Figured it was time for a PCC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I've been tossing around the idea of a 9mm carbine for a few years. A compact long gun that punches like a 357 Magnum pistol, has light recoil, uses one of the most readily-available cartridges (and components for those of us who handload), and reloads quickly & easily seemed like a handy thing to have around. A collapsible, folding, or takedown design would make it even more utilitarian.

I pondered an AR-platform, since it is fairly ubiquitous and easy to find parts and accessories for, but the prices were far more than I wanted to pay for one that has good sights, furniture, and trigger, and that shoots good groups.

I looked at the Kel-Tec SUB2000 series. Didn't like the charging arrangement, and it was awkward for me to get on the sights. Price was nice, though, especially with the current $100 rebate.

Hi-Point is always a solid low-buck choice. Their carbines are decently accurate and reliable. But they have pretty crunchy/mushy triggers, and use a low-capacity proprietary magazine which left me feeling "meh". Additionally, they don't point well for me.

The new Smith & Wesson FPC? Didn;t even bother looking. I will never buy a new S&W again after all the issues I've had with my wife's M&P 15-22. Shoddy build quality and some of the worst customer service I've ever encountered.

So during the course of handling a few of these, the guy behind the counter suggested the Ruger PCC. I don't particularly care for the looks of the PCC, but said, "What the heck." Heavy, but comes to shoulder like it was made for me, with the sight right where I am looking. Hmm. Takedown design with the sights on the barrel so no worries about shifting POI when reassembled. Nice. I understood the trigger group is based on the 10/22, but brother was it better than any stock 10/22 I've handled that was built in the last 30 years. Takes Glock mags? Magpul here in Wyoming sells quality US-made mags for those things for a very good price. Okay. Do a little interwebz sleuthing and discover the PCC is more than accurate enough and most folks who have them really like them, even those who have other higher-$ pistol caliber carbines.

So I ordered a discounted model (suspect it is simply a distributor exclusive that is discontinued) and should have it by the weekend. Got a ten-pack of Block errr...Glock mags on the way as well. Looking forward to sitting down and getting familiar with it. I'll post up a range report for those who are interested.
ruger-pc-carbine-9mm-luger-1612in-digital-camoblack-semi-automatic-modern-sporting-rifle-171-r...jpg

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I looked at the Kel-Tec SUB2000 series. Didn't like the charging arrangement, and it was awkward for me to get on the sights. Price was nice, though, especially with the current $100 rebate.
The sights are similar to an AR so they're fine for me. The KelTech is the most accurate of them all and it's the only one that folds in half. Plus it uses 32-round Glock mags too. I know this is a Ruger Forum but I like my choice.

"I pondered an AR-platform, since it is fairly ubiquitous and easy to find parts and accessories for, but the prices were far more than I wanted to pay for one that has good sights, furniture, and trigger, and that shoots good groups."
??? And the Ruger was cheaper?

Think you will enjoy your choice. Mine shoots everything good, but really shines with 147 grain loads.

I've taken quite a few guys and gals shooting, most of them first time shooters. I usually took a variety of handguns and my Pc9. I have a laser/light combo on it, and all of them loved shooting it, Next to no recoil and accurate.

Looks great, happy shooting
I wish they'd make one in Sig 357 or .357 magnum I'd jump on one pretty quick
357sig runs about 2,300fps out of a 16" barrel with 68gr Lehigh's! I can't believe the caliber hasn't caught on more. Reloading is stupid cheap and easy. Resized 40 brass actually works better than actual 357 brass and 9mm bullets. Far more effective than the 5.7 except with the magic forbidden bullets.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
"I pondered an AR-platform, since it is fairly ubiquitous and easy to find parts and accessories for, but the prices were far more than I wanted to pay for one that has good sights, furniture, and trigger, and that shoots good groups."
??? And the Ruger was cheaper?
The AR I liked was over twice the price of the PCC I ordered. Over 700 bucks difference...that's a lot of mags, powder, primers, and bullets. 😉

noahmercy

Blackhawk
The sights are similar to an AR so they're fine for me. The KelTech is the most accurate of them all and it's the only one that folds in half. Plus it uses 32-round Glock mags too. I know this is a Ruger Forum but I like my choice.
I certainly wasn't bashing the KT. The sights themselves are fine, I just had to spend some time moving my head around to get lined up on them, as the gun didn't point naturally for me and the stock design makes it hard for me to establish a repeatable cheek weld. I was actually hoping it would be exactly what I wanted, because I enjoy my P17 so much, and Kel-Tec is building a new manufacturing facility here in Wyoming.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
I had no idea the Ruger looked so much like a 1022. I cannot get past the AR sized mag well, though.\
I am waiting patiently for some company to offer one in 7.62x25. I am not holding my breath.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
You can assemble an AR-9 in under an hour for less than $500. IDK why they are so costly when someone else does the work?
I've shot several budget build AR-9s, and none of them were accurate enough for my taste, and I hated the furniture on them. Also, the ones that used Glock mags didn't lock open after the last round was fired...I'm assuming they were designed that way, since both guns behaved the same (a carbine and pistol). Quite frankly, I prefer a left-hand side charging setup like the Ruger over the AR charging handle. So like I said, to get an AR with the features I like is not an inexpensive proposition.

All personal preference, and no one is wrong for liking one firearm over another...except those who like H&K pistols. (Somethin' wrong with those people! 😉)

9x19

Hunter
No argument on personal preference, but just for information: Foxtrot Mike's Products offers all that you mentioned in a 9mm AR. Last round hold open (best design IMO), left side charging, and quite reasonably priced.

Mine were accurate too, but along with the three Ruger PCC 9s, they have all moved on... just don't have time for all of them.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
No argument on personal preference, but just for information: Foxtrot Mike's Products offers all that you mentioned in a 9mm AR. Last round hold open (best design IMO), left side charging, and quite reasonably priced.

Mine were accurate too, but along with the three Ruger PCC 9s, they have all moved on... just don't have time for all of them.
Very nice, but I'd still be 300 bucks over the cost of the PCC by the time I added iron sights and a buttstock I didn't hate. Being on SSD means not a lot of "fun money", and I already eat Ramen seven meals a week so I can afford the firearms I have now. 😆

FWIW, I'm not sure I would recommend a Glock mag 9mm AR build to anyone, unless (1) they were an experienced builder, or (2) they purchased all of the parts from a single manufacturer. There's no real 'standard' for Glock mag-compatible ARs, and I've seen some parts in certain combinations that can produce potentially hazardous situations. That's something that I think is less likely with Colt-pattern 9mm ARs (or even the 'now defunct' Olympic-pattern 9mm ARs). And I have absolutely nothing against 9mm ARs (9mm is actually my favorite AR chambering)!

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

Latest posts