Choosing barrel length in a revolver.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ruggedruger

Single-Sixer
Learning lots here, and thanks for all your help!
-------------

I've got another thread out here regarding choosing b/w a number of different calibers in the 44mag-45 Colt range, but wanted to ask this question separately.

What should one consider when selecting a revolver (of any caliber I guess) when it comes to barrel length?

I would guess these things to be important:

- Holstering (and UNholstering/drawing the gun) for both speed and safety
- Comfort (perhaps easier to carry with a shorter holster)
- Concealment

But how about:

Recoil
Aim
Bullet speed
Distance shooting

It seems that I've read something about longer barrels in rifles giving some better bullet velocity due to allowing a full burn of powder.
There's also a thread out there right now discussing some 10 inch barreled guns and long-distance shooting, so...
I might not be so worried about the long-distance thing, but it's good to learn.

Nowata

Single-Sixer
My hunting revolver(Bisley Hunter in .44) has a 7.5" barrel(longer sighting plane, tad more velocity). My shootin' revolver(5.5" bisley in .44) is the most balanced, and just looks right(my $.02). My concealed carry(Taurus 44 compact at 34 oz.) has a 4" ported barrel(conceals easy). I have heard a rumour there are other calibers, but, I'm skeptical.....

wolfee

Blackhawk
I have decided on a lot of guns looking at them "on paper". Then, when you finally get to handle and shoot one, all that theory goes out the window. If you like how it shoots, that's probably the one to buy. As far as barrel length/velocity goes, here is about the best piece of research you can find on the subject:

www.ballisticsbytheinch.com

Lee Martin

Hunter
There's no one size fits all. I personally like 6" on the nose. It provides a good sight pattern and is still easy to carry:

401_Bobcat_12.jpg

But I've settled on 6" for general work after trying many lengths. Everything from 2" - 12" to be exact. My CCWs are 2" - 2.5", my long-distance guns are 8" - 10.5". Six inches splits the difference well.

personal preferance and what "fits" what ever NEED / usage..thats why there are so many ,NO one size does NOT fit all, let alone the situation/use/need........your list covers and answers about each of your own questions when you stop and look at it, and THINK ?? visualize ?? and a little light will come....THEN each and everyone of US, has our OWN feelings, ideas, and "likes" for each of these situations/usage...by make, by model, by caliber and on and on................

two concepts ,feelings, quotes of the past.........." don;t take a knife to a gun fight...."

" you can kill an elephant with a .22...."

Bottom line is what YOU can afford ,shoot well with and feel comfortable using..................

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
You want a short barrel, they are fast handling, easy to carry, fast out of the holster. It's a handgun so most of your shooting will be close in.
PA310002.jpg

No wait. You want long barrels, they have a better sight radius, the longer barrel helps stabilize the bullet and burn all the powder. There's those time you may need to take that long shot. they aren't that bad to carry in a cross draw or shoulder rig.
SSbisleys.jpg

So maybe 5.5, best of both worlds
P1230004.jpg

but that 7/8's make's a difference on how long the barrel feels, plus they looks so nice even with the end of the ejector rod.
abilene05.jpg

No wonder they make so many different lengths :D
I started out with long barrel handguns, and though I still really like shooting them, the long ones don't get carried much. The 5.5 and 4 5/8 have a tendency to go with me when I can open carry. The little 3.5 spends the most time on my side, that an a 5 inch 32 Single Six. If i was going out hand gun hunting I'd take the longer barrels. My guns ride along with me to give comfort of knowing I have the resources available for protection, or that I can do some casual plinking, or even take some small game if I like. I apply the barrel length and caliber to what, in my mind, I believe is needed for me in my situation. how's that for a disclaimer :D

Rclark

Hunter
You really answered your own question.... Shorter barrels for carry... longer for hunting/long range shooting. Now if the gun is just going to be a range gun and not carried much... it really doesn't matter ... although I'd stay away from the real short < 4" barrels. I like 5 1/2" for general use but have revolvers from the 2 1/2" to 7 1/2" lengths. Your choice.... Just think of how you are planning to use it.

I have heard a rumour there are other calibers, but, I'm skeptical.....
Pssss. There is one out there called the .45 Colt ;) . It is the king of the cartridges you know ... yes, really ;) . You might want to look into it to get a 'real' cartridge instead of the baby .44 :D .

EDK

Single-Sixer
There ain't an easy answer. My preferred guns are 5.5 inch Original Size VAQUEROS, BUT I have a 3.5 and a 4 5/8 plus several 7.5 inch guns. You have to shoot them and carry them for awhile to shake down to what you want. Me, I have the luxury of multiple guns in multiple calibers and "dress for the occasion."

gramps

Hawkeye
Lots of good advice/comments. What to carry for me depends on purpose
, location, availability of ammo. Generally I like barrel lengths less
Than 5 inches. I had one Redhawk 7.5 inch barrel, and was very diss-
Appointed in its lack of accuracy. I've never had another gun of that length. Barrel
length is very subjective, and individual.
gramps

darkwater67

Single-Sixer
wolfee said:
I have decided on a lot of guns looking at them "on paper". Then, when you finally get to handle and shoot one, all that theory goes out the window. If you like how it shoots, that's probably the one to buy. As far as barrel length/velocity goes, here is about the best piece of research you can find on the subject:

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com

I really like to look at the Muzzle Energy graphs on that site, as it gives you a better visual representation of how barrel length affects each caliber than the tables do. If you look at the 44 mag graph, for example, you'll see that the rate of increase in muzzle energy starts to slow down after about a 5" barrel. For 45 Colt, it looks like a 6" barrel gives you the best return of muzzle energy per inch, at least for 2 out of the 3 rounds tested. Yes, muzzle energy does continue to increase after these barrel lengths, but just not at as fast a rate, and then you reach a plateau where adding more barrel length adds nothing to muzzle energy.

Rancher Will

Blackhawk
Perhaps the barrel length will be decided for most, depending on how and where the firearm is carried. I know that is what decided me, long ago.

As an LEO for 41 years I learned that my 4 inch S&W revolvers rode in the Bianchi Model 99 holsters on my right hip comfortably when I am sitting in a car or at my desk. Longer barrels on my hip tended to jab me in the short ribs when I was sitting where the seat can punch it up. So over the years the way I carry and the size of the barrels and the holsters that I use became second nature. I still carry the same way.

When I am working on my ranch, especially on horseback (my ranches are in the mountains of Colorado) I carry my old Ruger .44 Blackhawk in it's fast draw holster that I designed, modified from a Bianchi Border Patrol model 99. I modified it to carry safely on horseback so that it would not interfere with ropes, brush, active work, etc., and still be quick draw. My modification permits the Single Action to be drawn quick and still not be in danger of having it snagged and pulled out by my rope or tree branches, or just my action. The Blackhawk has the original 6 inch barrel carried on my right hip. I do not carry a double action revolver on horseback for safety reasons. And I normally do not carry the Blackhawk in towns, in an auto (except when I am in one of my trucks with a horse trailer, etc.). This is for comfort and convenience.