter
Man that thing sure is HOMELY......the only thing it has going for it is that small s :lol: :lol: :lol:

The condition certainly makes the value very subjective.....most people wouldn't look at it twice if it was on a gun show table......but it still is what it is....a rather rare example....I will wait for a real expert to give you a valuation :!: :!: :!: good luck....RR.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
$3K. Why? SN, "S", and POSSIBILITIES..........Would be higher if it did not have to be refinished/reblued(Which I think still should occur) All of the preceding are my JMO's, from minus 2 degrees and dropping, here in the NNW.(Was minus 22 at 8 AM this morn........... :shock: 8)

I agree with 'Splitz', that "S" is the 'key' thing here, RARE gun, but yes the "condition" and lack of proper grips , to me, puts it closer to the $2500 range, BUT you can always come down....it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and at auction, a "feeding frenzy", yes, the sky is the limit, and what would it cost to "replace it" ?? ha, MORE than the $3K.........where you gonna find one??
sad looking really, proper grips and the "best" in a proper "restoration, and wow............and it stopped snowing here after about 12-14 inches.........good luck Bob

contender

Ruger Guru
The rariety of such an "S" gun as this makes it desirable even in it's current condition. If I were to place an insurance value on it,, I'd put it at the $3000 mark myself. Why? VERY few are out there,, and when they sell, they are not cheap.

goodrich289

Single-Sixer
Well, So far the group has said $2,500 to $4,000.....middle of the road is $3,250.

And sorry about the picture, it was the first one I took after getting back from the range to test fire the gun and it still had the pakmeyers on it... Now it has the proper Black Eagle hard rubbers.

bob