Trade help needed New Pic added

Help Support Ruger Forum:

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
Okay I know we are all Ruge nuts here and trading anything for another Ruger is almost not questioned but I have one on a gun I don't k ow much about. I have a friend that wants to trade me a New Model Vquero in 44spl for either a Glock 17 or 19. I know you can get the Glocks everyday and not the Vaquero but I just don't know about the 44spl it would be my only firearm in that chambering that's what I am not sure about. What do you guys think this guns value is? I included a pic of it he let me bring it home to look it over. Thanks for the help

Attachments

• IMG_1045.jpeg
    IMG_1045.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 90

hittman

Staff member
How much money you giving him along with the Glock?
I think the Vaquero's MSRP is in the $1,000 range now. Not sure they're in production now in 44 Special unless its a Lipsey's.

I don't know how much those revolvers bring but know I don't need to add another caliber and I'm not much of a single action guy.

Now, if he had a Redhawk or Security Six to trade ….. hmmm…..

contender

Ruger Guru
DO THE TRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even if you don't currently have a .44 Spl, you may be quite surprised once you try it.

Skeeter Skelton used to use one heavily,, with a cast bullet, about 240 grns, and 7.5 grns of Unique. With that load & caliber combo,, you'll be VERY surprised at the ease of shooting, often the superb accuracy, and the downrange "Ummph" that has good authority.
I carried a Blackhawk in .44 Spl like that as a back-up handgun on an elk hunt. Never felt undergunned either.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I've pointed out on here before that the .44 Special New Vaquero is kind of a sleeper and you should buy all you can find. They didn't seem to make anywhere near as many as they made .44 Special flattop Blackhawks and yet you quite often will find them priced about equally. They are starting to get some attention and have been creeping up in price.

Paul B

Hunter
I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. Why? I don't like Glocks and I dearly love the .44 Spl. Someone mentioned Skeeter Skelton's load of 7.5 gr. Unique and 240 gr. Cast bullet. That's all I shoot in an S&W 624 and in my 629 .44 magnum. It didn't hold up well under Elmer's 22.0 gr. 2300 and 240 gr. bullet FWIW. Had to send it back to S&W twice before relgating it to the lighter loads. I shoot Elmer's load in my several Rugers chambered to the magnum. I wouldn't mind getting hold of aflat top or vaquero in .44 Spl. Did I say I dearly love the cartridge?
Paul B.

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. Why? I don't like Glocks and I dearly love the .44 Spl. Someone mentioned Skeeter Skelton's load of 7.5 gr. Unique and 240 gr. Cast bullet. That's all I shoot in an S&W 624 and in my 629 .44 magnum. It didn't hold up well under Elmer's 22.0 gr. 2300 and 240 gr. bullet FWIW. Had to send it back to S&W twice before relgating it to the lighter loads. I shoot Elmer's load in my several Rugers chambered to the magnum. I wouldn't mind getting hold of aflat top or vaquero in .44 Spl. Did I say I dearly love the cartridge?
Paul B.
Trade is done thanks for the encouraging words. I look forward to have some fun with my new toy

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
You answered your own question, I"d do it in a heartbeat, but that is MY 'likes", any Ruger/Colt six shooter, over any Glock............YOUR choice.......:unsure:;)
Yeah as as I realized the 44spl is kind of rare offering I knew the deal was going to be done I just had to get over the hump

contender

Ruger Guru
"In practical application any Glock is worth 100 Vaqueros."

Maybe for many shooters,, but there are plenty of us that politely disagree. Something about a big bore, and their boom, with the following authority of delivering serious knockdown,, makes a lot of things end quickly.
They may not carry as many rounds,, but are darn near infallible. No slide, no safety button or lever in the trigger, no magazine, no magazine release,, just dependable in more situations.
Plus the Glocks aren't made in serious big bore calibers that speak with authority.

And before you defend the wonder 9's & the high capacity,, I'm not saying the Glocks do not have their place. But if I'm being serious,, and want the comfort of a good gun to trust my life in,, I'll take a good revolver over any semi-auto any day.
(PS; My mother was attacked & robbed. She was pepper sprayed, and couldn't see, as she was fighting with the thug. She couldn't get her semi-auto into use,, because of too many things to make it function. Once she recovered,, she retired the semi-auto, and went to a revolver.)

PLEASE take my response as being a POLITE disagreement in what I'd choose.

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
DO THE TRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even if you don't currently have a .44 Spl, you may be quite surprised once you try it.

Skeeter Skelton used to use one heavily,, with a cast bullet, about 240 grns, and 7.5 grns of Unique. With that load & caliber combo,, you'll be VERY surprised at the ease of shooting, often the superb accuracy, and the downrange "Ummph" that has good authority.
I carried a Blackhawk in .44 Spl like that as a back-up handgun on an elk hunt. Never felt undergunned either.
Thanks for the help, the trade has been done she is in my safe for now. I might have to dress her up a little bit though I really don't like those grips that much

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
I actually did decent in this trade. I was able to keep my Glock that I liked and traded another gun that I was going to part with anyway for the Glock needed to trade my friend for the Vaquero so it was like a double win for me. Thanks for the help and sorry about your Mothers experience it has to be very traumatic for her

Latest posts