For the Deerstalker & .44 Carbine fans

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I got this ammo a year or two ago and set it on the shelf and forgot about it. Thought I'd share. Not sure how common the Rifle/Carbine loads were, but I had never noticed boxes marked that way until I saw these:

Deerstalker-44-Ammo-0.jpg~original

The price is a clue to age. $4.45 for 20 and $8.30 for 50.

Deerstalker-44-Ammo-1.jpg~original

Drug store tag may also be a tip off to a simpler time. Maybe CVS will use their old cigarette display space to open an ammo counter...

Justice B. Swift

Single-Sixer
This is very cool. I have had a .44 carbine in the family for years and have never seen this before. Knowing Norma they likely made the load specially for rifle length tubes (not so sure about Remington) and likely used powder specifically for the purpose. Thanks for posting these photos - very cool.
-Just B.S.-

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
That/These are partial reason that so many original 44 mag Flattops got put onto the shelf or into the back of the owner's underwear drawer. That rifle annotated ammo tore up many an index and middle finger............ 8)

I have a similar Norma box but does not say special carbine load on the end flap but has the special carbine load on the side as yours does however it is blacked out by the factory

Mine has the 240 gr Power Cavity tip vs your 236 gr hollow point

Mine reads "gives excellent performance out of revolvers & carbines"

Mine is 1675 feet/sec from an 18 1/2 barrel thus even slower than yours

Stonewall

Bearcat
Swanton Drugs

I still have a box of 7mm Speer Grand slams with the same price tag.

It was a small drug store with a area for display of Weatherby etc. fine arms .
I remember a .224 with an amazing Claro stock with five colours swirling .

I saw my first Weatherby .240 unprimed case here in 1969 - RWS I believe .

They sold a LOT of expensive guns at Swanton Drugs.

Glenn

G2

Hunter
golferboy426 said:
I have a similar Norma box but does not say special carbine load on the end flap but has the special carbine load on the side as yours does however it is blacked out by the factory

Mine has the 240 gr Power Cavity tip vs your 236 gr hollow point

Mine reads "gives excellent performance out of revolvers & carbines"

Mine is 1675 feet/sec from an 18 1/2 barrel thus even slower than yours

Yep this stuff, and it is stiff. That price is from the 90's
P1010002-7.jpg

Neat stuff WMG :wink:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I never went to Swanton Drugs but I remember going to another gun shop way up near the Canadian border a dozen years ago searching for Rugers. They had two .44 flattops with 7.5" barrels (BKH47), both of which well used, one worse than the other. I wanted the better of the two and made an offer below the price on the tag. Turned out they were consignment guns from a pharmacist in Swanton who used to sell guns and collect Rugers. They had to call him to get the OK to take my offer and it worked out; I walked out with a very decent 90% grade shooter, which I still own. It now makes sense that that pharmacist may have been from the old Swanton Drugs. The other flattop was about 70% and had plastic grips and a regulated front sight. If not for the modified sight, I would have tried to get them both.

As for this ammo, there are only 10 rounds of the original stuff left inside, plus one extra flat nose which also has a Norma headstamp:

Deerstalker-44-Ammo-3.jpg~original

Stonewall

Bearcat
Swanton Drugs had all the best interesting stuff.
There was a custom Sako .222 mannlicher that I still remember on the rack .
And the .224 Weatherby # 2 contour barrel with a five colour swirling Claro stock - words fail me on that one.
It was a small pharmacy with guns -ammunition -books even ski doos in a separate section to one side.
In those days everyone in the area went trap shooting , hunting etc all the time .
You don't want to know what shot cost those days !

Thank you for the additional information weaselmeatgravy .

Glenn