Figured it was time for a PCC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

instructor

Single-Sixer
I purchased the Ruger when they were first announced and glad I did. Also fan of Glocks and have numerous magazines which fit just fine as well. I know Ruger offers versions of the carbine that have hand guards that resemble those on the various AR rifles, but the fact that this basic Ruger PC 9 represents a more modern "sporting rifle" appearance rather than a military appearing firearm is a plus in today's political world we all live in. Have put some 600 + rounds though mine and no failures whatsoever to date and it is quite accurate at the 50-yard line target. Some complain about the weight or the trigger, etc., etc., but find the carbine much to my liking as it is from the factory.

unodemo

Bearcat
I started with the S2K, figured out what I want, and built an AR-9. I watched an S2K operated in a multi-gun competition and it was just awful.

Here's the multiple choice problem for AR-9 pattern builds

Plan A. Glock anything
- Glock compatible lower or an AR-pattern lower with a Glock compatible magwell insert.
- Glock mags
- Glock cut BCG
It will not last round hold open and your Manual of Arms will be different. Plan A will last round hold open and the keep the 5.56 Manual of Arms about the same.
You will need to tune the buffer weight/BCG to 22 ounces.
I don't Glock and didn't go this route. And what the_leper_colony wrote already.

Plan B. For Colt-pattern 9mm AR and if you're in the mood for built it yourself.
- An AR upper. A door kit works. The FA isn't needed.
- AR-9 barrel
- Handguard of your choice
- FM 9mm AR BCG
- Charging handle of your choice
- Some sort of muzzle device to cover the threads. I drilled out an A2 flash hider to 0.375".

- A regular AR pattern lower with the usual parts
- The standard buffer spring and extension tube
- KAK 9mm AR Configurable Buffer Kit. The combined weight of the buffer weight and BCG need to be ~22 ounces.
- A good drop-in trigger. The Ni plated mil-spec trigger I started with began burst firing. I switched to the Rise LE-145 and didn't look back.
- Magpul PMAG MOE 5.56 30 round mags
- Mean Arms EndoMag 9mm PMAG conversion kit
Plan B will last round hold open and the keep the 5.56 Manual of Arms about the same. Organizing 5.56 and 9mm PMAGS is the challenging part. They look the same because the mag housing is the same. I put bands on the AR-9 and its PMAGs to help me keep things straight. Going to a multi-gun event now with both a 5.56 and 9mm firearms requires extra attention to detail. But, I can run the same 124gr 9mm ammo in the AR-9 and 9mm pistol.

I went with Plan B so I can pick up any of my AR-9/15/300's and it operates very much like 'thu standard AR-15'. I even have an AR-12 and it's only difference is the charging handle is on the bolt.

The Plan B AR-9 I built runs through ammo like it's TEOTWAWKI.

Last edited:

NikA

Buckeye
@unodemo, FWIW I have both Glock compatible lowers and a Glock magwell insert that have LRBHOs that work fine. I think the market for Colt-pattern AR9 accessories is not what it once was, as I could not find a magwell insert for that pattern that did not look cheap.

I didn't Glock either until I was convinced the AR PCCs would work. Then I looked at police surplus Glocks and they were too cheap not to have a common feed platform set.

NikA

Buckeye
@NikA, Thanks for the first hand information. I edited my original comment about the LRBHO.
Incidentally, Stern Defense now has a magwell adapter with LRBHO for M&P mags. I believe I saw elsewhere that you were running an M&P pistol as a companion to your AR9. I had very good results with their hardware but went a dedicated lower route eventually.

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
I've wanted one of the new Ruger 9mm carbines for a while.
This one came my way at a local gun show this Fall new in box for a good price. I added a couple goodies after.
Shoots great, I am a happy camper.

Ruger PC Carbine resized.jpg

I bought a Ruger PPC. It is very well made, easy to use and accurate and use my Glock mags. But it is as large and heavy as my AR 15. If I'm carry a long gun that large and heavy it will be the AR in 5.56, not 9mm. So I sold the Ruger and bought a Sub2000 MSeries which has all the MCarbo internal and external aftermarket goodies. I've found the Sub2000 MSeries to be exactly what I was looking for. However it is expensive but it is what I wanted. No regrets. You can buy the standard Sub2000 now for $250 and pick the MCarbo parts you want either all at once or over time and build the Sub2000 to your taste. I'm not saying the Sub2000 as modified is better or worse than the Ruger. It met my needs/wants and the Ruger PCC did not. BTW you can buy an improved rear sight for the Sub2000 from MCarbo. I have the improved sight and the foulding mount for a Dot.

I am pleased folks are discovering pistol cartridge carbines, whatever the flavor.
I've got guns of all sizes and types, including AR's. But for whatever reason, I purely enjoy shooting my PCC's.

Specifically, I have the original Ruger PC4 as well as their more recent PCC .

Also interesting, is that 20+ years ago, when Ruger first offered the PC9 and PC4, they didn't sell, and that lineup was discontinued.

In my eyes, or at least partially, the failure 25 years ago was poor marketing to the civilian sector. Ruger hoped the LE circles would purchase these to match up with their pistols shooting the same round. Well, the LE market didn't accept the Ruger pistols, so the corresponding carbine was also not accepted. And gun stores... they figured this market was a flop, so they wouldn't stock them. Ruger couldn't sell what gun dealers refused to stock. So that prophesy spelled the demised of the PC firearms at that time.

And now we know, PCC's are fun to shoot, they are easy to shoot, they are relatively easier on the ears, they remain much cleaner, and ammo is cheap. They are inexpensive, at least the Ruger variant is. Add to that they are pleasantly accurate within their expected range of use. We have a winner for the folks that aren't prejudiced against such a firearm.

One of the perks of a PCC is potential mag compatibility with a pistol. The biggest benefit of Glock mags is that they're available, reliable and cheap!!! If I can come up with a load that my Dagger likes as much as my Sub 2k which so far seems to like everything it will be the perfect companion setup. A mag in grip takedown wouldn't have to be any bigger than the sub2K folded and the optics could stay mounted. That's why I keep looking at the LCC as their PCC of the future. A light, compact carbine that would be as compact taken down as the sub2K but better in almost every way.

Subbie guy here too. Mine is S&W. TheRuger though from I've heard is a really nice gun. Try this: Ruger price minus Subbie price the difference is divided by the cost of a box of 9mm.

I've been tossing around the idea of a 9mm carbine for a few years. A compact long gun that punches like a 357 Magnum pistol, has light recoil, uses one of the most readily-available cartridges (and components for those of us who handload), and reloads quickly & easily seemed like a handy thing to have around. A collapsible, folding, or takedown design would make it even more utilitarian.

I pondered an AR-platform, since it is fairly ubiquitous and easy to find parts and accessories for, but the prices were far more than I wanted to pay for one that has good sights, furniture, and trigger, and that shoots good groups.

I looked at the Kel-Tec SUB2000 series. Didn't like the charging arrangement, and it was awkward for me to get on the sights. Price was nice, though, especially with the current $100 rebate.

Hi-Point is always a solid low-buck choice. Their carbines are decently accurate and reliable. But they have pretty crunchy/mushy triggers, and use a low-capacity proprietary magazine which left me feeling "meh". Additionally, they don't point well for me.

The new Smith & Wesson FPC? Didn;t even bother looking. I will never buy a new S&W again after all the issues I've had with my wife's M&P 15-22. Shoddy build quality and some of the worst customer service I've ever encountered.

So during the course of handling a few of these, the guy behind the counter suggested the Ruger PCC. I don't particularly care for the looks of the PCC, but said, "What the heck." Heavy, but comes to shoulder like it was made for me, with the sight right where I am looking. Hmm. Takedown design with the sights on the barrel so no worries about shifting POI when reassembled. Nice. I understood the trigger group is based on the 10/22, but brother was it better than any stock 10/22 I've handled that was built in the last 30 years. Takes Glock mags? Magpul here in Wyoming sells quality US-made mags for those things for a very good price. Okay. Do a little interwebz sleuthing and discover the PCC is more than accurate enough and most folks who have them really like them, even those who have other higher-$ pistol caliber carbines.

So I ordered a discounted model (suspect it is simply a distributor exclusive that is discontinued) and should have it by the weekend. Got a ten-pack of Block errr...Glock mags on the way as well. Looking forward to sitting down and getting familiar with it. I'll post up a range report for those who are interested.
View attachment 29216
Love the Digital Camo stock, wish I had purchased that flavor. I have the standard one like yours but in black. I was playing around with red dot vs 3x prism scope on mine but had decided to try the red dot next. I was having some vision issues but have new range glasses and no longer have issues with red dot so giving that a try. I also did just get a FDE magpul stock setup on mine and will see if I like it better than the original stock. For a while I was checking around to see if anyone had an empty Digital Camo stock up for sale but no joy.

I like mine a lot and want to get it out more, also have read that you have to replace this and that around 1000rnds but I'm going to just keep using mine as is and if something breaks I'll replace it then.

Going with the red dot the way I have it mounted I can now use the stock sights too, those are pretty fun and accurate too and an optic almost overkill at ranges of these but again will be trying the Romeo5 Red Dot next time out.

Love the Digital Camo stock, wish I had purchased that flavor. I have the standard one like yours but in black. I was playing around with red dot vs 3x prism scope on mine but had decided to try the red dot next. I was having some vision issues but have new range glasses and no longer have issues with red dot so giving that a try. I also did just get a FDE magpul stock setup on mine and will see if I like it better than the original stock. For a while I was checking around to see if anyone had an empty Digital Camo stock up for sale but no joy.

I like mine a lot and want to get it out more, also have read that you have to replace this and that around 1000rnds but I'm going to just keep using mine as is and if something breaks I'll replace it then.

Going with the red dot the way I have it mounted I can now use the stock sights too, those are pretty fun and accurate too and an optic almost overkill at ranges of these but again will be trying the Romeo5 Red Dot next time out.
A little masking tape and Krylon can make it anything you want! Not to mention hydrodip and vinyl are available in hundreds of options.

Last edited:
A little masking tape and Krylon can make it anything you want! Not to mention hydrodip and vinyl are available in hundreds of options.
I hear you, I'm just not so good with applying paint so to satisfy my desire for a little more flair went with the FDE magpul. The contrasting FDE stock against black receiver and barrel have me satisfied me for now, hoping I like the form/feel when I get it out next. Plans were day off tomorrow and range but not happening, work is a killer and no four day weekend. At least I have some vacation planned after xmas!